Sponsored

$430K accessory to your Rivian and it can charge your R1 too...

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Looks awesome, but they are going to have to do something with the weight. At 18k pounds, I am not aware of an EV with the capacity to tow one of these.
The dry weight is "only" 14.5k lbs, but it's still way too heavy for intended application.

My best guess is the intended use is "you live here and use it to charge your EV commuter," not "you tow this around the country with your EV."

Glad it exists, I guess - the price doesn't look as bad if you cross-shop it with Seattle houses ?‍?

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

The dry weight is "only" 14.5k lbs, but it's still way too heavy for intended application.

My best guess is the intended use is "you live here and use it to charge your EV commuter," not "you tow this around the country with your EV."

Glad it exists, I guess - the price doesn't look as bad if you cross-shop it with Seattle houses ?‍?
Yeah my thought too. Limits mobility a little bit with that intended use, but hopefully as battery tech progresses we see battery weights decrease.

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Maybe some manufacturer will make a similar trailer with electric motors for each axle to compensate for the weight . build an API to allow EV vehicles to control the motors of the trailer to be in sync with the EV truck/SUV pulling it.

Sponsored

lazjen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Software Engineer
Maybe some manufacturer will make a similar trailer with electric motors for each axle to compensate for the weight . build an API to allow EV vehicles to control the motors of the trailer to be in sync with the EV truck/SUV pulling it.
With some re-engineering, you could probably do a 2 motor, dual axis type setup, spreading the wheels further apart - just like a "normal" vehicle. Just like the EVs, the base of the unit is the battery pack (or most of the base). Build everything on top of that.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Looks awesome, but they are going to have to do something with the weight. At 18k pounds, I am not aware of an EV with the capacity to tow one of these.
While full BEV's may not work so well, luckily, I found a diesel/electric hybrid that should be capable enough to tow this thing:
Rivian R1T R1S $430K accessory to your Rivian and it can charge your R1 too... download (8)

Sadly, if you ever get off the beaten track with this thing, something has gone seriously wrong!

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
While full BEV's may not work so well, luckily, I found a diesel/electric hybrid that should be capable enough to tow this thing:
download (8).jpeg

Sadly, if you ever get off the beaten track with this thing, something has gone seriously wrong!
You kid, but I got embarrassingly far down the rabbit hole of researching a 4kw diesel generator to put in the back of my R1T for overlanding before I realized how silly I was being ?

The worst part is, my back-of-the-napkin math returns a pretty decent mileage (20-25 mpg) on the diesel inverter -> R1T rube goldberg device ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

You kid, but I got embarrassingly far down the rabbit hole of researching a 4kw diesel generator to put in the back of my R1T for overlanding before I realized how silly I was being ?

The worst part is, my back-of-the-napkin math returns a pretty decent mileage (20-25 mpg) on the diesel inverter -> R1T rube goldberg device ?
It's funny how many times I've tried to figure new ways to add charge and keep the dreaded Range Anxiety at bay. And you're right, that is a deep rabbit hole!

I guess I'll keep working on my rooftop wind turbine to capture all of that energy going to waste as I speed down the road. "The battery is almost gone! Go faster!"

Rivian R1T R1S $430K accessory to your Rivian and it can charge your R1 too... BD5CD8F4-1

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV
YUP ... none of the current EV's can handle 18K LBS

Sponsored

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
I was looking into one of these back in 2019 when they could be had for like $280K. But the price has skyrocketed and after I determined that even the Tri-Motor CyperTruck couldn't effectively tow it, I passed.

This trailer locks you into a diesel heavy duty pickup IMO. Something I did NOT want.
Sponsored