Sponsored

Remove plastic inserts from 21" Road Wheels immediately upon delivery?

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I will soon be taking delivery of my long awaited R1T at the Factory in Normal, Illinois. My truck has the 21" road wheels.

I am seeking guidance from the group as to whether I should immediately remove the plastic inserts from my wheels. I will be driving the truck back to Florida.

I believe that I read here on the Forums that leaving the black plastic inserts on the wheels causes scratches where the retaining clips touch the wheels.

Brian
Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Leave them in for the drive to Florida, take them out when you get to Florida. The scuffing is minimal.

Ravi4l

First Name
Ravi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Gen2 Raptor, Lotus Evora, Chevy Bolt/Volt
Occupation
Sys Eng
Take em out not worth the headache.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Take em out not worth the headache.
How quickly and easily do they go on and off? Do they just snap into place and you can add them for a long trip in 2 min, or does it more involved than that?

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Congratulations on getting your vehicle, I know you had waited a long time. Did you change your address to prompt this?

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Congratulations on getting your vehicle, I know you had waited a long time. Did you change your address to prompt this?
Yes, we changed our address to our son's address in Jacksonville. He took delivery of his R1S last week. Within the hour, I found that we had access to the R1 Shop. Then we got a call from a Rivian Guide, named Pam. We told her that we wanted to take Factory Delivery. She checked the orphan vehicles at the factory. There were two Rivian Blue R1T's that had different wheel packages than we wanted. We were considering one of these and decided to sleep on it. Early the next morning, Pam called and told us that she had found another orphan at the Factory that was exactly the configuration that we had ordered. We locked it in immediately.

Apparently, this R1T had just come off the assembly line. The VIN ends 224xx. We have started all the paperwork and planning our trip to Normal. We are very excited. We are going to make this trip an adventure.

Brian

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yes, we changed our address to our son's address in Jacksonville. He took delivery of his R1S last week. Within the hour, I found that we had access to the R1 Shop.
I'd buy a lottery ticket next. Ask the staff to remove the covers/inserts. If they say they can't ask them to show you how to do it and you can remove them before you start off. I have the 21" on order and plan to do the same day 1. Congrats on both R1s. Please, post photos and your experience on both. Cheers!

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Time for a science experiment for the Forums!

If you’re going back to Jacksonville, run with them on for 500 miles (or closest charge), then the rest of the way home without. And please send us your efficiency numbers when you’re done!

That said, if it was me, I’d probably just leave them on the entire drive home. :)

Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I will soon be taking delivery of my long awaited R1T at the Factory in Normal, Illinois. My truck has the 21" road wheels.

I am seeking guidance from the group as to whether I should immediately remove the plastic inserts from my wheels. I will be driving the truck back to Florida.

I believe that I read here on the Forums that leaving the black plastic inserts on the wheels causes scratches where the retaining clips touch the wheels.

Brian
Mine have been on for 1.5k. No issues.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I left mine on since I got the truck in September. I guess they really don’t bother me all that much and the extra efficiency is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager

Brian
Personally I would take them out. The scuffing could be considerable going from Normal to Florida. Plus, you will see a slight loss in range, so "win - win".

Last edited:

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

Popped them off first thing when I took delivery, didn’t log a single mile with them on.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I took mine out as soon as I got home from picking up the truck. Don’t forget to buy the caps to fit in the center.
Sponsored