Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Level 2 chargers .... :facepalm:
You don't want people driving into the state parks just to DCFC!

I'm more concerned that they are only installing two per state park. Might have to wake up early if you want to plug in during a Weekend day hike.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
While they haven't decided yet, I hope they don't make them free to use. Much better chance of them being available for those that need them if they charge ~10% over home charging costs.
If they are free, EV owners will plug in whether they need to charge or not.
It will also be interesting to see if they commit to dedicating parking spots for EVs while charging only - sometimes parking can be an issue and ICEing could be an issue.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

This may have sealed the deal for my wife. We spend quite a bit of time climbing and trail running in state parks, and her biggest concern is range anxiety. Glad to see more from rivian in Colorado.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Totally jealous of Colorado. Upstate NY has virtually no charging. 99.5% of NY land mass gets zero attention all resources go to 0.5% of the state. Anyway... I hope more states get similar projects soon.

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I’m wondering if Rivian will offer free charging to any of its buyers. As a Tesla owner, I was able to secure lifetime use of supercharger network. Even though I charge mostly at home over night, I do take advantage of the charger network 2x/week. It’s a great opportunity to lower my costs of operations. One thought would be: Rivian offers is launch customers free charging. They could do this for the lifetime of the vehicle or for a set period of time. I would think any period of time is better than none. Cmon RJ with all of the BILLIONS in seed money, give your launch customers a great perk for being there at the beginning and paying a premium for that privilege.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I’m wondering if Rivian will offer free charging to any of its buyers. As a Tesla owner, I was able to secure lifetime use of supercharger network. Even though I charge mostly at home over night, I do take advantage of the charger network 2x/week. It’s a great opportunity to lower my costs of operations. One thought would be: Rivian offers is launch customers free charging. They could do this for the lifetime of the vehicle or for a set period of time. I would think any period of time is better than none. Cmon RJ with all of the BILLIONS in seed money, give your launch customers a great perk for being there at the beginning and paying a premium for that privilege.
From the announcement:

These DC fast chargers will be for Rivian owners only, with details on pricing and associated programs coming soon.

I’d infer from this that they won’t be free.

Reactions: Rad
OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
From the announcement:

These DC fast chargers will be for Rivian owners only, with details on pricing and associated programs coming soon.

I’d infer from this that they won’t be free.
I think the concept of lifetime free charging was something that will never be repeated after Tesla. In the early days, that was an almost necessary gimmick to motivate people to try electric. Now that EVs have been proven to be viable, it's an expense that no company will want to incur long term.

However, there's no reason that Rivian's pricing model couldn't include a free introductory period. That could be 3 months, a year, an $X credit toward charging with no expiration, etc. They may or may not offer such a promotion but I think it is premature to assume anything one way or the other.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
All state parks in Colorado will get electric vehicle charging stations in deal with EV maker Rivian

"The project aims to install two Rivian Level 2 chargers, which would be universally compatible with all EV makes and models in the U.S., at each of Colorado’s 42 state parks..."

https://coloradosun.com/2021/03/18/colorado-gets-electric-car-charges-for-all-parks/
1616077778953.png

For those of us who live in Colorado - this is amazing! For anyone who wants to visit, this is the perfect excuse!
Already had my plan Philly to Fort Collins planned out on ABRP. Now I have to rethink it.
FWIW it’s 36 hours with lots of Walmart stops ?

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
This is such fantastic news! We are huge fans of all the different types of open space in CO, from local, to state, to federal lands. Having chargers at all CO state parks is a wonderful plan!

Looking ahead to the future, the NW corner of the state is till a bit empty (can you say Dinosaur National Monument?!), as are the under-appreciated plains in the eastern part of the state. For those of you who haven't been to CO, only the western half of the CO "rectangle" is mountainous, the whole eastern half is open plains -- beautiful in their own way, especially when standing in a broad open area and just catching a hint of the massive peaks to the west of you.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Just texted my bud in Fort Collins and he’s like

Check out Colorado State Forest. It’s up west of Fort Collins in Jackson County. Lots of moose, fishing, 4wheeling, some sand dunes nearby. I think they rent cabins up there

Done and Done

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I think the concept of lifetime free charging was something that will never be repeated after Tesla. In the early days, that was an almost necessary gimmick to motivate people to try electric. Now that EVs have been proven to be viable, it's an expense that no company will want to incur long term.

However, there's no reason that Rivian's pricing model couldn't include a free introductory period. That could be 3 months, a year, an $X credit toward charging with no expiration, etc. They may or may not offer such a promotion but I think it is premature to assume anything one way or the other.
I’ve got that free lifetime charging and am a bit spoiled by it! I’m about to hand it down to my daughter when I get my Rivian.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I think it's wonderful that the CPWC was able to work through all of the issues and concerns raised during their meeting, yet still find a way to come together and unanimously accept this gracious gift. Rivian has made it possible for more people, from all walks of life, be they Coloradans, or visitors from elsewhere, to take in the beauty of their State for decades to come, all the while adding to its economy and taxbase when they visit. All this at little expense to Colorado and its citizens.

This increase in visits will continue as the cost of future EVs drop, as all technology does as it's being increasingly adopted by the masses. In the not too distant future, relatively inexpensive EVs with lower per mile costs and no tailpipe emissions will carry people from all socio-economic backgrounds to and from the four corners of Colorado as they conduct their daily lives. From this point forward, those who choose to move about in EVs will be able to gain a charge-up while visiting their State Parks. All this thanks to RJ and Rivian.

I think we all understand the concerns expressed, but if we are to "Believe the science", the world as a whole will be better off for the transformation to EVs and cleaner energy sources. New technologies, like most other forms of progress, are frequently disruptive and sometimes expensive, especially early on. Are the costs and benefits equally shared by all? Not possible. That has always been, and will always be the case. But will society as a whole be better off for this transformation? Pretty likely. Is it good to see that the CPWC was sensitive to all of these concerns? Of course it is.

Had we not adopted the automobile over a hundred years ago, where would be today? Stuck in traffic on horseback on Peña Boulevard, carry on luggage in one hand, a cell phone in the other, trying to arrange livery service at the Airport Stable, just two hours before our departure. What kind of Hell would that be? You think air quality is bad now? Imagine what it would like in that scenario!

Let's just celebrate this milestone event for what it is. A wonderful gift to the State of Colorado and to the future of the Electric Vehicle Movement!

Thank you, Rivian!

Last edited:

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
All state parks in Colorado will get electric vehicle charging stations in deal with EV maker Rivian

"The project aims to install two Rivian Level 2 chargers, which would be universally compatible with all EV makes and models in the U.S., at each of Colorado’s 42 state parks..."

https://coloradosun.com/2021/03/18/colorado-gets-electric-car-charges-for-all-parks/
1616077778953.png

For those of us who live in Colorado - this is amazing! For anyone who wants to visit, this is the perfect excuse!
This is awesome! Between the L2 chargers in Colorado state parks and the announcment of 600+ fast chargers I might have to bite the bullet and put a deposit down. I was going to hold out a few years until the charging network matured (and I saved enough money) but this is a game changer.

I agree, please come visit Colorado, it's an awesome place (but don't stay I'm having enough trouble trying to buy another house here! :)

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
But if it's an early 2000's Exx M5 with Clive Owen behind the wheel, he'd reverse power break perfectly into the spot after careening off an adjacent curb, and I'd applaud.

But yeah a current gen M3...nope. Is that ageism? Brandism? Modelism? ???
Pretty sure he’s referencing getting charge blocked by a Tesla model 3 (m3), not iced by a bmw m3. Both vehicles of which I approve, and great drivers cars, but hoping the rivian drives great on road and fantastic off-road.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Sounds like progress. I hope no fights break out when both of those charging stations are already taken at that state park. They will need a lot more at some parks soon.
Sponsored