First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Now that we know the range information, I'm more strongly considering the 21" wheels despite the fact I don't love how they look. Club Rivian on Instagram caught a covered R1T that had the 21" wheels on it without the aero inserts so I asked customer service this morning if the inserts were designed to be easy to take on and off. This was their response: "Ok was able to find it pretty quick, looks like you'll be able to remove them without requiring any additional tools!"

Here is the picture from the Instagram post:

Rivian R1T R1S 21" wheel aero inserts are designed to be removable - confirmed by Rivian Customer Service! 21%22 wheels removable aero inserts 2

Rivian R1T R1S 21" wheel aero inserts are designed to be removable - confirmed by Rivian Customer Service! 21%22 wheels removable aero inserts 1

Posted by @Matty J

Here they are side by side...

IMG_3011.jpeg

Here are the 21's without aero cover (no center cap), with the 22's in the background...

Rivian R1T R1S 21" wheel aero inserts are designed to be removable - confirmed by Rivian Customer Service! img_3006-jpe
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Now I see why there is a $1800 fee for the 20" wheels. The forged wheels are much better quality. The 21 inch wheels really look like any cast Aluminum wheel out there. I have driven an EV for 5 years and consistently get 20%-40% more range than the listed EPA. I know I'm going to get over 350 with the 20" AT.

OP
OP
jtshaw

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Now I see why there is a $1800 fee for the 20" wheels. The forged wheels are much better quality. The 21 inch wheels really look like any cast Aluminum wheel out there. I have driven an EV for 5 years and consistently get 20%-40% more range than the listed EPA. I know I'm going to get over 350 with the 20" AT.
That is interesting. I've been driving EVs since 2015 and I'd be careful to quote the 20-40% over EPA range as the expectation for everyone. Living in Seattle with our hills, mountains, and weather you almost certainly won't see that. None of my EV's have. Folks living in warmer climates and flatter places often see that though.

I definitely agree the 21's are the least attractive wheels by a lot...

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7

Rivian R1T R1S 21" wheel aero inserts are designed to be removable - confirmed by Rivian Customer Service! IMG_3011

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7

IMG_3011.jpeg
Someone should photoshop a carbon fiber wrap on the black part of the aero cover... I bet it would look good/better...

Sponsored

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Here are the 21's without aero cover (no center cap), with the 22's in the background...

Rivian R1T R1S 21" wheel aero inserts are designed to be removable - confirmed by Rivian Customer Service! IMG_3006

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

IMG_3011.jpeg
Without the aero covers I think the 21's look fine.

I agree they're pretty ugly with the covers, however.

I'm curious what the range would be for the EPA tests without the covers.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
That is interesting. I've been driving EVs since 2015 and I'd be careful to quote the 20-40% over EPA range as the expectation for everyone. Living in Seattle with our hills, mountains, and weather you almost certainly won't see that. None of my EV's have. Folks living in warmer climates and flatter places often see that though.

I completely agree.

I've been driving my Tesla X for some time now and I have never gotten the EPA rating. I live in a hilly part of the Seattle area as well and while the Tesla X is supposed to be in the 330/335 Watts/Mile... I'm in the 380-385 range. As such, I don't get the EPA range unless I'm on the highway, and even then... it's a crap show depending on tons of factors.

To put that in perspective, I should be getting around 305-315 miles on a 100% SoC, but I actually get around 267~286 in my daily driving.

Keep in mind, half of the year I'm on my Aero 22", the other half I'm on 20" aftermarket rims (for winter driving on winter tires).

I fully expect to get around 360-380 miles on my Max Pack with the 20" AT's, and anything above that will be a shocking (gleeful) surprise.

dixosw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I like the 21's without covers also. Good to have the aero covers for long trips and you want to eek out every last mile of range though. I imagine 5% hit on range with the covers off based on similar hit on Teslas with/without the aero covers.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
10-15% less than 314 apparently.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

That's pretty cool to know you can take those covers off cause like most folks, I think they look hideous. Thanks for sharing this.

I'm hesitant though because of the fact that the 21' tires are "custom". Rivian will be the only vehicle in the world with this particular tire size, per CS. That might be a nightmare when comes time to replace both finding it and the cost.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That's pretty cool to know you can take those covers off cause like most folks, I think they look hideous. Thanks for sharing this.

I'm hesitant though because of the fact that the 21' tires are "custom". Rivian will be the only vehicle in the world with this particular tire size, per CS. That might be a nightmare when comes time to replace both finding it and the cost.
I don't think availability will be any worse than any other vehicle with an uncommon tire size. Pirelli distributors(like tire rack) will stock them, rivian's own mobile service people will keep them on hand.

m0resn0w

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru CrossTrek (x2), Forester, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Business Owner
I am not a smart man. Help me understand why I'll get better range with the 20" AT (which is what I've configured.) I really don't understand the physics behind this. TIA!

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner

Definitely not the expectation for everyone. I'm just one of those guys trying to get every mile out of the battery. And it's really fun for me. So far today I have 12.4 miles on 1.9kwh (on a 18.4 kwh battery). I do have to go up hill to get back home, I'll report what it is.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
I am not a smart man. Help me understand why I'll get better range with the 20" AT (which is what I've configured.) I really don't understand the physics behind this. TIA!

haha, I'm just saying with my driving technique I know I'll get much more than the rated EPA, whether it is the 20" or 21" wheels.
Sponsored