21" Wheel weight as delivered

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Has anyone, or could someone, taken a 21" wheel off their R1T to weigh it? I know the 21" factory tire weighs about 37 lbs. This will factor into my choice of alternative road tire for the 20" wheel.

We know the 20" AT combo weighs around 88lbs, tire is 49 lbs, wheel is 39lbs, thanks to Mark_AZR1T. So if i fit a 20" road tire, Scorpion AS Plus 3 Truck/SUV All Season - Touring Size: 275/60R20 at 38 lbs I'll be at 77 lbs. How does that compare with the 21" for weight as the tire sizes are nearly identical 275/60R20 = 275/55/R21?
Sponsored

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Not sure if you ever got the info you need, but I weighed the 20's and 21's today. Both have about 1000 miles on them. I got slightly different numbers than what I've seen posted here, but only by a pound. Probably the delta between the two is what is more interesting. Anyway, here's my findings.

85 pounds for the 21"
89 pounds for the 20"

Rivian R1T R1S 21" Wheel weight as delivered IMG_0422

Rivian R1T R1S 21" Wheel weight as delivered IMG_0423

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Not sure if you ever got the info you need, but I weighed the 20's and 21's today. Both have about 1000 miles on them. I got slightly different numbers than what I've seen posted here, but only by a pound. Probably the delta between the two is what is more interesting. Anyway, here's my findings.

85 pounds for the 21"
89 pounds for the 20"

IMG_0422.jpeg

IMG_0423.jpeg
Do you use the 21s without aero covers???

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you use the 21s without aero covers???
I plan to, yes. I just put them on today and did not put in the aero covers. I’m hoping to still see some range gains for a few trips I have coming up. I do have the aero covers and I don’t see any gain I’ll put them on prior to the trip.

My lifetime with 20’s over 1400 miles was 1.9.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I plan to, yes. I just put them on today and did not put in the aero covers. I’m hoping to still see some range gains for a few trips I have coming up. I do have the aero covers and I don’t see any gain I’ll put them on prior to the trip.

My lifetime with 20’s over 1400 miles was 1.9.
Hello @uthatch ! I just picked up a set of new take off 21s and will run with those until fall, when I will put the 20" ATs back on. I do not plan to use the 21" aero covers, unless I'm taking a really long trip. Purchased the $80 set of center caps from the Gear Shop. How has your 21" efficiency, sans covers, been so far?

When you put the 21s on, did you have Rivian recalibrate the UI, the UI and cameras, or none of the above?

OP
OP
Dirty_B

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Thanks so much and no, did not have all three options in one location until now.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hello @uthatch ! I just picked up a set of new take off 21s and will run with those until fall, when I will put the 20" ATs back on. I do not plan to use the 21" aero covers, unless I'm taking a really long trip. Purchased the $80 set of center caps from the Gear Shop. How has your 21" efficiency, sans covers, been so far?

When you put the 21s on, did you have Rivian recalibrate the UI, the UI and cameras, or none of the above?
It's been really difficult for me to measure the efficiency gains because the truck is new to me and I haven't had consistent weather to track against. Usually my testing is pretty good because I drive the same 100 miles round trip everyday. But with the rain here in SoCal as well as some other roadtrips, I haven't been able to really make a good apples to apples comparison. I likely will be able to when I switch back to the 20's. All that said, my gut is telling me somewhere between 5-10% increase. I was at 1.9 over about 1700 miles and am now right at 2.0. But again, I've tasked the truck differently with a road trip to Vegas with strong headwind and a camping trip this weekend. I'm leaving for Texas next week and am assuming 2.0.

As far as the calibration change, no, it did not happen. I went to service for wind noise, motor noise, and calibration to 21's. I got a new DU and nothing else changed. And with that said, I won't get it recalibrated because I just can't see how it matters. The truck works and drives perfectly fine, the 1" reduction in OD difference is not enough for me to care about the additional miles, and I'll be swapping back to 20's in a few weeks.

KimBrennan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
85 pounds for 21 wheel/tire combo? Sounds high. Rivian gear claims 79 pounds for the 21s. Per Tirerack the 21" Pirellis weigh 37 pounds, that would imply that the stock 21" wheel weighs in at 42 pounds. Now I'm really considering getting the Atomic wheels, the aw01 weighs 27 pounds, and a 20" 275/60R20 tire with the proper load rating and tire pressure capability weighs 39 pounds. That would end up being 10 or more pounds lighter at each wheel.

ebarke

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
why does this matter?
Occupation
software engineer
Clubs

85 pounds for 21 wheel/tire combo? Sounds high. Rivian gear claims 79 pounds for the 21s. Per Tirerack the 21" Pirellis weigh 37 pounds, that would imply that the stock 21" wheel weighs in at 42 pounds. Now I'm really considering getting the Atomic wheels, the aw01 weighs 27 pounds, and a 20" 275/60R20 tire with the proper load rating and tire pressure capability weighs 39 pounds. That would end up being 10 or more pounds lighter at each wheel.
I was just thinking the same thing and wondering if those would get as good as or better range than the 21's and be able to have much better tire options...I have plenty of tread on my 21's but thinking about switching to 20's when the tires wear out but want to maintain maximum range.

If you switch, please post how your range was affected. 10lbs of unsprung weight is pretty significant.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I just purchased the AW09 and will put on General grabber HTS60 which weight at 34 lbs. The Aw09 actually weight at 32 lbs according to their site, which will be 66 lbs total. Still 19 lbs less than my stock 21". Will post efficiency in the next month or so.
Sponsored