First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
a couple of shoeboxes of hood ornaments he'd "collected".
I might have "collected" a few hood ornaments myself in my early teen years.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
These are things that can be stolen for the schadenfreude of pissing someone off.
The best thing to steal, then, if one lives in a place where everyone is out to getcha, is a valve core. put the cap back on fast enough.

for bonus fun, on a vehicle with an externally accessible spare and TPMS that doesn’t indicate which tire is low, remove the valve core on the spare.

Frank Rast

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Mini Countryman, 2004 F-150
Occupation
Retired professional engineer
I don’t think people will be stealing these like hubcaps. They don’t fit on anything else.
They would fit on another RT, or RS. I get tire caps taken off my Mini

Givian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi
Someone with a 3D printer should work on some inserts for the 20” wheels. Custom inserts and road tires should help bridge the range gap a bit. lol

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Perhaps these people would be willing to make a version of their aero hubcaps to fit rivian's 20" wheels. They claim their aftermarket hubcaps are just as efficient as Tesla's OEM aero hubcaps.

https://rimetrix.com/

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I did a search on the forum and found the below. Maybe reach out to CS now that production has begun, to confirm. Manufacturers will do anything to save a nickel... 4 nuts per car = $$$ in profit, which should be good for the IPO:)

Smithery said:
Wheel bolt pattern, from a chat with Justin just now:

> All Rivian vehicles use the same bolt pattern, (5x5.5) and swapping the tires will not be an issue.
Something to keep in mind and verify if possible:

I have not found the quote, but I recall someone on this site quoting CS as saying that there currently was NOT an ability for the owner to configure tire size in the interface. I have to believe this is either a misunderstanding/mistake or that it will be corrected "soon". The difference in tire height can be meaningful in all sorts of ways (range, traction control, etc.).

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
They would fit on another RT, or RS. I get tire caps taken off my Mini
Something to keep in mind and verify if possible:

I have not found the quote, but I recall someone on this site quoting CS as saying that there currently was NOT an ability for the owner to configure tire size in the interface. I have to believe this is either a misunderstanding/mistake or that it will be corrected "soon". The difference in tire height can be meaningful in all sorts of ways (range, traction control, etc.).
I recently asked CS the same related question:

“ 1) Does the Speedometer automatically know/sense when I change Rivian-provided wheelset sizes? (Important both for knowing one’s true speed, and possibly as input to your range planning, mapping system). Yes or No? (I don’t need to know HOW you do it technically - OTA awareness/update, GPS input, rim sensors - I don’t care).

2) If my Speedometer question is a “no”, then how do I adjust it? Is there a manual input option via one of the screens?

3) Same for Suspension: does it adjust automatically in some way (have awareness, have digital feedback to/from the valving, etc) so that it behaves, reacts, performs correctly in each mode as Rivian has tuned it..whenever I swap out Rivian-provided different weight wheelsets? Yes or No? “

They answered..but did directly address #2:

Great questions! I'll be happy help, as best I can.

1) Yes. When tire/wheel sizes change we can update the vehicle so the vehicle will know speed/range updates as well.
3) I cannot commit to a Yes or No for this question. I don't think the various wheel options will impact the suspension and drive modes much, if at all. Each drive mode will be available with each wheel/tire option, and with the quad-motor drive system will be able to know where the best traction is for each driving situation, based on where you are driving and the terrain you're driving through

Bleo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Has anyone managed to find any trucks in the wild with the 21's on them at all? I've never even seen a real photo of them on a truck with the covers installed. Every photo online I can find, the trucks at the Venice location, and every truck at the first mile event had 20's or 22's. Not even any bare 21" wheels on display either. I'm beginning to get nervous these are going to potentially hold up my order? I can't afford the 15% range hit of the other options :(

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone managed to find any trucks in the wild with the 21's on them at all? I've never even seen a real photo of them on a truck with the covers installed. Every photo online I can find, the trucks at the Venice location, and every truck at the first mile event had 20's or 22's. Not even any bare 21" wheels on display either. I'm beginning to get nervous these are going to potentially hold up my order? I can't afford the 15% range hit of the other options :(
Look at the 200 picture album in the Motor Trend TOTY article. The end of it has a bunch of pictures of a truck with the 21" wheels.

Sponsored

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Look at the 200 picture album in the Motor Trend TOTY article. The end of it has a bunch of pictures of a truck with the 21" wheels.
Also the video around the 6:50 mark have a nice slow pan over the 21" wheels with the inserts.

I know they don't look as good/custom/masculine as the 20", but I don't mind then and wouldn't call it "ugly". I can live with the compromise for the increased range.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
Here's a link to the Edmonds review. Best I've seen for real numbers, 0-60, range, ect. Their test unit is on 21's.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
Hard to tell, but I think the inserts would look better with less or no "silver." If I end up with them, I might just paint them black.

Bleo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Here's a link to the Edmonds review. Best I've seen for real numbers, 0-60, range, ect. Their test unit is on 21's.

Thank you both very helpful. As luck would have it the MotorTrend video from today is showing them off in detail!

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Hard to tell, but I think the inserts would look better with less or no "silver." If I end up with them, I might just paint them black.
I don't think the inserts have any silver, I think they're all black. The silver you're seeing is from the rim.
Sponsored