Sponsored

350KW Charging that has Worked Everytime vs. Shell Recharge 50kw (60% success rate with Shell)

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So for me I'm just looking for the best estimate of time required to cover a distance in miles..
The point being made is that miles/time depends on many factors. Tires, weather, driving style etc.

Story short:

If you drive less than 200 miles/day a 11.5kW charger should be more than adequate. If you need to drive 400 miles/day that will be a challenge without a DC fast charger.

11.5 kW charger will charge your R1T in ~10 hours
50 kW charger will charge your R1T in ~2.5 hours
350kW charger and the R1Ts current charging curve you can get about 60% (10-70%) of the battery in 30-40min based on my typical results at EA chargers over the last week.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
The point being made is that miles/time depends on many factors. Tires, weather, driving style etc.
Thanks, Basically I believe the truck is using my historical average by mode to convert to MPH. So it is factoring In those variables for the most part. Unless of course the weather drops 30-40 degrees, which does happen in MN.

For me it’s just a distance thing. Some days are 20 mile days some are 200+. With the shortage of DCFC’ers here I can get caught short depending on what charge level I leave with in the morning. But with a 11.5 kw home charger my daily starting charge level should always be enough to get through the day. Plus the home charging is just $0.065 per kwh

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
In my experience, who am I kidding I have no experience, I dont think many locals/providers will be servicing a house with 250V. Your more likely to 240 or less than 250v. And so, plan accordingly. If 48A gets 22 (rounded) mph of charge in the wild, that's really horrible and I''m hoping Rivian can do some software voodoo to improve efficiency.
Dirty_B
Rivian cant change physics. 48A@240V is 11,520W…. That’s the limit.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
The pack really isn't big enough to do 200+ miles most days. The pack would wear out long before the vehicle. The solution is either a larger pack or cell chemistry that has a much higher cycle life (LFP).

The typical good longevity seen in EV battery packs is based on the equivalent of one or two cycles per week.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Yesterday my utility supplied at an average of 250.1 V. A charger set to limit at 48A draw would have delivered, on average 48*250.1 = 12,004.8 W. Thus 11.52 kW is the nominal max. What is actually drawn will vary with line voltage.

Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I think Dirty_B is agreeing with you. If you only get 11.5kwh in one hour and 11.5kwh will get you 22 miles in real life (24 miles epa), he is suggesting that Rivian find ways to make the vehicle more efficient in order to get or exceed the current epa rating, not improve the charging kw.

That said, I would be happy with 11.5kw home charging (or about 20-25 mph). It is rare that I would come home empty and need to charge 300 miles the same day.

I also feel there is probably not a lot of room for improving efficiency. If I had a wish it would be larger battery/range and more charging options (i.e. using Tesla superchargers)

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

This thread is great for pointing out all the people that couldn't do the word problems in math class lol.

Basically I believe the truck is using my historical average by mode to convert to MPH. So it is factoring In those variables for the most part. Unless of course the weather drops 30-40 degrees, which does happen in MN.
So as you admit, the only person that can give you an accurate charge time in miles per hour is yourself. And that value only applies to your vehicle at this particular point in time.

And that is why it is bad to use that value.

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
This thread is great for pointing out all the people that couldn't do the word problems in math class lol.

So as you admit, the only person that can give you an accurate charge time in miles per hour is yourself. And that value only applies to your vehicle at this particular point in time.

And that is why it is bad to use that value.
Not sure why you think it’s “bad” perhaps you enjoy being a bit ridiculous
Sponsored