Sponsored

350KW EVGO charger maxed at 70KW and is my only option, any idea why? Rivian no help.

Legi0n

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Blue
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Thanks for the replies. I live a ways out from the city and I'm still deciding if I can deal with all electric and if I should keep the rivian. I have the home charger but decided to wait on install until I decide to keep the rivian and I have other cars to drive so letting it charge on 110 for a couple days is not an issue. My main car is in the shop so for the first time I had to rely on the rivian. I left the house in the morning with 85% and by the time I got home that night I was at 0%. Actually got to 0% about a mile from home but still made it. That leads me to believe I need to have a way to charge up in town so I found the fastest rated charger and tried it out the next day but it was very disruptive to my day as I expected at 200kw I could get a decent charge in 30 minutes and be on my way. I ended up having to stay there for 90 minutes. Unless I can find a way to reliably charge in town at around 120-150kw then this probably is not a good fit for me.
Wow! I would expect you to get to 80% in that amount of time. I just got back today from a trip from WA to OR. A week ago I used the RAN to drive to northern CA and I never spent more than 20 minutes at a charging station. Having said that you have to pay attention, in the RAN I have seen 18 minutes to full charge and six minutes later it says 15 minutes to full charge. Other than RAN, I've used mostly EA and EVCS. For a fast charger I normally see back up to 80% in 20-30 minutes. Maybe you plugged into a faulty charger?
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Here's how they are recovering their costs:

I live in South Texas. My electricity provider is a co-op that charges me 9.44 cents/kWh for electricity that I buy at home.

In your example, you paid $7.66/72.688kWh= $.10538 per kWh
That represents an 11% markup over the RETAIL residential rate that I pay for electricity (including tax)

If you consider that a commercial user of electricity may well be paying 50% (or less) per kWh than I am, there's a substantial gross margin built in there.

The average commercial rate in Texas is 9.89 cents/kWh versus an average residential rate of 13.53 cents/kwh.

Averages are just that...averages.

For a commercial user like a charging network, the provider can consider that the use is "interruptible" (unlike...say...a hospital) and the rate will likely reflect that.

Guess what's going to be the first thing interrupted in a rolling blackout?
Chargepoint operators generally don't pay those low rates due to demand fees.

My guess with EVGOs time rate costs is they relied a lot on slow charging vehicles to subsidize costs of vehicles like a rivian.

OP
OP

2022R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1s
Boy this sounds like my experience with the giant POS EVGo stations at Oak Park Mall in Overland Park KS just last weekend when I was down there.

Betting it was, I see you are from KC.

It’s just these chargers at this location. I attempted to call their Support to let them know they suck but the second they answered and I started explaining the situation, the phone just kind of went dead. I gave up and didn’t call them back.
Yes I have learned a lot since I posted this. Those chargers at the mall are the best I can find nearby but leave a lot to be desired. They must be throttling them because I get right around 70Kw on the 350KW chargers and right around 85Kw on the 150Kw chargers max and everyone I have talked to there is reporting the same. Apparently the only fast charger is 40 miles from me in independence MO.

R1T311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Camaro SS, 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Clubs

Yes I have learned a lot since I posted this. Those chargers at the mall are the best I can find nearby but leave a lot to be desired. They must be throttling them because I get right around 70Kw on the 350KW chargers and right around 85Kw on the 150Kw chargers max and everyone I have talked to there is reporting the same. Apparently the only fast charger is 40 miles from me in independence MO.
I was very surprised at the few options down in that area. I am from Des Moines area and was struggling to find any good chargers myself, made for a frustrating night with friends as my first real trip with the truck.

SonomaDriver

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This may be a local grid issue. There are lots of places in the country where the grid is not exactly awesome. There might be someone at the local utility who could shed some light on it.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Chargepoint operators generally don't pay those low rates due to demand fees.

My guess with EVGOs time rate costs is they relied a lot on slow charging vehicles to subsidize costs of vehicles like a rivian.
Some states or localities forbid reselling KW as essentially a utility. The way around it is not to charge by the KW and instead charge by time.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Some states or localities forbid reselling KW as essentially a utility. The way around it is not to charge by the KW and instead charge by time.
I know. They still have to figure out how to make a profit in those States though.

plasmdude

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Need to keep in mind the Rivian is a 400V vehicle. It need lots of amps to reach the ~215kw that it maxes out at, about 500amps! Many chargers are 800V but current limited to 125amps. These units you will see the charge rate slowly ramp up over the course of the session as the voltage raises.

You can look around the dispenser / pedestal for a faceplate that displays the max DC amps.

I really wish the marketing of chargers was showing distinction clearly for the vehicle battery architecture. 350kw @ 800v vs 125kw@ 400v.
Sponsored