Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
This is awesome! I had this one for my Tacoma. Maybe you could try making a similar arrangement for the bottom area with this top caddy/organizer on top of a multi-compartment bottom section?

The OP's design here is much nicer than what I have, but I worked a litte on something like you suggest, will post on thingiverse and printables.com when I clean it up. Unless the OP objects, I may modify his top tray with the coin dish to fit on my bottom tray, leaving a corner cut out to allow an umbrella to fit (longer than the height of my bottom tray). This draft still has a few "artifacts" I need to fix..... I also had a version with all 4 sides (see below), may go back to that, a draft of that took 18+ hours to print, and 400 gms of filament.

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files console organizer R 2

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files console organizer R.JPEG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files console organizer R 4

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files console organizer R 3
Sponsored

Last edited:

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Rivian should buy this from you and make it an official accessory. I would take one.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This is similar to what I have in the works. I was planning on making the panels interlocking so they could be slid together, having it a bit lower, and having two optional caps that one could install with t channels on the bottom to have them sort of sit on top. I was also debating on putting a pattern into the panels. (currently leaning toward a rounded square reminiscent of the Rivian logo.

I think this would be awesome with a hangable, slidable bin at the top of the center console.

Sponsored

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
The OP's design here is much nicer than what I have, but I worked a litte on something like you suggest, will post on thingiverse and printables.com when I clean it up. Unless the OP objects, I may modify his top tray with the coin dish to fit on my bottom tray, leaving a corner cut out to allow an umbrella to fit (longer than the height of my bottom tray). This draft still has a few "artifacts" I need to fix..... I also had a version with all 4 sides (see below), may go back to that, a draft of that took 18+ hours to print, and 400 gms of filament.

console organizer R 2.jpg

console organizer R.JPEG

console organizer R 4.jpg

console organizer R 3.jpg
What I like about your design, is that it’s all accessible without removing anything. I bought a tray that went above the organizer for my Tacoma, but it was annoying to have to fully remove it to access the stuff below it, so I didn’t end up using it.

I could see there being a coin/card organizer that fit above half of the insert you designed (spanning two compartments horizontally), which you could pick up and set down on either the front or back section of compartments to access the ones you need (I may have to draw and post a photo if that doesn’t make sense with words). I would buy what you made in a heartbeat.

On another thread, a user showed me this simple organizer for the front floor area that is perfect (for me anyways)! I just purchased it and am excited because it solves the problem I’d been having with my larger water bottle flopping around. I thought I’d share in case anyone here also has that problem:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1248679346/

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I could see there being a coin/card organizer that fit above half of the insert you designed (spanning two compartments horizontally), which you could pick up and set down on either the front or back section of compartments to access the ones you need (I may have to draw and post a photo if that doesn’t make sense with words). I would buy what you made in a heartbeat.
I agree, makes sense if I understand right. . I had sort of put a flange on top of the diveders so a tray could sit on that could move back and forth. But the flange scrapes my hand each time I reach down to the bottom of the deep console.

On another thread, a user showed me this simple organizer for the front floor area that is perfect (for me anyways)! ........................ I thought I’d share in case anyone here also has that problem:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1248679346/
Nice. Looks like the speaker could slide out with the tray in place. Looks like the Etsy guy used flex TPU, hadn't considered TPU for inside a hot car. I assume a harder version, probably ok. I've used TPU for phone cases, lids for cat food, soda cans, bumper on a toaster oven handle that bangs on the counter, etc.. Interesting find.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Can you post your Sketchup source files as well (and license them appropriately for remixing)? There are a couple of small tweaks I'd like to make.

edit: didn't notice your CC license on them at first.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
BTW - I just posted an early version of my sliding center console tray here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/center-console-tray.5696/#post-177080

Edit:

Part of the reason I've taken so long to contribute on this thread is that I've waffled a lot about what to do here. My biggest point is that the center console is kind of absurdly deep. How does one make the best use of that space?

I was deep into a different design when I talked to my wife. She has a Pilot that has a minivan sized center console, and it's loaded with inane crap. She made the off-hand comment that 90% of what she gets from the console is tissues.

So I thought, why don't I just put together a provision for a tissue box? The center console would basically be:

Code:
|           |
| Lid Wings |
|___________|
|
| Hanging Organizer (small item storage)
|
|___________
|
| Open Space (medium item storage)
|
|
|___IIIII___
|           |
|Tissue Box |
|           |
|___________|
Here is what the design looks like:

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files Screenshot 2022-07-17 212613

You attach it to the top of your 5" tissue box. Pull the tissue through the top and then pop the who thing at the bottom of the center console.

This is very much a work in progress right now. It's on the printer and will be done tomorrow AM. I have no idea what it's going to look like / measure out to be at this point so I'm not posting it to thingiverse yet.

Last edited:

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Pictures:

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0568.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0569.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0570.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0571.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0572.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0573 (2).JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0574 (1).JPG

Impressions are pretty positive overall. The depth of the console after installing the tissue box and shelf is significantly more useable - no more black hole. Additionally, the top of the tissue box seems to be exactly where I would want the shelf to be.

There are a few things that I really need to tidy up:
  • The measurements of the shelf aren't quite right. The console seems narrow the further you get into it. The next revision of the shelf will have this corrected for.
  • The shelf at 1.5MM is too thin. I knew this going into it, but I'll need to strengthen it a bit more than I expected needing to. No biggie.
  • The box attachment mechanism need a bit of help especially considering the two mounts I have a too wide. Again, no biggie.
There are a few changes that I may make, and I'm looking for feedback on:
  • I'm thinking I want to move the box to the front, toward the USB ports. This will make the tissues easier and allow for storage of a few bits underneath the shelf, along with the box, but might make it a little unstable. This is TBD.
  • I might print the next box in white to make items easier to find instead of the deep dark black that I've been using. Again, TBD.

My biggest question is I'm the only one who wants this. Would you want this shelf? Would it be worthwhile with the hanging tray I've also posted? I feel like I may need a sanity check here...

Sponsored

OP
OP

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Can you post your Sketchup source files as well (and license them appropriately for remixing)? There are a couple of small tweaks I'd like to make.

edit: didn't notice your CC license on them at first.
No problem. I added them to Printables.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Unless the OP objects, I may modify his top tray with the coin dish to fit on my bottom tray, leaving a corner cut out to allow an umbrella to fit (longer than the height of my bottom tray).
I think I'm going to end up with something like this, I left part of the console open top to bottom to accomodate my umbrella. The trays don't block the usb ports. I have a 4 section divider in the bottom, then two removable trays that sit on top of it. (My color selection is mostly a function of PETG on hand, sorry for the John Deere look...). I do think the light colors make it easier to find stuff. The left inside wall of my console area doesn't seem to be perfectly straight, added a ~ 1-2 mm offset on that side to match it better.

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files 1658290222271
Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files 1658290910522

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files 1658291171660

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
@nc10 - Checking on how you're progressing. I've been putting together something similar as well:

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files Screenshot 2022-07-26 015815

Two simple interlocking panels that basically divide the bottom of the center console black hole into 4 bits. It should be a straight-forward print.

I'd like for someone to confirm measurements for me as I'm waiting on my truck to come back from service. Specifically, I'm looking for:
  • Dimensions from inside of the rubber mat at the bottom of the center console. There is a little lip on the outside of it - I'm looking for inside of that lip, both front to back and side to side.
  • Bottom of the center console to where the front most wall slants more severely toward the front of the vehicle. I believe the USB-C port are on the wall. Ideally, I want the tops of these to stop where that slant begins.
If someone can help with those two measurements, I'll tweak the 3D print and post the STL.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
@nc10 - Checking on how you're progressing. I've been putting together something similar as well:

I'd like for someone to confirm measurements for me as I'm waiting on my truck to come back from service. Specifically, I'm looking for:
  • Dimensions from inside of the rubber mat at the bottom of the center console. There is a little lip on the outside of it - I'm looking for inside of that lip, both front to back and side to side.

• Bottom of the center console to where the front most wall slants more severely toward the front of the vehicle. I believe the USB-C port are on the wall. Ideally, I want the tops of these to stop where that slant begins.
If someone can help with those two measurements, I'll tweak the 3D print and post the STL.
I get 138 mm from the mat to where this slant starts. The usb ports are on the slant.
Note that this front wall of the console slants forward a little. Double checking the dimension. The distance between the side walls is also a couple mm wider where the slant starts, compared to the bottom. Also be aware of the strap on the back wall which we are blocking with these dividers. Wasn't 100% sure what you wanted took a few screen shots. I need to get a bigger micrometer......

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files Console pad front to back outside dimension

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files Console pad L_R width

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files console pad edge width

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files Console pad Front to back Inside dimension

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files Console pad Left to right inside dimension

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files console pad edge height

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I get 138 mm from the mat to where this slant starts. The usb ports are on the slant.
Note that this front wall of the console slants forward a little. Double checking the dimension. The distance between the side walls is also a couple mm wider where the slant starts, compared to the bottom. Also be aware of the strap on the back wall which we are blocking with these dividers. Wasn't 100% sure what you wanted took a few screen shots. I need to get a bigger micrometer......
Thanks so much for this. I think I might have everything accounted for. The Compass Yellow one goes side to side. The Forrest Green one goes front to back. The more severely curved end of the green one (pictured on the left) is at the front.

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files Screenshot 2022-07-26 222054

I strongly suggest that whomever wants to print this validate the dimensions beforehand. I'm happy to correct them. Once we know this works well, I may be willing to produce a small batch.

Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5442587
Sponsored