Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

I've 3D printed this and I can confirm it's really, really close. The angle on the front is almost an exact match. The widths and depths are great. The height feels good. Here is what it looks like:

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0651.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0652.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0653.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0654.JPG

On my to-do list before I consider this project done:
  • I'm going to notch the bit of the divider that is next to the document holder. (rear most in the console) I can put the Rivian book in there but it's too tight for my liking. I'm thinking 3-4 MM or so -- no biggie.
  • I also need to tighen up the widths of the slots between the two bits as there is a tiny bit too much slop when it's assembled. 0.25MM should do it.
  • I alo think I may create a lid for whole deal. A third panel with slotting on the bottom so it can basically camp out right on top, likely with two finger holes so it can be easily remove.
Once that is done, I think I might run a small batch. :)
Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Updated notch of the divider that is next to the document holder. (rear most in the console) Printing it now, if it works, I'll update the STL on Thingiverse.

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files Screenshot 2022-07-28 232038

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

I've printed what I believe the final design for this is going to be. Here is what it looks like:

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0710.JPG

It comes in two bits that slide together. This will ensure that it's easily shipable and installable. As always on prototype pictures, please ignore the finish.

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0711.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0715.JPG

One panel is angled at the front and had a notch at the rear for items in the bungee cord such as documents and the manual.

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0713.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0712.JPG

The other panel is designed to perfectly fit left to right and has a pronounced grove to keep everything stable.

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0714.JPG

Thats it! I'm likely going to do a small batch of these in the next order, due in late August / early September. Pricing will be in the mid $20 area, mainly due to low volume and long print times. I may design and build a cap for these in the future too.

Feedback is very welcome!

Reactions: pdq

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hi Everyone -

Just a quick heads up that the Center Console Organizers (as show above) have come in and will finally be available starting Tuesday, August 23rd at 1:00 PM Eastern. They will remain available until the order is sold through. Quantities are limited.

Pricing will be $24. All units are black and are produced in better quality than the units shown above.

Pictures (they look AMAZING!) and a link will be posted shortly.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Additional Photos of it installed, per requested. Each section is roughly large enough to put a 12oz can in.

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0660.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Print Center Console Organizer - installed photos & design files IMG_0661.JPG

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Quick update - I've created an overview video of the two center console organization items that I've made:

I also noticed folks were were buying the divider with the hanging, sliding organizer often, so I've activated an automatic discount of $5 when buying both.

There are a decent amount of the dividers in stock, but exactly 2 of the hanging, sliding organizers as of this post. A small restock is on the way for early October. I will be allowing backorders on it if needed.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

Hilbe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS P100D, Tesla MX 90D Unicorn, Rivian R1S
Seeing the fine work that @RWerksman has been doing, I was inspired to create a center console organizer. It's a series of three trays with the top two designed to be removable. The center console has a slight "v" shape which allows the top tray to be about 20mm longer while still leaving room for me to remove it by grabbing the front.

I'm not 100% satisfied (is any maker ever?), but I'll live with it for a while and see how it goes. I may add more organization in the top two trays in V2.

A couple of specifics
  • Printed in PETG, using most of a new spool to print three trays
  • Tray heights
    • Bottom - 134mm (to end up right below the USB C ports)
    • Middle - 80mm
    • Top - 70mm
    • This leaves about 6mm of space between the top tray and the lid
  • Tray L x W
    • Bottom and middle - 154mm x 164mm
    • Top - 175mm x 164mm
  • The top and middle trays have a 2mm thick inset extension to help with stacking (see picture below)
  • The top tray has a change holder and a place to store cards
  • There is room for the USB C cables
  • I need to find something to put on the bottom of each tray to keep stuff from sliding around
  • PETG is a PITA, though I'm new to 3D printing within the last 3 months
  • Printing time for me (i3 Mega S) was around 24-30 hours per tray
All designed in Sketchup Make 2017. Printables link to STL files

IMG_4633.jpeg

1st tray removed and 2nd tray visible
IMG_4634.jpeg

2nd tray removed and 3rd tray visible
IMG_4635.jpeg

Here is all three removed from the center console. The bottom tray would normally never come out. I tried printing legs with a border on top to receive the middle tray instead of a complete bottom tray but it was not sturdy enough.
IMG_4636.jpeg

I did not remove the flexible insert at the bottom. There is plenty of room for the USB C cables to plug in and feed through the cable passageways
IMG_4637.jpeg

Closeup of how the top two trays stack on top of the one below
IMG_4638.jpeg

Prototypes and testing!
IMG_4639.jpeg

Sketchup.jpeg

Edited to switch link from Thingiverse to Printables. I cannot get Thingiverse to show my models when searching or in my profile.
Something is wrong with your sketchup STL export. I can't get it to load right in any slicer and others can't as well (check Printables comments). Can you export an OBJ or something else?

OP
OP

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Something is wrong with your sketchup STL export. I can't get it to load right in any slicer and others can't as well (check Printables comments). Can you export an OBJ or something else?
Yeah, it’s super annoying. Sketchup sucks with complex models and exporting STLs. I would have started the design in another program had I known.

The Sketchup files are loaded out there to download. I only have the free version of Sketchup which doesn’t allow export into other formats. Good luck. FWIW, I used a really old version of Cura to slice, something that runs on a 2012 air-gapped iMac.
Sponsored