godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
uh, Mustang Mach-E (tesla fanboi)
Is that a self - incriminating statement? ? And while I agree that the reviews of the Mach-E have been quite positive, it's looks keep it out of the exceptional category for me...

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

just saying the EV press across the board has been very favorable for the Mach-E including head-to-head comparisons to Tesla.

btw - I very much admire Tesla vehicles. just giving Ford credit where credit is due

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
In general I'd take a Mach E over a Model Y personally. There are some design decisions with the Mach E that keep me from buying it (like the lack of roof rails and super low clearance), but it's a pretty decent car/EV.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
So far, Ford has not produced an exceptional EV.
Hopefully the EV-150 does better, but I would not wager on it.
Depends upon your definition of "exceptional". Bumpers falling off during rainstorm like Tesla? Random braking issues during autopilot? Chronic quality control issues that the company refuses to address?

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
uh, Mustang Mach-E (tesla fanboi)
While the press has been favorable, I wouldn't say it was exceptional. This of course depends on your definition of exceptional.
What about the Mach-E makes it exceptional to you?

What Evs are exceptional?

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I rate it 'exceptional' that it actually meets or beats its claimed EPA mileage. I hear Tesla's struggle with that in the real world only because Elon makes em claim values on the limits edge.

If you watch technical reviews about the chassis and suspension design that's another attribute where the Mach-E avoided the typical Ford bean-counter compromises.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

So, Joe wasn't wearing a mask, but the non-breathing Ford was? What's the science behind that? Is CARVID-21 a thing? Yeah, yeah, I know.....the big reveal's not til tomorrow.

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
In the pictures it looks like the Lightning has an opening roof! Come on Rivian, take your top off!

Edit: under closer examination, it looks like I mistook the reflection of the flag as an opening. Very disappointing...

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Is that a self - incriminating statement? ? And while I agree that the reviews of the Mach-E have been quite positive, it's looks keep it out of the exceptional category for me...
Everything about the Mach-E has been exceptional… “for a Ford.”

It’s definitely great, and it shows great promise as a show of what we can come to expect from Ford, hopefully.

Sponsored

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Everything about the Mach-E has been exceptional… “for a Ford.”

It’s definitely great, and it shows great promise as a show of what we can come to expect from Ford, hopefully.
And I think the GT version will be more so.
It was a very very difficult decision for me a couple weeks ago to cancel my very early pre-order and not convert to an order. Ultimately, I still felt Rivian offered a better value proposition ... but I’m sure I would’ve been happy with the GT if there was no Rivian.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
In the pictures it looks like the Lightning has an opening roof! Come on Rivian, take your top off!

Edit: under closer examination, it looks like I mistook the reflection of the flag as an opening. Very disappointing...
Need to throw it some beads! #mardigras.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Here's a hi-res image of the truck skateboard. Clearly has independent, control-arm rear setup which makes it the first (non Raptor) F-150 to have IRS. Those covers or canisters on the rear sure look like possibly air-suspension? [upon closeup viewing seems to show only a traditional coil-over shock setup]. I would expect it to have some kind of active-control system for dealing with tow-loads and need for self-leveling. You can see clear differences (cost/complexity reduction) in how the battery pack bolts to the subframe and uprights for suspension hardpoints are bent steel. But it looks like a decent volume for a sizeable battery pack.

That wheel & tire package has unusual proportions compared to a traditional truck setup. At least 21-22" wheels with aero-smoothing design and rather low-profile rubber. The tire width and tread are EV range optimized and almost useless for off-roading. Of course there will likely be more adventure oriented trims with different wheel/tire setups much like Rivian's doing.

Also, notice in the left background the wall of electrical sockets in 120v and 240v with all the power tools and field equipment nearby. This confirms that Ford intends to equip the Lightning with similar (or more) capable ProPower Onboard. That's a real and useful differentiator for Ford.

Those rear disc brakes in the second photo seem pretty large too. Clearly will be a heavy beast.

Rivian R1T R1S 4.4s 0-60 MPH For 2022 F-150 Lightning EV F150-EV Chassis pic

Rivian R1T R1S 4.4s 0-60 MPH For 2022 F-150 Lightning EV F150-EV Chassis pic2

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
This is definitely one area that Rivian could of, and should of provided more of. Having a couple of 120V outlets is nice but not something that can provide backup emergency power in desperate times.
I think Rivian has capabilities that haven't been announced yet.

And while I agree that the reviews of the Mach-E have been quite positive, it's looks keep it out of the exceptional category for me...
I see the Mach E as very solid, and I vastly prefer its looks over Model Y. Not exceptional, but more compelling than many other options on the market.
Sponsored