cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

There was a while where there was a bunch of miscellaneous stuff people were designing and putting out on Thingiverse for 3d printing and I've noticed they've since disappeared. Are Rivian lawyers ordering takedowns or something? I thought it was rather curious that they're 100% gone from Thingiverse, at least when searching for "Rivian."
Sponsored

OP
OP
cjbot3000

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I saw some in printables, but not a lot of the same stuff that was in thingiverse. Any insight regarding moves to printables?
Thingiverse owners have done nothing to improve the site. itā€™s not curated and there is a ton of poor or unprintable designs there. Itā€™s the Facebook of 3D sites. Printables is much better So people are just migrating, like Twitter to Mastodon.

OP
OP
cjbot3000

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

Thingiverse owners have done nothing to improve the site. itā€™s not curated and there is a ton of poor or unprintable designs there. Itā€™s the Facebook of 3D sites. Printables is much better So people are just migrating, like Twitter to Mastodon.
Ha perfect analogies, thanks! Just recently started 3D printing and don't know the lay of the land, yet.

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Slightly off topic fellas. I just bought my niece a 3D printer as her college graduation gift. That has renewed my interest in starting this as a new hobby. Any suggestions on tutorials (books, youtube, etc.) for getting started?

Mucho Gracias

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

For me the key to fun of 3D printing is designing your own unique solutions to fix things that break or just making fun new things. Lots of freeware out there for design. Tinkered, Sketchup etc. But I prefer Fusion 360. Very powerful. Steep learning curve. There are hundreds of hours of great videos by Brad Tallis of Autodesk, the company that makes Fusion. He explains things very well.

OP
OP
cjbot3000

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

For me the key to fun of 3D printing is designing your own unique solutions to fix things that break or just making fun new things. Lots of freeware out there for design. Tinkered, Sketchup etc. But I prefer Fusion 360. Very powerful. Steep learning curve. There are hundreds of hours of great videos by Brad Tallis of Autodesk, the company that makes Fusion. He explains things very well.
This has been my roadblock - I've tried fusion 360 and FreeCAD so far; the learning curve on FreeCAD is ridiculous and a graphics driver update broke fusion... I'm getting extraordinarily frustrated with the endeavor.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
Slightly off topic fellas. I just bought my niece a 3D printer as her college graduation gift. That has renewed my interest in starting this as a new hobby. Any suggestions on tutorials (books, youtube, etc.) for getting started?

Mucho Gracias
There are some basic printing tutorials out there to search for, I don't have any specific recommendations. But each type of printer is a bit different in how you would approach printing stuff. The best way to learn is to just play and sites like Thingiverse and Printables will let you download all kinds of things to play with.

Where it all gets even more fun and rewarding is to start creating your own stuff. We use Revit and SolidWorks, both of which are on the pricey side -- unless you can get student access. There are other inexpensive, even free, modeling apps out there. We use Blender (free) for a lot of our more creative design work. Used to use some of the bigger commercial apps for years, but Blender has become very powerful.

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I'd suggest starting with Tinkercad. It's low-key super powerful and a wonderful primer in the area in general.

I also wish there was something that was slightly more powerful than Tinkercad, but not as full featured as Fusion360. It's overkill for what I do and I still find it - despite having 20+ years in IT - as overly complex.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I'd suggest starting with Tinkercad. It's low-key super powerful and a wonderful primer in the area in general.

I also wish there was something that was slightly more powerful than Tinkercad, but not as full featured as Fusion360. It's overkill for what I do and I still find it - despite having 20+ years in IT - as overly complex.
One of the few other in-between options is SketchUp, which has it's own issues (especially with precise design), but can handle a bit more complexity than Tinkercad.

I haven't used it much, but there's also FreeCAD, which at least is free (Autodesk makes using Fusion360 as a hobbiest an unpleasant experience, IMO).

But yeah, I wish there was something that was both simpler to use, but had a few more features (like chamfering, filleting, and extruding along a path).

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Hereā€˜s a decent overview document from Prusa, a manufacturer popular with hobbyists and small, basic production shops.

Hereā€˜s another from instructables.

The industry is changing as fast as the EV industry, so any basic overview information online older than 6 to 12 months is probably not current with respect to specific machines or manufacturers.

I started with a Kickstarter printer build it yourself kit about five years ago.I have AutoCAD experience, so I went with Fusion 360. Itā€™s powerful but has a steep, non-intuitive learning curve. I have not used any other design software so I can comment further on other options.

Debates on printer manufacturers are as spirited as EV debates, lol. Prusa is a popular choice, although they seem to be falling behind on innovative tech. Be prepared to spend time doing hardware maintenance and troubleshooting with Prusa and similar devices. They are kinda like ā€œ3D Printing 1.0ā€ machines.

There are a new breed of printers coming to market that are ā€œ3D Printing 2.0ā€ machines. They work out of the box, have more sophisticated firmware, multiple built in sensors such as LIDAR, AI based vision inspection systems, etc. which streamline and automate the process. I recently bought a Bambu Labs X1C with a 4 color feeder and am quite happy with it.

But make no mistake - 3D printing is not nearly as refined as printing with an inkjet printer. There is plenty that can and will go wrong that you will have to learn to troubleshoot.ā€ Spaghetti monstersā€ are a good example šŸ˜‚

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Printed Rivian Stuff on Thingiverse Gone AA745322-FAAD-4EF6-BBA4-6C572C786AF5

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

As a programmer i use OpenSCAD. Reminds me a lot of the old opengl days.
Sponsored