Sponsored

4/20: Tesla INCREASED prices on Model S/X. (Lol)

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Tesla Inc. increased prices of its Model S and Model X vehicles in the US, after the company’s shares slumped as steep markdowns earlier this year took a significant toll on profitability.

The starting price of variants of the premium Model S sedans and Model X sports utility vehicles were raised by $2,500, or about 2% to 3%, according to the automaker’s US website. The latest staring prices of both models are $87,490 and $97,490, respectively.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-price-of-model-s-x-in-us-after-shares-slump
Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Seems odd. I bet they drop within 30 days.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
I would pay $2,500 for unlimited Tesla supercharging for 3 years. They increased the price but are now including 3 years unlimited super charging. Seems like a fare trade.

If they do the same to the Y I’ll order one immediately. Been looking for another vehicle.

Tesla Inc. increased prices of its Model S and Model X vehicles in the US, after the company’s shares slumped as steep markdowns earlier this year took a significant toll on profitability.

The starting price of variants of the premium Model S sedans and Model X sports utility vehicles were raised by $2,500, or about 2% to 3%, according to the automaker’s US website. The latest staring prices of both models are $87,490 and $97,490, respectively.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-price-of-model-s-x-in-us-after-shares-slump

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I would pay $2,500 for unlimited Tesla supercharging for 3 years. They increased the price but are now including 3 years unlimited super charging. Seems like a fare trade.

If they do the same to the Y I’ll order one immediately. Been looking for another vehicle.
That's a lot of supercharging. Average supercharger cost is $0.25/kWh, Model S has a 100kWh battery and 4.0 mi/kWh. That's ~40,000 miles or ~100 'full tanks'! (more realistically, ~200 supercharger visits).

I couldn't even drive 40k miles in 3 years if I tried, let alone making my only source of charging being a supercharger.

Sponsored

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Here around us in Southern California, they tend to be $0.34-$0.52/kWh and we drive 15k-20k per year. It would easily make up for the $2,500.

not saying I’m going to pull the trigger. But makes it much more tempting. We’ve actually found driving the R1S is MORE expensive to drive per mile than the highlander hybrid we sold. due to utility rates in our area. Even with the high price of California gas.

That's a lot of supercharging. Average supercharger cost is $0.25/kWh, Model S has a 100kWh battery and 4.0 mi/kWh. That's ~40,000 miles or ~100 'full tanks'! (more realistically, ~200 supercharger visits).

I couldn't even drive 40k miles in 3 years if I tried, let alone making my only source of charging being a supercharger.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Here around us in Southern California, they tend to be $0.34-$0.52/kWh and we drive 15k-20k per year. It would easily make up for the $2,500.

not saying I’m going to pull the trigger. But makes it much more tempting. We’ve actually found driving the R1S is MORE expensive to drive per mile than the highlander hybrid we sold. due to utility rates in our area. Even with the high price of California gas.
Add in that stupid vampire drain and it is definitely expensive. Our rates are close to that in the Bay Area as well. Model Y is still have the cost of our ICE car but a R1 is half as efficient and likely cost the same as ICE. The convenience factor is no gas station stops for day to day use.

I’ve been looking at plug in Hybrids. I really wanted to like the XC90 recharge but the electric heater tends to fail often an is an expensive repair. I also considered the Aviator as it qualifies
For the tax credit but it’s a Ford and the hybrid interface just isn’t as good. I know I’ll miss the single pedal driving I’ve grown fond of. Land Rover is supposed to have a plug in but their history of electronics is questionable. The BMW X5 is also questionable in terms of reliability. My ideal state would be to have a plug in hybrid SUV with total electric HVAC and a range of 30 miles on battery. So far that’s unicorn thinking.

Krusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ninety Eight 90 Supra 90 Range Rover
Occupation
Business Owner
Add in that stupid vampire drain and it is definitely expensive. Our rates are close to that in the Bay Area as well. Model Y is still have the cost of our ICE car but a R1 is half as efficient and likely cost the same as ICE. The convenience factor is no gas station stops for day to day use.

I’ve been looking at plug in Hybrids. I really wanted to like the XC90 recharge but the electric heater tends to fail often an is an expensive repair. I also considered the Aviator as it qualifies
For the tax credit but it’s a Ford and the hybrid interface just isn’t as good. I know I’ll miss the single pedal driving I’ve grown fond of. Land Rover is supposed to have a plug in but their history of electronics is questionable. The BMW X5 is also questionable in terms of reliability. My ideal state would be to have a plug in hybrid SUV with total electric HVAC and a range of 30 miles on battery. So far that’s unicorn thinking.
Lexus should be coming out with the RX450h plugin later this year or you can wait 4 months for a NX450 plugin. The RX should be around 30 miles while the NX is around 40 miles per charge.

Krusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ninety Eight 90 Supra 90 Range Rover
Occupation
Business Owner

Wow! Your utility rates are really high. Do you have an option to get contracted rates through a co-op program? You could add solar panels to reduce your bill but then there is the payback for that investment to factor in. What has been your average efficiency for your R1S including the vampire drain? I have an Q4 delivery estimate but based on some of the quirkiness of the software/hardware and low efficiency, I'm having second thoughts.

We have been historically a Toyota/Lexus hybrid family so efficiency and quality are something we value. The RZ450e we ordered for my wife to replace our 13 year old Venza just arrived yesterday. We are going this afternoon to test drive it to make sure my wife likes it. She doesn't really drive more than 9000 miles a year so the limited range of it doesn't worry us (yet).

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
My ideal state would be to have a plug in hybrid SUV with total electric HVAC and a range of 30 miles on battery. So far that’s unicorn thinking.
Agreed, that would be the ideal configuration, especially for someome who regularly does long distance driving.

It shouldn’t be a unicorn, but most manufacturers are dropping PHEVs like a hot potato, except the Japanese. In addition to Toyota/Lexus, a possible contender would be the new Mazda CX-90 PHEV.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The Mazda CX-90 PHEV only has a 17.8kWh battery which is good for about 30mi electric range. Just too small of a battery IMO to be practical. If they had only added a little more capacity (say 25kWh usable) to get 50mi EV range the Mazda CX-90 PHEV could be a serious contender for those who only need to tow up to 3,500 lbs.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
The Mazda CX-90 PHEV only has a 17.8kWh battery which is good for about 30mi electric range. Just too small of a battery IMO to be practical. If they had only added a little more capacity (say 25kWh usable) to get 50mi EV range the Mazda CX-90 PHEV could be a serious contender for those who only need to tow up to 3,500 lbs.
My concern on Mazda is the lack of luxury internally as well as inherent road noise with that brand. However, I will be looking into this as an option.

I’d love a Defender 110 but convincing the wife to buy a gas guzzling British car is going to be impossible. With EV or PHEV, I can substantient it by less maintenance or fuel costs. Plus, filling up an ICE gas tank is so annoying vs plugging in. If I only had to fill up ever 4-6 weeks, no biggie. Filling up weekly or every two weeks is too much effort for me.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This is exactly what I mentioned in the price decrease thread. This makes Tesla look like they can't make up their minds about where they need to price their products. This flakiness is not good for their short or long term corporate image.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This is exactly what I mentioned in the price decrease thread. This makes Tesla look like they can't make up their minds about where they need to price their products. This flakiness is not good for their short or long term corporate image.
This is only the case because Tesla's price adjustments are made directly to the MSRP due to their no discount policy. Fundamentally they are doing the same thing other automakers do when the MSRP stays the same and incentives change monthly or quarterly, only with Tesla it's a MSRP adjustment and you never know exactly when the price is going to change. I'm not sure why they do things differently, maybe just because they can, but it certainly generates attention.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
IMO, this makes clear that Tesla has no real desire to mass produce (on the scale of the M3 and MY) the Model S and X. They'll still be happy to take your money for one of those labor intense to build models... but you'll pay through the nose for it. Frankly, I'm pretty amazed they even continue to build the S or X at this point where the 3 and Y are so much easier and profitable to build.
Sponsored