Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Did a 400 mile Round Trip from Greenville, SC to Charleston and back with an overnight in Charleston. The entire trip was with a U-Haul open 5x9 trailer, empty on the way down and full on the way back.

Driving down with the empty trailer I managed 1.53 mi/kwh (compared to 2.2 or so with no trailer on a similar route) with cruise set at 60mph although I did hit a significant slow down north of Columbia. Stopped at the EA station in Columbia because it's literally the only DCFC on the route and it's roughly halfway.

Rivian R1T R1S 400 Mile Round Trip (GSP to CHS to GSP) with Trailer Towed by R1T Screenshot_20230106-195137

Rivian R1T R1S 400 Mile Round Trip (GSP to CHS to GSP) with Trailer Towed by R1T PXL_20230106_043534072

Rivian R1T R1S 400 Mile Round Trip (GSP to CHS to GSP) with Trailer Towed by R1T PXL_20230106_043741372_2

Got to the house with about 14% SoC and my neighbors had unintentionally ICEd me. Was not a happy camper. Desperate times call for creative solutions.

Rivian R1T R1S 400 Mile Round Trip (GSP to CHS to GSP) with Trailer Towed by R1T PXL_20230106_043624116.MP

Had to cut a notch out of the slats to fit the charger through. If anyone wants to complain about me rocking the sawzall at 11:30 pm they can come at me.

Loaded the trailer and left the house with a mostly full battery (94% SoC) this morning and stopped at the same EA station in Columbia with about 40% SoC running at a sleepy 55mph. Was getting about 1.6mi/kwh average most of the way so I probably could have been doing 60 or 65 mph but this was my first time pulling a trailer and I had no idea what to expect in terms of efficiency.
Rivian R1T R1S 400 Mile Round Trip (GSP to CHS to GSP) with Trailer Towed by R1T Screenshot_20230106-195211

Left the charger with 80% SoC and went back to 55mph, again the lack of DCFC on this route and not knowing what to expect with the elevation gain pulling a trailer so I went super conservative. Made it to the house with about 40% SoC so I definitely could have pushed it more. Even so, not a bad efficiency on the return trip with a full trailer.
Rivian R1T R1S 400 Mile Round Trip (GSP to CHS to GSP) with Trailer Towed by R1T PXL_20230106_201208433.MP

Rivian R1T R1S 400 Mile Round Trip (GSP to CHS to GSP) with Trailer Towed by R1T PXL_20230106_200919225

Total efficiency for the trip was 1.5 mi/kwh. It's a good reference point for me. I would not want to do this trip again until there are more DCFC along the route so I'd feel comfortable going faster.
Rivian R1T R1S 400 Mile Round Trip (GSP to CHS to GSP) with Trailer Towed by R1T PXL_20230106_201213193.MP
Sponsored

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
This is great information and helps to reinforce my decision to go ICE hybrid (Sequoia or Tundra) while I wait for better EV towing range and charging. Going east on I-40 in NC is similar.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Consider a J1772 extension cable in case of future ICE-ing. I think they come in lengths between 10ft and 40 ft.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
200 mi range isn't too bad, just reinforces the need for more aerodynamic trailers overall, and hopefully charging just gets better and more plentiful. Thankfully don't tow much, would hate to get a diff vehicle for that reason.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
If you weren’t towing would you still stop in Columbia? Or Walterboro / North Charleston instead? We’re going to St Helena island in April (from Taylors) and curious where I should expect to charge with no trailer. I’m assuming I’ll stop in Walterboro.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kurtlikevonnegut

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Consider a J1772 extension cable in case of future ICE-ing. I think they come in lengths between 10ft and 40 ft.
This was a real isolated incident involving terrible timing. Neighbors are getting work done and the contractor is using their driveway and we aren't at that house so we told them they could park in our driveway if needed. Just didn't expect the entire driveway to be blocked because my charger can reach either side. I do plan on getting an extension cable though for public ICEing. I also rolled in at 11:15 and they were already asleep and I wasn't going to go wake them up.
200 mi range isn't too bad, just reinforces the need for more aerodynamic trailers overall, and hopefully charging just gets better and more plentiful. Thankfully don't tow much, would hate to get a diff vehicle for that reason.
Yeah now that I have some data points I feel more comfortable. I'd probably feel ok doing 60-65 now which would make the drive easier, but I'd still like having DCFC options every 50 miles instead of every 100.
If you weren’t towing would you still stop in Columbia? Or Walterboro / North Charleston instead? We’re going to St Helena island in April (from Taylors) and curious where I should expect to charge with no trailer. I’m assuming I’ll stop in Walterboro.
If I'm not towing I can do that drive without stopping (have done it several times) in All Purpose at 72mph on a full charge. Not sure what the distance is to St. Helena compared to West Ashley where my house is, but if you're going down I-95 to Walterboro I'd charge there instead unless you want to detour through Charleston. The EA station at the Target in North Chuck is the only DCFC in the area and it's probably the worst EA station I've used. Will you have a charger on St. Helena where you're staying?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
If I'm not towing I can do that drive without stopping (have done it several times) in All Purpose at 72mph on a full charge. Not sure what the distance is to St. Helena compared to West Ashley where my house is, but if you're going down I-95 to Walterboro I'd charge there instead unless you want to detour through Charleston. The EA station at the Target in North Chuck is the only DCFC in the area and it's probably the worst EA station I've used. Will you have a charger on St. Helena where you're staying?
We’re staying in a rental so I highly highly doubt it has 240v or a charger. I’ll bring the mobile charger with me just in case but I’m not expecting it.

OP
OP
kurtlikevonnegut

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

We’re staying in a rental so I highly highly doubt it has 240v or a charger. I’ll bring the mobile charger with me just in case but I’m not expecting it.
Yeah I'd assume if your rental doesn't specify having an EV charger that it won't be available, although if it has a laundry machine and you get creative with an extension cable you might be able to make it work. I mainly ask to understand if you can show up with a very low SoC because you have on site charging or if you'll want to show up with a decent cushion. I've never been to the charger in Walterboro because I try to avoid that part of the state at all cost, but the one in Columbia isn't terrible and it's very easy to get to, but if you charge there you might be rolling onto the island with a very low SoC.

genepopemt

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Ford F-350
Occupation
retired
Did a 400 mile Round Trip from Greenville, SC to Charleston and back with an overnight in Charleston. The entire trip was with a U-Haul open 5x9 trailer, empty on the way down and full on the way back.

Driving down with the empty trailer I managed 1.53 mi/kwh (compared to 2.2 or so with no trailer on a similar route) with cruise set at 60mph although I did hit a significant slow down north of Columbia. Stopped at the EA station in Columbia because it's literally the only DCFC on the route and it's roughly halfway.

Screenshot_20230106-195137.png

PXL_20230106_043534072.jpg

PXL_20230106_043741372_2.jpg

Got to the house with about 14% SoC and my neighbors had unintentionally ICEd me. Was not a happy camper. Desperate times call for creative solutions.

PXL_20230106_043624116.MP.jpg

Had to cut a notch out of the slats to fit the charger through. If anyone wants to complain about me rocking the sawzall at 11:30 pm they can come at me.

Loaded the trailer and left the house with a mostly full battery (94% SoC) this morning and stopped at the same EA station in Columbia with about 40% SoC running at a sleepy 55mph. Was getting about 1.6mi/kwh average most of the way so I probably could have been doing 60 or 65 mph but this was my first time pulling a trailer and I had no idea what to expect in terms of efficiency.
Screenshot_20230106-195211.png

Left the charger with 80% SoC and went back to 55mph, again the lack of DCFC on this route and not knowing what to expect with the elevation gain pulling a trailer so I went super conservative. Made it to the house with about 40% SoC so I definitely could have pushed it more. Even so, not a bad efficiency on the return trip with a full trailer.
PXL_20230106_201208433.MP.jpg

PXL_20230106_200919225.jpg

Total efficiency for the trip was 1.5 mi/kwh. It's a good reference point for me. I would not want to do this trip again until there are more DCFC along the route so I'd feel comfortable going faster.
PXL_20230106_201213193.MP.jpg

genepopemt

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Ford F-350
Occupation
retired
Just for a comparison. I recently had to go from the farm (middle of nowhere ) to Missoula to pick up a 20' tilt bed trailer.
Truck: Ford F350 super duty, 2017
Registered for 26,000 pound GCVWR (it could have been registered for much higher but that brings a whole other set of regulations to play)
Tire: 18" all terrain XO
Right now I have about 1,000 pounds in the bed to give better traction in the snow.
We typically get 16 MPG (diesel) at highway speeds (70 MPH) and have a full tank range of about 470 miles
The total trip was 280 miles, half with no trailer and half with the trailer loaded with some livestock panels. Total trailer weight about 5,500 pounds.
Average mileage for the whole trip: 15 MPG. No stops for refuel. There was still 170 miles of range left when we got home and it took me less than 10 minutes to "recharge" the fuel tank.
Whenever they do finally decide to delivery my R1S I will enjoy the heck out of it, use it as my daily driver and even go on some trips but I am really glad that I have the F350 when I need to do the heavy work.

Shawnkaplan00

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
TechSales
Good intel. In September I’m going to be driving ~12 hours from Philly to SC for a beach vacation with 4 adults and I’m considering pulling my small 4x8 “toy” trailer. It’s a light folding trailer that I barely notice on my ICE. And then the following year I’m considering driving to Denver - and may load up that same trailer with camping gear.
It’s either pull the trailer or fill up the bed…and maybe use one of those hitch racks. For CO I’d like to bring bikes too though. so I’m leaning towards the trailer.
Sponsored