21’ tire failed or something else !

Wowme22

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Anyone has any experience working with Rivian on tire replacement ? One of the tire failed today (or something else - doesn’t look like nail.) and I was safely able to drive 40 miles to home before tire pressure drop below 38 psi.

Rivian gave me service center appointment to replace tire 5 weeks in future and advised to reach out to pirelli if pirelli can replace tire early 😪

Rivian R1T R1S 21’ tire failed or something else ! FAF30A5D-E723-4C73-AC34-2FFE93B526B9

Rivian R1T R1S 21’ tire failed or something else ! 3B85C511-F9A5-44E6-A8A9-6763D3E243FD
Sponsored

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Looks like you ran over some shrapnel. Is it metal? Do you have a spare tire? If so, I'd swap to it and pull out the object with a pair of pliers for inspection.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Why not just order a new one from Tire Rack? Any tire place should be able install it. No need to wait 5 weeks.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah it looks like metal or some other road debris in your tire.

OP
OP

Wowme22

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Why not just order a new one from Tire Rack? Any tire place should be able install it. No need to wait 5 weeks.
Ditto however would like to see if pirelli would change free of cost as road hazard or tire failure - not sure…

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Ditto however would like to see if pirelli would change free of cost as road hazard or tire failure - not sure…
Does any OEM tire (from any manufacturer) provide road hazard coverage? I didn't think any did.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I don't see anything in their warranty that would cover you. I don't think the oem tires have any kind of hazard insurance.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
All depends on how valuable your time is and how long you are willing to be unable to drive your vehicle (assuming you’re without a spare).

I’d just order a new one from TireRack. I bought a 22” from them a while back and keep it in my spare well so that I can get same-day replacement at local shop if needed. TireRack got the tire to me overnight with base level shipping.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Does any OEM tire (from any manufacturer) provide road hazard coverage? I didn't think any did.
Not generally, but this is probably because if they did dealers wouldn’t sell so much wheel and tire coverage.

Sponsored

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Makes me glad I just ponied up the $430 for a 21" tire from Tire Rack. At least I'll have it and be ready on a road trip.....until Rivian will sell me a 21" wheel.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Anyone has any experience working with Rivian on tire replacement ? One of the tire failed today (or something else - doesn’t look like nail.) and I was safely able to drive 40 miles to home before tire pressure drop below 38 psi.

Rivian gave me service center appointment to replace tire 5 weeks in future and advised to reach out to pirelli if pirelli can replace tire early 😪

FAF30A5D-E723-4C73-AC34-2FFE93B526B9.jpeg

3B85C511-F9A5-44E6-A8A9-6763D3E243FD.jpeg
It may be worth going to a local tire shop. Since that is in the tread they may be able to demount the tire, patch it from the inside, mount the tire, balance the wheel and reinstall.

OP
OP

Wowme22

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
It may be worth going to a local tire shop. Since that is in the tread they may be able to demount the tire, patch it from the inside, mount the tire, balance the wheel and reinstall.
Thanks for suggestion however I’m paranoid so will replace tire and done.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Thanks for suggestion however I’m paranoid so will replace tire and done.
I get it. I have such bad luck with new tire punctures over the years that it doesn’t bother me at all. Perversely, the only new car I bought which did NOT end up with a puncture was a Corvette. It came with run-flat tires.
Sponsored