Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

@Pixelshot well said. And most Rivian owners will never own both vehicles so making this comparison directly is so unlikely.

The decision between the R1S and the R1T should come down to which vehicle will fit your use case, not driving dynamics. If you have a family and need the extra people space vs the extra gear space, the choice is obvious.

If you don't have a large family, then it becomes trickier because both the R1T and R1S have such great utility. If you are genuinely in a position where either the R1S and R1T would serve your needs, then potentially the driving dynamics might come into play.

When journalists and reviewers make the inevitable comparison it is because the R1T is their immediately obvious frame of reference. If you compared the R1S to a Ford Explorer, you would say that the R1S handled like a supercar, relatively speaking.

Case in point. Relative to my BMW i3s (I will argue the greatest city car ever made) the R1T drives like a marshmallow. But the comparison is meaningless because the vehicles serve completely different use cases and have no business being directly compared. The i3s is a carbon fiber bodied, suicide doored EV hot hatch with zero ability to go offroad and 5.5 inches of ground clearance and the R1T can literally drive into the ocean...
I understand where you are coming from but some of the issues raised about the driving dynamics of the S were not just a relative difference to the T but seemed in an absolute sense to not be good - bouncing, porpoising etc. I have not driven either Rivian so I am genuinely interested in how the S drives in an absolute sense and then compared to the T and competitions because you make a good point about the comparison vehicles.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
I understand where you are coming from but some of the issues raised about the driving dynamics of the S were not just a relative difference to the T but seemed in an absolute sense to not be good - bouncing, porpoising etc. I have not driven either Rivian so I am genuinely interested in how the S drives in an absolute sense and then compared to the T and competitions because you make a good point about the comparison vehicles.
I would say hold off on a final judgment until you have a chance to drive. I do love driving the R1S even if I find the T a little better to drive. And, as I said in a previous comment, the gap between them has lessened over time. Yes, there are quirky things about driving the S that I would like to see improved upon, but I could say the same about the T. And, overall it's a very good drive.

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE