22's vs. 20's - In depth discussion.

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Prius, 2022 Pacifica PHEV, 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
Curmudgeon
Wow, a lot to think about here. And I thought going with the default was the easy choice ....
Sponsored

Rivi

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S DEFENDER
I'm looking for off road tires for my custom made 22x9 ET42 rims.
Currently I have the factory off road tires on the 20" rims.

flg8r96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1s
All good information here and I'm still undecided on what I want to do for Snow/AT tires. As much as I say I'm going to crawl with the Rivian, it's probably not going to happen. Ski trips for sure though.

I currently have the stock 22" rims with Scorpions. I was going to buy new 20" rims and go with the Toyo AT3s 275/65/R20; love them from my many years owning a jeep. BUT, those suckers are pretty heavy - 54 lbs each. They are lighter than the Wildpeaks and the Grapplers but still ... 10 lbs more than the Scorpions. Nitto has a new(ish) tire out now; the Recon Grappler. Seems decent on weight (48 lbs) but the tread doesn't look great for snow. So, I called discount tire since they are an approved tire dealer for Rivian and they struggled to find a computer-approved snow/AT tire for 22" or 20" rims other than the Defender. I think the load rating was the problem. The Scorpions didn't even show up as approved. Maybe my sales person was a newbie.

So, now that it's snowing, how are people liking their aftermarket tire/rim choices? What do you have and how does it perform?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

If you want a set of 20" for AT, then go with 275/60/20 AT. The OD is the same as the 22". There are plenty of AT choices for this size. This way, you don't have to worry about the speedo being off or needing to recalibrate at Rivian SC.

Rivian R1T R1S 22's vs. 20's - In depth discussion. 1700870869073

And for tire selection
Sponsored