hbkdinobot

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Hello,

I have decided on the 21” wheels due to wanting maximum range, however like most of you I’m not crazy about the look.

I came to ask on opinions on blacking out the rims. I feel like black 21” wheels would look better especially on my midnight black config.

I see that there are a few products on the market. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Send to a powder coater have it blasted and powdered. Not going to be cheap also will include dismount of wheels then remount and balance but will be the best long term durable option. I have done Plasti dip before and it works great as a see how the color you like will be to live with for about a year. But rubber is harder to clean than a hard glossy powder coat.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I was thinking the opposite: vinyl wrap the aero inserts with a bright color, say yellow, to really accentuate the flower look of the wheel.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Do like a copper tone with the black that would be cool.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I think I will like the 21" wheels better if they were black (without the aero inserts) but I'm also really hoping that someone does it first so I can see what it looks like. I really don't think the black 22" wheels are worth the price, but I may switch to them if the 21" wheels don't look good powder coated black. I'm trying to avoid the range penalty of the 20s, especially since I live in Wisconsin where there isn't really anything challenging off-road.

Sponsored

davidaugust

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V90, Toyota Camry
Occupation
retired
I will probably play with mine as well. Plastidip is a cheap and easy way to try things out. Also vinyl wrap. And you only have to do one side to try something out for a few hours/day/weeks to see what you think; no one can see both sides of the vehicle at one look.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
Id go with a dark gray with black vehicle

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
…opinions on blacking out the rims. I feel like black 21” wheels would look better especially on my midnight black config….
I was thinking the opposite: vinyl wrap the aero inserts with a bright color, say yellow, to really accentuate the flower look of the wheel.
Rivian R1T R1S 21” Wheel Blackout 6D6DDF9D-721C-44C0-ADBE-2E84804D4C48

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

That black is way better than my feeble attempts to edit the wheel last night. I think they'll look pretty good powder coated black. In addition to the cost and range savings, I'd rather have the additional sidewall on the 21s compared to the 22s as well.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I think I will like the 21" wheels better if they were black (without the aero inserts) but I'm also really hoping that someone does it first so I can see what it looks like.
I'm ordering the 21" wheels with a spare wheel/tire and plan on experimenting with color mods to the 21" spare. Unfortunately, I don't expect my truck until late-22 or early-23. I'm hoping to see what others do to the 21" wheels.

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I'm ordering the 21" wheels with a spare wheel/tire and plan on experimenting with color mods to the 21" spare. Unfortunately, I don't expect my truck until late-22 or early-23. I'm hoping to see what others do to the 21" wheels.
I'm also crazy-interested in knowing what the efficiency hit is for removing the aero inserts.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I'm also crazy-interested in knowing what the efficiency hit is for removing the aero inserts.
Whatever the efficiency of the inserts, it aint worth the fugliness of the inserts.

Rivian R1T R1S 21” Wheel Blackout AB148F72-41A7-4F97-9EBF-ACB4A24A762B

Last edited:

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I'd say powdercoating is the best solution. Strong/durable material and it should NOT be expensive. Ranges from $100-175/wheel. And yes you do have to remove the tire and have it remounted.

Prices vary based on region, but this was the pricing I've seen in the past.

Way better than paying Rivian for the black wheels IMO.

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
Dunno if this mule just had unfinished rims on it, but they do look good in black.

Rivian Launch Green sunlight outdoors 2.jpg
I wish Rivian would just make this a choice on the configurator…
Sponsored