Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

If you are concerned with snow, all of the stock rivian tires suck and are especially bad if slippery. But you have a few 3rd party snow tire choices with the 20" rim size, and none with the others. That might help inform your decision.
Sponsored

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I swapped from 21" to 20" and never completed the adjustment in the system. It doesn't really bother me which wheels I see on the screen. The speedometer is now showing more accurate numbers. with 21" actual speed was 1mph more than the speedometer.
I can't see any other changes in the truck's behavior. Also, the local Service Center told me there is nothing different besides the wheels in UI, speedometer, and range adjustment.
I'm going to use 21" for long summer trips and not going to make adjustments.
Also, I think it will be available in UI soon, the same as in tesla.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I took an R1T from Rivian Shop w/ 21" wheels in order to get it sooner. It's been great, but I knew that I needed a winter solution (I live in Tahoe), so when the 20" wheels with the AT's became available, I purchased a set. An appt was set up and the tech delivered them, but couldn't install them for some reason. The tech did what he thought would let the R1T know that it now had 20's.....it didn't work. I installed the wheels myself. I let them know it didn't work and a 2nd tech came out and attempted to update the wheel config. Again it failed. I got a call today from the service center. They want me to bring the truck into the Sacramento SC so that they can update the cameras and charge me $400 to do so. That should enable the vehicle to realize it had 20's vs 21's. Seriously? I told her, no way I'm paying $400...that's insane. She agreed with me, but I'm stuck at the moment with a truck that thinks it has 21" wheels. Aside from it being annoying and affecting the range estimates, what else might it affect? Traction control? The SC rep was very nice and sympathetic, but couldn't do anything. Anyone else have any issues w/ swapping wheel sizes?
If you're brave, find out if the truck is still top speed limited based on GPS speed or indicated speed.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If you are concerned with snow, all of the stock rivian tires suck and are especially bad if slippery. But you have a few 3rd party snow tire choices with the 20" rim size, and none with the others. That might help inform your decision.
My Nokian Hakkapellita R5 SUV are an exact match in size and load rating for the stock 22" tires that were on my truck.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

My Nokian Hakkapellita R5 SUV are an exact match in size and load rating for the stock 22" tires that were on my truck.
Sorry yes there are some for the 22s as well

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
When they reconfigure your truck for 20’s does the truck graphics change?

Max Power

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - Replaces F-150 Raptor and Tesla Model 3
This is fascinating. The point about suspension adjustments, if true is compelling. I'm sure its just a matter of time before it becomes driver adjustable, but who knows how much time... Although I imagine having ~25K car install base this winter is putting pressure on their scale as it relates to winter driving conditions... Hence snow mode is coming. Swapping wheels and tires is obviously commonplace. As someone who grew up in Park City, UT but has spent last 25 years in SF Bay, I've forgotten much about winter life.

I want a 2nd set of wheels myself (I have the 20" AT) and am just kind of waiting for someone who wants to unload 21" set and swap over to AT's when adventure calls, instead of 98% of the time when all that calls is work, driving kids to school/soccer or hauling mountain bikes to the trail head (which is adventurous for me, but not the truck).

iKnowKenMeadows

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 volvo xc90, 19 gmc terrain
Occupation
operating engineer
So wait… as long as the wheel circumference is the same why does it need programming? If it’s a 20 or. 21 or 22… if the tire size ends up being the same circumference wise.. what does it need to be changed for?

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
So wait… as long as the wheel circumference is the same why does it need programming? If it’s a 20 or. 21 or 22… if the tire size ends up being the same circumference wise.. what does it need to be changed for?
20's are 34" diameter while the 21's are 33" diameter, so a slight difference in circumference which plays with the speedo and range calcs a little. If you were to down size the tire and run a 33" tire on a 20" wheel no programming would be needed.

Sponsored

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

20's are 34" diameter while the 21's are 33" diameter, so a slight difference in circumference which plays with the speedo and range calcs a little. If you were to down size the tire and run a 33" tire on a 20" wheel no programming would be needed.
It seems silly to me that there would be any technical issues with the half inch height difference. It definitely nerfs your acceleration though. Once I have them switch back to 21" config in the spring I'm keeping it there.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Is it a legal requirement for the manufacturer to control since it will affect the odometer? (Over/under measuring miles driven?)
Nope. It's simply that Rivian has not implemented the ability for the user to select a change in wheel size. Like in a Tesla, we can choose any of the factory wheel/tire options in our settings. There's really no excuse for this issue at this point... People swap wheel sets for various reasons like to go off-road or for winter.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Nope. It's simply that Rivian has not implemented the ability for the user to select a change in wheel size. Like in a Tesla, we can choose any of the factory wheel/tire options in our settings. There's really no excuse for this issue at this point... People swap wheel sets for various reasons like to go off-road or for winter.
Well sure people swap wheels all the time. I have done it numerous times on my cars and have never had the opportunity to change the wheel size on the car. I guess I’ve always just had old cars.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Out of curiosity, what are the tire/wheel options in the UI for the Model Y? I just looked at Tesla's manual and the diameter of the 19 and 20" options are identical at 28" and 720 revs/mile. The 21s are the same for the fronts, but the rears are 2% larger and 706 revs/mile. Where for Rivian the 21 and 22" OE options are the same 33" diameter, but the 20s are 34" diameter tires or I believe closer to 3%.
Sponsored