Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

This exactly. Additionally the fact that they have so few options available (both in terms of models and quantity), and the options they have offered (and Subaru) are of such poor quality doesn't help make the case.

If Toyota was pumping out BEVs at the rate that they do Tundras or Prius (not even their top selling models afaik) I have a feeling that "50 chargers a day" rate would be closer to 400. These install numbers do not exist in a vacuum. Demand drives where they put the chargers and how many they install. Same can likely be said for planning lithium mines in the US. Surely they are forecasting their investments around car manufacturers plans as well. EDIT: Also Toyota could build a network too, as other EV manufacturers have considered, to help move that charger per day number up.

Toyota also fails to notice in their analsysis that while there is a $10k difference in average sale price between ICE and BEV - the average consumer (not most of us Rivian drivers) will get $7500 tax credit on their car AND they are eligible for a tax credit on that "$1300" home charger install.
For the lithium mines there already is demand and having Toyota would not change the situation of environmentalist in CA and NV doing what they can to prevent new mines opening in the US. Demand is already here and unfortunately being filled by lithium from less safe areas.
Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

Prices not yet announced. Place your bets, the top end model will be over/under $60K?

Nsblifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid Touareg
This is going to be the best looking truck out there. Only second to Rivian. It’ll sell like crazy. Really like what they’ve done with it.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That Trailhunter trim will definitely be over $60k. That is getting a little crazy for an ICE mid size truck.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

That Trailhunter trim will definitely be over $60k. That is getting a little crazy for an ICE mid size truck.
You think it will be more expensive than the Ranger Raptor which is around $56k? We will see later this year.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You think it will be more expensive than the Ranger Raptor which is around $56k? We will see later this year.
I do think it will come in above that. They really went all out with that suspension.

Plus, a 2023 TRD Pro has a $47k MSRP and many dealers mark that up even more. The 2024 model will be more expensive with all the updates. So I feel like the TRD Pro will be priced to compete with the Ranger Raptor and the Trailhunter will be a good amount above that.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I have bad news for you about the Rivian.
LOL... no not really. My R1T is an experiment to see if an EV would fit my lifestyle and I had no intention of adding bumpers, sliders, bed racks or any of the other offroad goodies that are on the Tacoma to it. If I were to buy a Taco I would buy a base model sans the extras and build it myself. IMO I would prefer to outfit an offroad rig with best of breed parts and not buy something prebuilt. No plans for my Rivian to ever see dirt as I have a purpose built trail rig that will go places the Rivian is not capable of going.

Sponsored

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I love it honestly, I was surprised to see it could export more power (2.4 kW) than the R1T. Those seats in the TRD Pro are bonkers.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Based just on styling alone I predict Toyota has a winner. The new Pro looks awesome.

The new air suspension seats look very interesting. They will make off-roading more comfortable for front passengers if they work as advertised.

I bet Toyota hikes Pro pricing to the mid $50s.

Toyota leadership bet the farm on hybrid technology. It looks like the Tacoma will offer a hybrid drivetrain as well. I'm curious about the range in electric only mode.

Rivian R1T R1S 2024 TACOMA - Here It Is - ICE & Hybrid Competitor! 🥊 E5A4CDBB-F10F-454A-8F39-1C774AB184BF
Rivian R1T R1S 2024 TACOMA - Here It Is - ICE & Hybrid Competitor! 🥊 9802A5CC-2E26-461E-BD5F-7423B230917B

Last edited:

Riv3D

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I like the look although it looks a bit plasticy?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
This will be the last Tacoma Toyota builds unless they start building EVs soon.
Sponsored