40amp 6-50 outlet charging

renton99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler, R1S (soon)
Occupation
Physician
My delivery window got moved up from Sept to now, so I'm scrambling for information and to get ready. I currently have a 40amp 240volt 6-50 outlet in my garage that I had installed when we built the house 8yrs ago. I'd like to use the portable charger included with the R1S, but it is 14-50. I'll have to get an electrician to convert it to a 14-50, but will the charger recognize the 40amp and not overload it? I'd like to keep my electrician costs down if possible. Sorry for the noob question to all the electrically competent members out there. My guide just keeps trying to sell me the wall charger and says to not use any outlet adaptors.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

OEM portable is limited to 32A, you'll be fine with an adapter, but if you plan on leaving it in place, check that it's plugged all the way in periodically.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My delivery window got moved up from Sept to now, so I'm scrambling for information and to get ready. I currently have a 40amp 240volt 6-50 outlet in my garage that I had installed when we built the house 8yrs ago. I'd like to use the portable charger included with the R1S, but it is 14-50. I'll have to get an electrician to convert it to a 14-50, but will the charger recognize the 40amp and not overload it? I'd like to keep my electrician costs down if possible. Sorry for the noob question to all the electrically competent members out there. My guide just keeps trying to sell me the wall charger and says to not use any outlet adaptors.
Depending on code, you may get some pushback. All EV outlets are to be on a gfci breaker if the code applies. Also, if code applies, a 40amp breaker with a 14-50 outlet should be used with devices permanently plugged in (e. g. oven).

Leaving that aside, converting from a 6-50, which is less universal in the states and usually used for welding, to a 14-50 should be minutes of effort.

The stock rivian portable charger should limit itself to 32 max amps.

Hardwiring a wall charger will usually eliminate the gfci code needs and such which can factor into cost comparisons.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Leaving that aside, converting from a 6-50, which is less universal in the states and usually used for welding, to a 14-50 should be minutes of effort.
NEMA 6-50 doesn't include neutral, which the NEMA 14-50 does have. If the neutral wire isn't present behind the outlet then it may not be as easy as swapping the outlet.

Personally, I wouldn't wire a NEMA 14-50 outlet without the neutral present. It could cause issues for future uses.

If the neutral wire isn't present, I'd either use an adapter (keeps it clear that neutral isn't present) OR purchase a hardwired EVSE (since they usually don't require the neutral).

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
NEMA 6-50 doesn't include neutral, which the NEMA 14-50 does have. If the neutral wire isn't present behind the outlet then it may not be as easy as swapping the outlet.

Personally, I wouldn't wire a NEMA 14-50 outlet without the neutral present. It could cause issues for future uses.

If the neutral wire isn't present, I'd either use an adapter (keeps it clear that neutral isn't present) OR purchase a hardwired EVSE (since they usually don't require the neutral).
Was assuming conduit and thhn was used for the outlet in the garage and could fish through a neutral eaaily. Probably a bad assumption on my part.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Was assuming conduit and thhn was used for the outlet in the garage and could fish through a neutral eaaily. Probably a bad assumption on my part.
Certainly possible…. But I wouldn’t assume.

OP
OP

renton99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Thanks for all the replies so far! I spoke with an electrician near me who does a ton of EV garage work, and he told me just to buy a Chargepoint charger with a 6-50 plug and that it would work with the Rivian. Does that sound like a viable option? Curious why Rivian wouldn't even mention that as an option for me. Is there something I'm missing?

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Rivian likely didn't mention that a third party charger is an option as they are in the business of selling Rivian wall chargers. We have a Wallbox and it charges both the Tesla Roadster and occasionally a friends Model 3 without any issues. When I get the Rivian, it'll also be charging the Rivian.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks for all the replies so far! I spoke with an electrician near me who does a ton of EV garage work, and he told me just to buy a Chargepoint charger with a 6-50 plug and that it would work with the Rivian. Does that sound like a viable option? Curious why Rivian wouldn't even mention that as an option for me. Is there something I'm missing?
A neutral :( Oh about the charger? A fully new EVSE is just more expensive than an adapter.

Kheires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X3M Comp, Travato 59K
This will work fine. I have two Chargepoint flex systems, one hardwired and one on a 14-50. When you set it up, it’ll ask you the outlet and amperage of the breaker. So it knows how much it can safely supply to the vehicle. Many electric suppliers have rebates for these EVSEs

weird that they installed a 6-50 outlet with a 40 amp breaker though. Wonder what wire gauge they used. You won’t be able to pull more than 80% of the total current the breaker/wire is rated for, so no benefit to the Chargepoint outside of having a standalone evse and any rebates

Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Obviously the easiest thing which would be DIY would be to get a charger with a 6-50 plug like your electrician recommended. But rather than getting the ChargePoint Flex with 6-50 plug for $750, get the Rivian charger for $500 if you still have that pricing and hardwire it. You'd still probably be cheaper than the $750 considering just a hour of flat rate labor from an electrician. (It's actually a very easy DIY)

There's dip switches on the charger to set to 32a. It's a 15 minute job to hardwire it assuming there's enough slack in the wire of the existing outlet. Otherwise will need to put a blank plate on that outlet and extend it to the hardwire charger.

If you ever decide to upgrade that circuit later and run larger gauge copper, you'll be able to go up to 48a charge rate on a 60a breaker which is more than that ChargePoint charger could provide.

Doubt an electrician left an extra neutral for a 14-50 and for all we know, plugging in the Rivian mobile charger to a 14-50 missing a neutral could probably throw a fault.

Also since your 6-50 has a 40a breaker it may trip after extended periods of charging unless you can limit the ChargePoint to 32a. Electrician should inspect the existing wire and run length to see if it can support a 50a breaker.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Yep you have options. The post above mine suggested buying a 6-50 to 14-50 dogbone adapter and using the Rivian portable charger. That’ll work fine and is the cheapest solution. The portable charger will charge at max. 32A.

Alternatively, buy an EVSE with a 6-50 plug and you’ll be able to charge at 40A.

Chargepoint is a good brand, I like ClipperCreek as well:

https://store.clippercreek.com/residential/40-amp-plu-charger-nema-6-50

The nice thing about both of these solutions is that no electrician is required.

OP
OP

renton99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Thanks for all the helpful replies!
I never ordered the wall charger during any config steps so not locked into the old $500 pricing for the it unfortunately. Rivian has been adamant that I not use any adaptors, but I'm guessing that's just what they have to say. So looks like I'll think about it today: Adaptor vs Chargepoint vs full on Rivian wall charger.
Completing my 8 purchase steps today so looks like this is really finally happening!

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Easy peasy there is a button on the riven where you tell it the amps and it limits it to that in your charging menu.

So, I have a 6-50 plug on aChargepoint home plus on a 50 amp breaker. I tell the riven it is limited to 40 ams (what you pull on a 50abreaker with aplug). The riven pulls 20 mi per hour.

Bonus - check if you have a time of use plan. I am limiting my charging to that period 11 pm to 6 am, getting 55 percent overnight at a cost of $7.46 haha.

Sorry for the misspellings 'Rivian' is getting autocorrected.

Also note that if you just use the Riven charger that comes with the car (not buying a wall unit) you will need to convert or perhaps get an adapter (I don't know if they are safe) and will only pull 32 amps as that is the limited on the charger that comes free with the riven.
Sponsored