Sponsored

4 hr trip for a "first mile" - is it worth it WA to OR

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Since apparently WA continues to have its head up its butt *they bill has repeated not passed thanks to a bunch of jackhole dealership complainers*, we can't seem to do first mile trips here for whatever reason.

So, that being said - on the Rivian site, my first mile invite has finally opened up, but it's in Portland Oregon, so a nearly 4 hour trip each way for me (8 hours round trip min).

Is it worth it? I have yet to ride in a Rivian, let alone sit in one. I've seen them, touched them etc. The local exotic car dealer seems put off by the idea of test drives (apparently you're supposed to just buy one).

How important was the first mile drive for you, was it a decision maker/breaker? Is it worth what at best will be a full day trip, if not an overnight.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's obviously up to you. I really appreciated it, and appreciated going through the truck with a Rivan rep. The alternative (and what I'd probably do with it in Portland) is to see if you can hop in a ride or drive an owner's truck at one of the social events.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yes, definitely worth it. You deserve to sit in and drive the vehicle you plan on spending all that money on. Then you will either feel like it’s not as good as you thought or like it was for me, it’s even better than you thought, making the wait even harder :like:

Grab yourself a Whole Bowl while your down there and make it a nice day.

jasonphoto01

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 1976 Ford Bronco, 2018 RR Sport
Occupation
Medical Field
It was nice, but it only solidified my current position of buying one. There were no big surprises or epiphanies, as everything I had read and seen on countless blogs, forums, and youtube videos was spot on. Essentially it was just foreplay, but I loved it! Have you considered renting one locally for a day off Turo?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
It was nice, but it only solidified my current position of buying one. There were no big surprises or epiphanies, as everything I had read and seen on countless blogs, forums, and youtube videos was spot on. Essentially it was just foreplay, but I loved it! Have you considered renting one locally for a day off Turo?
I thought about this, but there are no R1S listed locally. I could do this with the R1T, but I was hoping not to become tainted by the R1T having a different ride/feel than the R1S as many have said.

That being said, I don't even know if the first mile would be in an R1S, so it may not be relevant.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
You could always just stalk one of the forum members here who list "Kirkland" as their location! :)

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I was 100% all in on purchasing the R1T but after my first mile, I was 1000%. :CWL:

I took a 3 hour bus ride for my first mile on a Friday, and then my wife came to pick me up the next day. I stayed at a buddies house nearby so it wasn't so bad and we got to catch up

It was definitely worth it, and that Monday after I got an email from Rivian to start my 8 steps and then I had my R1T on that Friday, literally a week after my first mile. Coincidence?

The only negative thing about the first mile is it really made me want the Rivian even more and for the 3 days leading up to the 8 steps email I almost wish I hadn't driving the Rivian because how much more I wanted one. I couldn't imagine doing the first mile and then waiting months (or even years) later to get one. The anxiousness would kill me!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It was definitely worth it, and that Monday after I got an email from Rivian to start my 8 steps and then I had my R1T on that Friday, literally a week after my first mile. Coincidence?
Try being one of the people who got it in 2021.

Legi0n

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Blue
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Since apparently WA continues to have its head up its butt *they bill has repeated not passed thanks to a bunch of jackhole dealership complainers*, we can't seem to do first mile trips here for whatever reason.

So, that being said - on the Rivian site, my first mile invite has finally opened up, but it's in Portland Oregon, so a nearly 4 hour trip each way for me.

Is it worth it? I have yet to ride in a Rivian, let alone sit in one. I've seen them, touched them etc. The local exotic car dealer seems put off by the idea of test drives (apparently you're supposed to just buy one).

How important was the first mile drive for you, was it a decision maker/breaker? Is it worth what at best will be a full day trip, if not an overnight.
For me it made all the difference. Having said that, I have had mine since May. Come down to Renton and buy me a beer and I'll let you drive mine for an hour and answer any question you have. I got mine some time ago but driving it for real made me comfortable with the choice. Just got back from testing the RAN charging network from here to the North CA coast and back at no cost. Feel free to DM. PDX is a long way.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I got invited November 2021 and missed the last drive window by like 4 hours. I asked the traveling team at the time if they'd wait a few more hours for my ship to pull in, I was literally returning from a 5 month patrol/circumnavigation of North America the same day, alas they declined.

Luckily they let my wife drive it and she liked it so much, we got the R1S reserved a few weeks later. My "first drive" was at delivery and it was a blast. It felt like Christmas! I kept asking if I could floor it, and he said "It's your truck now, I'm just here to show you how it works." I promptly floored it through SoDo.

The delivery agent asked me to sign a waiver for taking photos of delivery, on base in front of our big red ice breaker, and I kindly declined. You had your chance, and y'all blew it!

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
I took delivery then was I invited to a first mile drive 2-3 months later 🤷‍♂️. It wouldn’t have changed anything but it’s still worth doing.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I drove 4 hours for my test drive last summer…and got invited to the R1 Shop the next day. It was a fun experience and worth it to us. We made a weekend of the trip. Do it.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

The R1S is available for first drives in Portland, but it’s in higher demand so you have to schedule it out further, especially on weekends.

My Seattle first drive got canceled a few days ahead of its planned date, and they never gave me a reason. A few months later my guide confirmed it was because Rivian doesn’t have a dealer law. A very kind forum member (actually a couple) contacted me and we were able to meet up with an R1T owner and check out the car for probably an hour, plus a drive. It was very helpful. I’ve been mulling over whether we go to Portland so we can compare the R1S and R1T side by side. I think we will, but I’m waiting until I need to go to Portland for something else as well.

My advice is try to find someone local to show you their car. 8 hours for a 45 minute dog and pony show doesn’t make sense to me.
Sponsored