Sponsored

22 sport wheels vs 21 road wheels-How big a difference in ride quality?

jaxrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Occupation
attorney
Looking at a R1T with 22 dark sport wheels. I am more interested in ride smoothness and quietness than I am looks. Is there a big difference in the 22 inch wheels and tires compared to 21 Road wheels and tires? thanks. Also might as well ask do they really cause 10% loss in mileage?
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Looking at a R1T with 22 dark sport wheels. I am more interested in ride smoothness and quietness than I am looks. Is there a big difference in the 22 inch wheels and tires compared to 21 Road wheels and tires? thanks. Also might as well ask do they really cause 10% loss in mileage?
The 22inch wheels in All Purpose, soft, low will feel like the 21s in Sport Soft, low. It’s a big enough difference in ride, feel, and noise that you will notice.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Smooth and quiet, 21s should be your answer.
Aeros will cause a difference, but without, I don't know the numbers to confirm 10%

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Smooth and quiet, 21s should be your answer.
Aeros will cause a difference, but without, I don't know the numbers to confirm 10%
A lot of it will depend on your driving and settings too.

On 21's I drove mostly in Sport mode. Low or Lowest. I got about 2.2-2.3mi/kWh.
On 22's I drive mostly in All Purpose mode. Low. I get about 2.3-2.4mi/kWh.

If I put the 22s into Sport mode, Low. I get about 1.9-2.1mi/kWh. However with the harsher ride, I personally can't stand to be in Sport/Lowest and can only stand being in Sport/Low for a little while.

On Off Road mode, both ride very smoothly over rough dirt/gravel terrain even on Standard height.

Last edited:

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I am trying to decide on wheels/tires for my S and am wondering how big a hit in ride quality there is going from 20 to 22 and then 21 to 22. Especially with the updated suspension settings in the recent OTA. Any feedback would be appreciated.
For reference I test drove a R2T with the AT and that rode excellently. I know the S is not quite as good. I am concerned how much further the ride deteriorates as you move away from the AT tire (even though the AT suits the look of the truck better).
Sponsored