22" Sport Bright vs Sport Dark - Crazy pricing

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Rivian charges $1700 more for Sport Dark 22" wheels over the Brights, presumably because of the extra step of spraying the Sport Bright wheels with a black-tinted coat to create the Darks. It seems to me they can save us money by simply powder coating all 22"s then machining off the face of some of them to make the Brights. This way the Darks would be cheaper, not $1700 more. Its the same fricken wheel !

Rivian R1T R1S 22" Sport Bright vs Sport Dark - Crazy pricing 1663114564134

Rivian R1T R1S 22" Sport Bright vs Sport Dark - Crazy pricing 1663115194733
Sponsored

Last edited:

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

So you want them to add an additional step of powdercoating all the wheels - which you acknowledge costs money - and then a second step of machining some of them to create the brights - but then charge us the same price as the current brights?

I'm not sure I understand this logic.

How much would it cost you to powdercoat 4 of the bright wheels? If the answer is less than $1700, I invite you to explore that option.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
I got the 22s on my LG LE. Interested to see someone do them in satin black and see if they look better than the black 22s.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Nothing looks or is as strong as a factory finish. I don't care what a detailer or powder coater is stating.

The AT brights also cost $1700 more for the dark wheels and I'm paying for it.

I can get the normal brights powder coated for $800 but it won't be the same as the factory blacks.

Sponsored

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV
Its margin...and people who chose to pay for it will. I would do the same thing as Rivian...the $3500 delta w/ the dark 20's is slightly too rich for my blood getting 22's included w/ a LE...But I come close to switching occasionally :p

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
The brights look to me like they are made by machining off after powder coating. Like it takes more steps than just leaving them black.
I suspect it is because rims always get chipped. With the brights it is hardly noticeable. The blacks will be a nightmare. So price it crazy high so only people that love that look and will keep spending the time and money to deal with chips will buy them. Otherwise Rivian looks bad for having chipped wheels.

It is also possible that the coating is several layers so that a chip just shows more black underneath and is not noticeable.

JACE

First Name
Jace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I’m powder coating my 22 brights to satin black before I take off my snow 20s. Will send pics when I get them done. I also have the White R1S. I think satin black with fully dark tinted crystalline windows will be a great look.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

So you want them to add an additional step of powdercoating all the wheels - which you acknowledge costs money - and then a second step of machining some of them to create the brights - but then charge us the same price as the current brights?

I'm not sure I understand this logic.

How much would it cost you to powdercoat 4 of the bright wheels? If the answer is less than $1700, I invite you to explore that option.
Shouldn’t be more than $250/wheel, powder coating only, no other labor.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I had my wheels powder coated for $800. That included pickup, delivery, mount and balance and was $800 out the door.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I'm assuming both of these wheels are made the exact same way. The wheels are painted black, then machined, then clear coated. The only difference is the brights are sprayed with a standard clear coat and the darks are sprayed with a dark clear coat.

The difference could be because of a higher scrap rate on the darks over the brights, lower build numbers of the darks so higher piece price for Rivian, or Rivian just charging a premium because they can.

Either way, pay the premium or get the brights and do what you want with them after the fact.

The darks are not the same as a powder coated wheel. The darks have a two tone appearance and are not straight black.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The dark wheels increased price has nothing to do with increased manufacturing cost. Just like dark gray paint is not inherently more expensive than light gray paint (LA silver).

The dark wheels just cost more because they think some people will be willing to pay more for it. It is all just a way to make increased profit from people who are willing to pay more for different.

Last edited:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

just get the brights 20/22 and powder coat them for way less. or spend almost nothing and plastidip them. way better options than paying for the darks... unless you just have money lying around i guess.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

They charge what they charge "because they can", because customers pay the price. High profit margin item for them
Sponsored