Sponsored

21" Wheel Center Caps - Move from the Aero Covers to the wheels

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I've seen the threads on buying center caps off amazon for the 21" wheels. After taking the aero cover off and inspecting it I realized I could modify it to fit the center hole on the 21" wheels. BUT, it requires chopping up your aero covers. I do not plan to run the aero covers (don't like the way they look), so chopping them up wasn't an issue for me.

The center cap is held on with 4 snap connectors. Here's pics of the front and back. Release the 4 connectors and the Rivian logo comes right off.

1.jpg
2.jpg

I used a rotozip bit in my dremel tool to remove the center of the aero cover.

3.jpg

Cleaned up the edges with my die grinder and a 80 finishing pad. Also had to knock down some molding on back side to make it fit into the wheel center bore.

4.jpg

Here is what it looks like before installing it.

5.jpg

It did fit a little loose, but not so loose it would fall out... so I added a double layer of double sided tape for now. I'll figure out a better way of retaining them after I get my wheels back from the powder coater next week.

6.jpg

Here's the before pic and the after pic.

7.jpg
8.jpg
Genius!!!
Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
So really we could be printing a holder for the original cap and just using that instead

OP
OP
SACDFJC

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
So really we could be printing a holder for the original cap and just using that instead
Yes you are correct. If I had a printer I probably would have tried it. I'm more of a metal guy and may still throw piece of aluminum in the mill to see what I come up with.

Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
Yes you are correct. If I had a printer I probably would have tried it. I'm more of a metal guy and may still throw piece of aluminum in the mill to see what I come up with.
I have a resin printer with some strong resin so this may be perfect, can you take a good flat pic of the underside if you have chance? Maybe a measure grid or tape beside it

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
I have a resin printer with some strong resin so this may be perfect, can you take a good flat pic of the underside if you have chance? Maybe a measure grid or tape beside it
Until RJ delivers on his promise for caps in the gear shop this is the best answer. I don’t want to sacrifice my Aeros and started measuring with calipers the other night..but I didn’t get very far before had to head out. My Prusa is on the fritz and I’m not as current with sketchup and slicers as I used to be but have plenty of buddies around who would love to print something useful. For now just running Amazon caps and with decals. Will try to post some photos with measurements if someone else doesn’t beat me to it.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Until RJ delivers on his promise for caps in the gear shop this is the best answer. I don’t want to sacrifice my Aeros and started measuring with calipers the other night..but I didn’t get very far before had to head out. My Prusa is on the fritz and I’m not as current with sketchup and slicers as I used to be but have plenty of buddies around who would love to print something useful. For now just running Amazon caps and with decals. Will try to post some photos with measurements if someone else doesn’t beat me to it.
Did you figure out the measurements? I've spent ages looking at threads and Amazon listing, but it's difficult to get a consistent answer. Using calipers, I measure the ID at 52mm, OD 62mm, but that's not a common size. I've ordered a 62/56 set, will see if they work (this is for the 21"s, I assume the 20" wheels have the same size center hub caps).

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I may be in the minority but I enjoy the look of the factory aero covers.

What I don’t like? Owners are reporting that the covers scuff/wear the factory wheel paint.

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you figure out the measurements? I've spent ages looking at threads and Amazon listing, but it's difficult to get a consistent answer. Using calipers, I measure the ID at 52mm, OD 62mm, but that's not a common size. I've ordered a 62/56 set, will see if they work (this is for the 21"s, I assume the 20" wheels have the same size center hub caps).
TLDR:

- I used 59/53 generic caps off Amazon and they worked fine.
  • Outer Diameter: 59mm / 2.32"; Inner Diameter: 48mm / 1.89"; Clip to Clip Diameter: 56mm / 2.2"; Base Outer Diameter: 53mm / 2.08".

- Haven’t finished modeling for adapters

- Factory caps not in Gear Shop yet but Service Center says they can sell them to you. (Not 100% confirmed yet).

Details…

I got all the dimensions down and got a good ways into modeling some adapters for the aero centers in sketchup…until I figured out I had it all screwed up by using a diameter measurement instead of radius. (Facepalm) Been a few years since I was reasonably current with sketchup and didn’t have time at that moment to fix it all.

Since then couple weeks out of country followed (now) by Covid…life…work etc. will eventually get back to it. With that said this might not be an issue for much longer.

My R1T ia currently in for service (Bluetooth LE issue not allowing Fob or PaaK to start drive…nothing major).

I asked about caps in the gear shop and the advisor said he thought the factory cap size was different than the aero cap size but that he would check.

Subsequent update voicemail from tech said they have caps ($35 each. Nice caps).

I haven’t spoken with them yet and not sure yet when vehicle will be available to pick up. They had to order a BLE bit.

Will confirm back when I know for sure.

The Amazon caps with decals have been ok…but the factory caps look significantly better imo so I am hoping that works out.

Now to decide whether to powdercoat them or not…probably going to.

Then we just need a couple more (AT/Snow) tire options. We’ll see.

Very happy with service experience and communication so far.

Sponsored

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
thanks @idiocyafoot that's great info. If Rivian really do have the caps (although they must be proud of them at $35 a pop!) then I'll abandon any ideas of making my own. All the Amazon caps look pretty crappy, none of them are OEM standard, and no sense in competing with Rivian if they're finally getting theirs out the door.

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T R1S 21" Wheel Center Caps - Move from the Aero Covers to the wheels 58BA24AB-8F81-4DBB-A900-913E59E6ED17
thanks @idiocyafoot that's great info. If Rivian really do have the caps (although they must be proud of them at $35 a pop!) then I'll abandon any ideas of making my own. All the Amazon caps look pretty crappy, none of them are OEM standard, and no sense in competing with Rivian if they're finally getting theirs out the door.
Confirmed service center can sell center caps. $35 @ But look much better.

Since I got these caps in gray (didn’t think to ask) will likely keep these 21s stock for now for long trips/summer and order a set of black 20 ATs at some point.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
58BA24AB-8F81-4DBB-A900-913E59E6ED17.jpeg

Confirmed service center can sell center caps. $35 @ But look much better.

Since I got these caps in gray (didn’t think to ask) will likely keep these 21s stock for now for long trips/summer and order a set of black 20 ATs at some point.
Asked them to add this to my service request for next month. Hopefully they will have them there.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
$35 per cap... as in you need 4X per vehicle?

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
He did - sort of. The 21" wheel caps were listed "in stock" in the Gear Shop on September 2. I ordered a set along with two colors of the newer t-shirts. Some time later that day the Gear Shop was showing "sold out" for the caps. As of this morning, the 21" wheel caps are no longer listed in the Gear Shop.

My order is still "Pending".
Sponsored