40amp 6-50 outlet charging

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Easy peasy there is a button on the riven where you tell it the amps and it limits it to that in your charging menu.

So, I have a 6-50 plug on aChargepoint home plus on a 50 amp breaker. I tell the riven it is limited to 40 ams (what you pull on a 50abreaker with aplug). The riven pulls 20 mi per hour.

Bonus - check if you have a time of use plan. I am limiting my charging to that period 11 pm to 6 am, getting 55 percent overnight at a cost of $7.46 haha.

Sorry for the misspellings 'Rivian' is getting autocorrected.

Also note that if you just use the Riven charger that comes with the car (not buying a wall unit) you will need to convert or perhaps get an adapter (I don't know if they are safe) and will only pull 32 amps as that is the limited on the charger that comes free with the riven.
When you use an EVSE (like a Chargepoint ) you don’t have to set anything in the Rivian vehicle menu. The EVSE communicates with the vehicle telling the vehicle the maximum amps it can draw. Same with the Rivian portable charger (which is also an EVSE).
Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Thanks for all the helpful replies!
I never ordered the wall charger during any config steps so not locked into the old $500 pricing for the it unfortunately. Rivian has been adamant that I not use any adaptors, but I'm guessing that's just what they have to say. So looks like I'll think about it today: Adaptor vs Chargepoint vs full on Rivian wall charger.
Completing my 8 purchase steps today so looks like this is really finally happening!
Yeah, in that case definitely don’t buy the Rivian EVSE, it isn’t the best at the price. The charge cable is bulky, LED too bright, etc.

Rivian doesn’t want people to use adapters because their vehicle charging user interface is dodgy. It has a bad habit of resetting charging amps to the maximum value of the EVSE even after a person set it lower under various circumstances. That wouldn’t affect you since you’d charge at the EVSE maximum rate (32A if using the Rivian portable charger).

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yeah, in that case definitely don’t buy the Rivian EVSE, it isn’t the best at the price. The charge cable is bulky, LED too bright, etc.
The LED brightness issue was resolved in an OTA update.

I still think they should make it configurable, but their new default is much improved from what it was.

OP
OP

renton99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler, R1S (soon)
Occupation
Physician
Thanks again everyone!
One last question: We built the house 8yrs ago and I had them put the outlet in the garage, but at the time didn't specify anything but 240v. The fuse is 40amps. I have never ever used this outlet. Do I need to have an electrician at least inspect it for anything before I go charging my pricey new SUV? Or is it all pretty standard as far as wiring size, etc. and will be just fine.
I'm leaning toward getting the Chargepoint since we will in the near future likely be getting a Wrangler 4xe and it sounds like they also work well together.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Thanks again everyone!
One last question: We built the house 8yrs ago and I had them put the outlet in the garage, but at the time didn't specify anything but 240v. The fuse is 40amps. I have never ever used this outlet. Do I need to have an electrician at least inspect it for anything before I go charging my pricey new SUV? Or is it all pretty standard as far as wiring size, etc. and will be just fine.
I'm leaning toward getting the Chargepoint since we will in the near future likely be getting a Wrangler 4xe and it sounds like they also work well together.
If it's got a 40A breaker (and assuming you used a licensed electrician and everything was permitted and passed inspection) then you can safely charge at up to 32A, which is the max the included Rivian Mobile EVSE can charge at, anyway.

If you're going to buy a different EVSE then you'll just need to configure it to limit charging to 32A.

If you want to see if you can swap out for a larger circuit breaker, then you would need to ensure your panel has the capacity and check the wiring size and material, first.

Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Thanks again everyone!
I wouldn’t worry about it, just plug in and charge. EVSEs and car chargers have circuitry to detect weird electrical problems and will simply not charge if it detects anything squirrelly.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Doesn't a Tesla charger have an option for a 650 plug? Might be the easiest solution

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Doesn't a Tesla charger have an option for a 650 plug? Might be the easiest solution
Which Tesla charger? And he has a Rivian, which needs a J1772 plug. The Only Tesla charger that has a 6-50 plug option is the portable charger (called the Mobile Connector) for $230, then you'd have to buy the Tesla 6-50 adapter for $45, and then you'd have to buy a Lectron or other Tesla to J1772 adapter for $150 and then you'd be able to charge at a maximum of 32A.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

at the time didn't specify anything but 240v. The fuse is 40amps.
Hopefully it's a breaker panel on a new house, more a fuse box...
How far is your plug from the panel? If it's a short run, they could've gone thick. I'd suggest asking the electrician to either 1. Verify thickness, if short enough run and thick though gauge, you could replace the plug or hard wire in at a higher amp. Or 2. Just do a new (shorter) run from the panel with 60amp breaker and hardwire.

I highly suggest ChargePoint Home Flex, I love mine. 60 amp breaker, hardwired, 6 foot run from the panel. But I have propane water heater, oven/range, and furnace, so plenty of room on my 200amp panel.

OP
OP

renton99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler, R1S (soon)
Occupation
Physician
Just for additional info here’s some pics:
Rivian R1T R1S 40amp 6-50 outlet charging 26E892C4-E62C-4906-8738-2AAFC982F75C

Rivian R1T R1S 40amp 6-50 outlet charging 8F5600EE-FF46-4442-909A-B8BD5D6A30F0

Rivian R1T R1S 40amp 6-50 outlet charging 6AF0B615-70DB-4B3F-BE6B-40BDC61F249E

Also delivery moved up to this week :)

Sponsored

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
I had an N6-50 installed by request, don't need 2-phase, ordered our Grizzl-E EVSE 20 months ago with an N6-50 plug, zero issues with a Tesla and a Wrangler 4ex.

Later picked up an N6-50 adapter for my TMC (Tesla "portable" EVSE), so I'd have a backup :)
Sponsored