First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Just finished a 1,179 mile trip from San Diego to Sacramento and lots of stop in between.

So after having the truck for a few days I noticed that there was a lot of wear on the outside of my driver side tires. I have the AT tires that are 34 inches on the 20 inch wheels. When the truck is lowered all the way they the tread is not even visible on the tops of the tires as they are pushed up into the wheel wells so much.

While on my trip in conserve mode, the truck defaults to the lowest suspension settings and honestly I don't like it as it rides rough. I did not always to remember to put it back to standard height and on a few bumps/dips on the freeway I can hear the tires hitting the wheel wells. Pretty hard too!

I did let both my Rivian guide and a service tech know about the issue. The outside of my tires are so damaged that I am going to request to have them replaced.
Rivian R1T R1S 34" inch AT tires on 20s rubbing in Conserve mode 1649998977385
Sponsored

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Good news is that 2022.11.2 brings 'low' to Conserve mode.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Just finished a 1,179 mile trip from San Diego to Sacramento and lots of stop in between.

So after having the truck for a few days I noticed that there was a lot of wear on the outside of my driver side tires. I have the AT tires that are 34 inches on the 20 inch wheels. When the truck is lowered all the way they the tread is not even visible on the tops of the tires as they are pushed up into the wheel wells so much.

While on my trip in conserve mode, the truck defaults to the lowest suspension settings and honestly I don't like it as it rides rough. I did not always to remember to put it back to standard height and on a few bumps/dips on the freeway I can hear the tires hitting the wheel wells. Pretty hard too!

I did let both my Rivian guide and a
1649998977385.png
service tech know about the issue. The outside of my tires are so damaged that I am going to request to have them replaced.
Latest OTA update allows conserve mode in low height setting, should improve ride quality

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

yikes

Sponsored

OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I ran that update and the way the service tech explained it to me is that it keeps it from going up and down in stop and go traffic, still allows it to go into low mode. Apparently there is a button to adjust this but I did not see it. Will look tomorrow.

I have a mobile tech coming to my house on Monday for an alignment issue. Interestingly the truck phoned home with "telemetry" data that I was having an alignment issue around the same time I called in the complaint.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Good news is that 2022.11.2 brings 'low' to Conserve mode.
Still have to remember to adjust it back every time you stop. Big fan but doesn’t solve OPs issue.

Bummer about the tires, sounds like some adjustment is needed, your suspension sitting too low??

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
I ran that update and the way the service tech explained it to me is that it keeps it from going up and down in stop and go traffic, still allows it to go into low mode. Apparently there is a button to adjust this but I did not see it. Will look tomorrow.

I have a mobile tech coming to my house on Monday for an alignment issue. Interestingly the truck phoned home with "telemetry" data that I was having an alignment issue around the same time I called in the complaint.
Wow sorry to hear about this. Let us know if they replace your tires for you.

I’ve found the auto adjustments on height to be useless and the truck never stops going up and down on side streets. You can override the auto adjust but you have to do it every time you drive and only after you are rolling and the auto adjust kicks in. The new software adds the Low option in conserve mode but you still have to manually select time you drive and can only select it once the auto adjust kicks in.

Curious how would a mobile tech do an alignment? You need a Hunter alignment lift, and a heavy duty one at that used for 3/4 ton trucks. I would clarify with them. Likewise I would be curious to know what telemetry they are using to determine a bad alignment. Genuinely curious if they can measure resistance at the motors or something.

My truck had laughable alignment on delivery. I’ve sent it back twice now because their techs have no clue how to set up the alignment.

Make sure you get the before and after printout from them and make them dial-in the alignment…not just get it in the minimum acceptable range.

Keep us posted on your experience

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Wow sorry to hear about this. Let us know if they replace your tires for you.

I’ve found the auto adjustments on height to be useless and the truck never stops going up and down on side streets. You can override the auto adjust but you have to do it every time you drive and only after you are rolling and the auto adjust kicks in. The new software adds the Low option in conserve mode but you still have to manually select time you drive and can only select it once the auto adjust kicks in.

Curious how would a mobile tech do an alignment? You need a Hunter alignment lift, and a heavy duty one at that used for 3/4 ton trucks. I would clarify with them. Likewise I would be curious to know what telemetry they are using to determine a bad alignment. Genuinely curious if they can measure resistance at the motors or something.

My truck had laughable alignment on delivery. I’ve sent it back twice now because their techs have no clue how to set up the alignment.

Make sure you get the before and after printout from them and make them dial-in the alignment…not just get it in the minimum acceptable range.

Keep us posted on your experience
What symptoms did you have for the 2 mis-alignments, this might help others notice / correct problems quickly.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
What symptoms did you have for the 2 mis-alignments, this might help others notice / correct problems quickly.
I am an auto enthusiast and my butt detected the rear toe was off 5 minutes after driving off the lot. The car was crab walking On the freeway, laughably bad. I took it back to the deliver/service center. Took them 2 hrs to align it and they handed me the alignment sheet showing The fixed the toe bit left the caster and camber way out on one of the wheels. The kid tried to tell me how the guy who trained him said camber and caster don’t matter…except it will wear the tire faster and the caster was opposite on the front wheels. So it took twice as much effort to turn left vs right.

I sent the truck back for a list of other body fit problems and a second attempt at the alignment. They adjusted the caster and messed up the toe again. They also scratched my fender and broke a bunch of clips on the frunk trim. I ended up taking the truck to my shop (I race Porsches). We had the car aligned in about 30 min. We also fixed the door that was not aligned right.

So far initial quality and service are a “D” in my book.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I am an auto enthusiast and my butt detected the rear toe was off 5 minutes after driving off the lot. The car was crab walking On the freeway, laughably bad. I took it back to the deliver/service center. Took them 2 hrs to align it and they handed me the alignment sheet showing The fixed the toe bit left the caster and camber way out on one of the wheels. The kid tried to tell me how the guy who trained him said camber and caster don’t matter…except it will wear the tire faster and the caster was opposite on the front wheels. So it took twice as much effort to turn left vs right.

I sent the truck back for a list of other body fit problems and a second attempt at the alignment. They adjusted the caster and messed up the toe again. They also scratched my fender and broke a bunch of clips on the frunk trim. I ended up taking the truck to my shop (I race Porsches). We had the car aligned in about 30 min. We also fixed the door that was not aligned right.

So far initial quality and service are a “D” in my book.
Have you given Rivian this feedback? I suspect motherhood would like to know that for QA purposes.

Edit: the mothership. Not motherhood. I swear autocorrect has gotten dumber over the last 15 years.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Not motherhood. I swear autocorrect has gotten dumber over the last 15 years
It really has. What’s up with that ?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'll bet a beer you've got Ride in Soft. You MUST have it in Stiff if you're going into Lowest setting. I've previously posted pics of the wheel well rub spot from Lowest/Soft.
Sponsored