Sponsored

Remove plastic inserts from 21" Road Wheels immediately upon delivery?

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Popped them off first thing when I took delivery, didn’t log a single mile with them on.
Same here. Took them off at the service center when took delivery
Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I've never noticed any scuffing.

Sometimes I have them on for road trips, and sometimes I have them off for the looks.

Lurksalot

First Name
doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Subaru, R1T
Occupation
none
Clubs

Took mine off the day of delivery just to see, & the wheels had started to show scuff marks.
Presumably from the shipping to the west coast, as the truck had only 18 miles. I'd planned to use them when on long trips, but haven't figured out a way to protect the wheels from scuffing yet.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
You could always pop them off, add painters tape where they mount, and put them back on. This would further minimize wear and allow you to benefit from the aero.

R1T Preds Fan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Warehouse Management
Removed ours at delivery and won’t be reinstalling until I can add protection to the clips in the form of felt padding and also at the end of the covers (outside edge) area they can buffet and scratch. Going to try and add some foam padding there as well… I’ll try and take a picture when I get home for better reference…

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I will soon be taking delivery of my long awaited R1T at the Factory in Normal, Illinois. My truck has the 21" road wheels.

I am seeking guidance from the group as to whether I should immediately remove the plastic inserts from my wheels. I will be driving the truck back to Florida.

I believe that I read here on the Forums that leaving the black plastic inserts on the wheels causes scratches where the retaining clips touch the wheels.

Brian
I took them off at the service center and popped them in the gear tunnel. The efficiency savings is negligible and they damage the wheels.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Anyone ever do testing to see how much more efficient with than without in the rivian?

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Had mine on for about 2k miles. There was no noticeable scuffing. I would say whatever your preference is fine. They don't make much of a difference for range/efficiency, and any scuffing to the wheels "should" be minimal or non-existent. That said if some dirt or a stone got stuck in there it could wear pretty good on the trip. They are very easy to take off, and easy to put back on if you decide you want them later. Maybe see if you can get a set of center caps before you leave the factory.