Sponsored

$3500 for Black Rims on Launch Edition is too much - after market options?

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
What?! $3500 to change wheel paint colors from silver to black?? Please, let's hope Rivian made an honest mistake. I configured my Launch Edition weeks ago and received an email from Rivian yesterday solely about "black wheels". Maybe Rivian made a mistake, because this looks like a gouge in the back, and extraordinarily disappointing from a company that from day #1 has espoused a culture of "under-promise and over-deliver". Rivian has worked hard to develop this culture, so why risk it over this? Black spray paint costs about five bucks.
It's not paint -- it's a different material. If you just want them painted black, it would be way cheaper to do it yourself.
Sponsored

NoICE

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, formerly Tesla 3, Tacoma Off-Road
Clubs

It's not paint -- it's a different material. If you just want them painted black, it would be way cheaper to do it yourself.
For $3500, I would hope they are carbon fiber. Either way, I'm not interested, just disappointed.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
For $3500, I would hope they are carbon fiber.
I know you're just venting here but $3500 might get you one carbon fiber wheel.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I agree with you!

I was thinking of ordering a Rivian set of off road 20” and getting the LE with the 22” as I would probably be using it more on-road with some lite off-roading until I get to know more people that know the good places to explore in NorCal. I have always wanted to do more off road activities and the Rivian gives me the on-road and off-road performance in one vehicle.

So I am interested on what the forum recommends for 20” rims to use.
The 22" sound like soft tires to me. Extra traction comes from softer rubber. Probably ideal for grip on tight turns and in accelerating without burnout on the street but wears down much faster. That's not a quality thing. It's just the nature of the tire. Off-road is even more friction so more wear and tear, I would imagine. 20s are probably a better choice if they don't completely destroy range, I think it's ideal to start with those and either move to road wheels or pick up aftermarket tires that are better on-road as aftermarket options show up.

Sponsored

NoICE

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, formerly Tesla 3, Tacoma Off-Road
Clubs

Electuck is right. I'm venting over an extra $3500 for alloy wheels that are black instead of silver.......for a truck. Value = Quality / Cost. I just don't see much value in this offer. At least we have a choice.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Electuck is right. I'm venting over an extra $3500 for alloy wheels that are black instead of silver.......for a truck. Value = Quality / Cost. I just don't see much value in this offer. At least we have a choice.
It's their first launch. Offering upgrades and downgrades that scale in relative cost to Rivian's may be more complicated and difficult to manage than it sounds. They already had to limit their starting range options to just one for the first 6 months. I do wish LE could get discounted for the 21s because range, and probably not going to go nuts on off-roading right away, but I will eventually so I'm getting the less ideal wheel first. It helps that it's a lot cooler-looking.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
A different material? They are all aluminum, its just that the silver r1t 20's are definitely forged aluminum, and the r1s 20's are also likely forged. They just decided to offer the r1s 20's in black as well, both on the r1s and r1t. I prefer the style of the silver r1t 20's anyways, but I'm definitely going to be checking with wheel fitment companies to see about fitting an 18 or 19 for extra tire sidewall. I realize the brakes are large, but it remains to be seen how much space is in there to fit a smaller wheel around them.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Might consider doing just the opposite.... order your LE with the 20" (Forged) all-terrain setup for most included "bang for your buck." Then keep eye out for variety of aftermarket 22" wheels & tire combos this Rivian forum will inevitably cover.

Say that based on reading elsewhere that only the 20" wheels are stated to be "Forged" type
thank you! Definitely will consider that...are you say the cost of the forged rims are more expensive than the 22” when you say you get the most bang for your buck? I am a novice in off-road activities, so thanks in advance for the advice.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
The 22" sound like soft tires to me. Extra traction comes from softer rubber. Probably ideal for grip on tight turns and in accelerating without burnout on the street but wears down much faster. That's not a quality thing. It's just the nature of the tire. Off-road is even more friction so more wear and tear, I would imagine. 20s are probably a better choice if they don't completely destroy range, I think it's ideal to start with those and either move to road wheels or pick up aftermarket tires that are better on-road as aftermarket options show up.
Thank you for this feedback too!

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Thanks lonestar and pherdnut, I think I will take your recommendations!

I wonder what the cost of the 22”s are from Rivian as a second set. Now I am searching for 22” alternatives. ?

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Definitely will consider that...are you say the cost of the forged rims are more expensive than the 22” when you say you get the most bang for your buck? I am a novice in off-road activities, so thanks in advance for the advice.
Never know Rivian's wholesale cost (or any OEM) for wheels since sales volume is so influential. The Rivian configurator charges the same $1,800 for selection of 20" or 22" (non-dark versions) wheels. So the dollar savings is nil. However, if true that only the 20" wheels are forged then that is a real value in terms of lighter weight and greater durability. Forged wheels are typically more expensive.

Likewise, all-terrain tires are typically more expensive than all-season rubber. Not sure about it here since the tire brand/model is undisclosed (or at least I don't know it). The 22's may come with "performance" tires which can also be more expensive.

OP
OP

szimmer624

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee Summit - Hemi, Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
Occupation
Self-Employed
Never know Rivian's wholesale cost (or any OEM) for wheels since sales volume is so influential. The Rivian configurator charges the same $1,800 for selection of 20" or 22" (non-dark versions) wheels. So the dollar savings is nil. However, if true that only the 20" wheels are forged then that is a real value in terms of lighter weight and greater durability. Forged wheels are typically more expensive.

Likewise, all-terrain tires are typically more expensive than all-season rubber. Not sure about it here since the tire brand/model is undisclosed (or at least I don't know it). The 22's may come with "performance" tires which can also be more expensive.
They’re special Pirelli tires, formulated in partnership w Rivian, blah blah.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I just came across an article that smaller wheels provide better efficiencies.
People are focused way too much on only the wheel size.
In Rivians case, the efficiency of the wheel/tire combos they are offering will be (from most efficient to least):
21s
22s
20s

The 20s will be the least efficient, even thought they are on the smallest wheel size. A number of factors come into play, but likely primarily because the overall diameter will be larger, with lots of heavy rubber near the circumference.
Sponsored