22's in occasional snow

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
Anyone who has them give us a winter report. I wanted the 22 Sport for appearance, street performance and range. We don't get a ton of snow in Cincinnati (and most is plowed anyways) but just curious if performance was poor enough to merit a 20' winter combo. My 2014 Grand Cherokee on 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verde was more than adequate as a comparison.
Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Youā€™ll be fine. Increase braking distance, increase hill approach speed. You should be fine.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Not tenable in my opinion. Stopping was a challengeā€¦increased following distance and very careful throttle will help but if faced with an emergency situation, youā€™ll likely not end well. Iā€™ll be looking for either 22ā€ replacement ATs or purchasing Rivianā€™s 20ā€ option.

With anticipated difficulty in getting replacement parts, I intend to keep it mainly parked when the weatherā€™s bad until I can get one of the above optionsā€¦

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
Donā€™t even think of it. When you eventually land with an accident due to this, range and appearance would be the last things on your and your passengers minds.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Pixel shot showed that hit was tenable and these are three season tires.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
The weight of the Rivians is going to make stopping and turning in snow more difficult. I think thatā€™s why some are having issues with stock tires on these vehicles when they donā€™t on others.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Pixel shot showed that hit was tenable and these are three season tires.
Pixel shot isn't paying my insurance premiums! :CWL: Man's gotta know his (and his truck's) limitations!

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone who has them give us a winter report. I wanted the 22 Sport for appearance, street performance and range. We don't get a ton of snow in Cincinnati (and most is plowed anyways) but just curious if performance was poor enough to merit a 20' winter combo. My 2014 Grand Cherokee on 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verde was more than adequate as a comparison.
We had two Volvo Recharge XC40ā€™s last winter in Columbus with the same Scorpion Zero All Season tires as the Rivian 22ā€ wheels haveā€¦..different load rating and diameter though. But we had no issues with that vehicle/tires at all. I would not take it out in heavy snow up a mountain but for southern Ohio winters, they should be absolutely fine.

I have the 22ā€ wheels on my Rivian and Iā€™m not too worried about it, but I also donā€™t drive in really bad conditions either.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If the tires are new, they are adequate, but my rears were half worn and would let the rear of the truck slide out in corners where the fresh new fronts felt okay still. I already had winter tires waiting since that was pretty much how I expected it to go. Of course we haven't had even a dusting of snow since getting them on.
Sponsored