Sponsored

34" inch AT tires on 20s rubbing in Conserve mode

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Seems like lowest+soft should not even be an option if it allows rubbing like this.
Absolutely... How could a manufacturer let a vehicle with OEM parts and options go into essentially a "self distruct mode"?

If you have the AT tires, this should never happen IMO.

Sorry to hear about this.

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

Absolutely... How could a manufacturer let a vehicle with OEM parts and options go into essentially a "self distruct mode"?

If you have the AT tires, this should never happen IMO.

Sorry to hear about this.
It's also very possible that the alignment is also off a bit with regards to the front camber settings. If it doesn't have enough negative camber at the lowest setting, then I could see how that would allow some rubbing like this. It could honestly still be "within spec" but even half a degree off to allow lowest+soft setting to rub. There have been a number of responses to other threads in here regarding alignments being bad off the delivery truck.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Have you given Rivian this feedback? I suspect motherhood would like to know that for QA purposes.

Edit: the mothership. Not motherhood. I swear autocorrect has gotten dumber over the last 15 years.
They don’t care, The service manager told me “we did our best”
I said well either it’s fixed or it’s not
what does doing your best have to do with it?
don’t do YOUR best, do MY best.

My windows barely work and the glass is loose in the back windows. I was told that’s all normal
except my rear windows are almost unusable, so how is that normal.
I expected some issues with the launch edition but so far all my problems are poor manufacturing and quality control. Seems like they just wanted to get the trucks out and fix em later
a very Tesla attitude and what I understood is the opposite of the Rivian brand.

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Question about the ride heights. Does the R1T and I'm assuming R1S change ride heights automatically depending on the speed? For example my 1500 RAM LImited has Air suspension.
1. Entry height for the old folks
2. Aero Mode, where at 65mph the truck lowers automatically for better efficiency
3. Normal, below 65Mph and around town it changes automatically to this height
4. Off Road 1, allows be to drive in this mode under 45mph, otherwise changes to Normal
5. Off Road 2, allows me to drive in this mode under 15mph, otherwise changes to OR1 and then Normal

Hate to have to manually change every time like DannyC says and forget to change it back every time.

with Air suspension maxed out steering is squirrely hence forcing the height change at certain speed.

Sponsored

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Someone listens to Carolla. :)

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Question about the ride heights. Does the R1T and I'm assuming R1S change ride heights automatically depending on the speed? For example my 1500 RAM LImited has Air suspension.
2. Aero Mode, where at 65mph the truck lowers automatically for better efficiency
4. Off Road 1, allows be to drive in this mode under 45mph, otherwise changes to Normal
5. Off Road 2, allows me to drive in this mode under 15mph, otherwise changes to OR1 and then Normal

Hate to have to manually change every time like DannyC says and forget to change it back every time.

with Air suspension maxed out steering is squirrely hence forcing the height change at certain speed.
Yes in certain drive modes the suspension will lower to improve efficiency. For example I know that All Purpose will go from standard to low at higher speed and also in Conserve it will go from standard/low to lowest at highway speed. You can override it and it will stay higher for the drive.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

It does adjust automatically, but it is not as simple as a set speed = a specific ride height. There also is no easy entry mode at the moment. And yes, for now, if you want to manually override the automatic ride height, you need to do that every time you 'start' the vehicle or change drive modes.

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Yes in certain drive modes the suspension will lower to improve efficiency. For example I know that All Purpose will go from standard to low at higher speed and also in Conserve it will go from standard/low to lowest at highway speed. You can override it and it will stay higher for the drive.
Well that's a bummer, so if you are at high way speeds the only way to go to the lower ride height is manually fiddling with the screen and change to the desired mode etc..? So hitting the highway, fiddle with the screen and change modes, then get off the highway as I arrived at my destination or even to a gas station and need to fiddle again with the ride height, as we saw in the thread, this is easily forgotten and then you have rubbing tires etc..

I have 35's on my ram with just a leveling kit and in aero mode around town I would rub big time but I would have to manually select that as it is speed based. So when I pull off to grab food or something and need to make right angle turns or in a parking lot I'm not destroying everything with being so low.

With Rivian I have to remember to change this all of the time sounds like.

Man I am addicted to Rivian, I am on here for way too many hours of my day, and I understand they are ahead and want to be a outdoor technology vehicle or whatever you want to call it, but don't be blind stupid and stubborn to what has been accomplished by all other manufacturers who have been doing this for 50 years etc.. Learn from them and improve, that doesn't mean ignore and try to reinvent the wheel and fall short :0( it is sad

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Well that's a bummer, so if you are at high way speeds the only way to go to the lower ride height is manually fiddling with the screen and change to the desired mode etc..? So hitting the highway, fiddle with the screen and change modes, then get off the highway as I arrived at my destination or even to a gas station and need to fiddle again with the ride height, as we saw in the thread, this is easily forgotten and then you have rubbing tires etc..
You only have to do this if you don't want it to automatically adjust the height. Default is automatic ride height adjustments at speed.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

For what it’s worth I don’t think the OPs rubbing tires are the norm, I have 1500 miles on my ride and have spent time in lowest and haven’t seen any wear like that on the tires.

Yes I hope at some point we get a software update that allows us to turn off ‘lowering for improved efficiency’ or something along those lines.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar

My windows barely work and the glass is loose in the back windows. I was told that’s all normal
except my rear windows are almost unusable, so how is that normal.
I expected some issues with the launch edition but so far all my problems are poor manufacturing and quality control. Seems like they just wanted to get the trucks out and fix em later
a very Tesla attitude and what I understood is the opposite of the Rivian brand.
Wow... Seriously? Not good.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Wow... Seriously? Not good.
yeah they want to compare the truck to other ones on the lot...not to specs. So if they only have experience with other wonky trucks they are benchmarking you against the wrong thing. Tesla nonsense

Mcdoo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo, expedition
Occupation
Engineer
For what it’s worth I don’t think the OPs rubbing tires are the norm, I have 1500 miles on my ride and have spent time in lowest and haven’t seen any wear like that on the tires.

Yes I hope at some point we get a software update that allows us to turn off ‘lowering for improved efficiency’ or something along those lines.
Also, FWIW, I was talking with Service Tech and he mentioned that many early Rivian employees that have had trucks for awhile and been driving daily in just conserve mode found that the front tires showed wear. So it might be a combo, but sounds like front wheel drive for daily driving will also cause some tire wear.
Sponsored