First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Unfortunately they will probably put a 10 year old V6 in it and barely redesign the interior to catch up to what most mid size trucks offered 5 years ago and try to sell it as revolutionary.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Lots of effort to hide the underside. And the rumor mill says it will be a 4 cylinder turbo and a hybrid variant similar to the Tundra layout. It will be competitive with the Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, etc.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Lots of effort to hide the underside. And the rumor mill says it will be a 4 cylinder turbo and a hybrid variant similar to the Tundra layout. It will be competitive with the Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, etc.
🤮

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Unfortunately they will probably put a 10 year old V6 in it and barely redesign the interior to catch up to what most mid size trucks offered 5 years ago and try to sell it as revolutionary.
I thought the Tundra did a good job catching up on tech /engine / mpg; I personally think it looks great too, but that’s subjective. Figure Tacoma will follow similar formula.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I thought the Tundra did a good job catching up on tech /engine / mpg; I personally think it looks great too, but that’s subjective. Figure Tacoma will follow similar formula.
I agree on the Tundra - they did a good job with it IMHO. I’m probably just salty because I do love my Tacoma and wish they would make a BEV version. I know they eventually will, but I also hate that Toyota seems to be deliberately dragging their feet when it comes to EVs of all sizes. That’s why Rivian will get my $ and Toyota can continue twiddling their thumbs.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I thought the Tundra did a good job catching up on tech /engine / mpg;
Interesting take. Is Tundra coming out in all-electric now with 70+ mpg / 200kw+ charging speed / 500+ hp like everyone else (Ford, GM, Rivian, Tesla, even laggard Ram soooon)? It looks to me like Toyota did a decent job catching up with ten year old powertrain / tech specs from a generation of vehicles that are quickly becoming antiques.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Interesting take. Is Tundra coming out in all-electric now with 70+ mpg / 200kw+ charging speed / 500+ hp like everyone else (Ford, GM, Rivian, Tesla, even laggard Ram soooon)? It looks to me like Toyota did a decent job catching up with ten year old powertrain / tech specs from a generation of vehicles that are quickly becoming antiques.
We are talking current trucks on the market not announced vehicles coming out in a couple years. GM only has the hummer (not a practical vehicle in any sense), Chevy, GM, and Ram recently announced their EVs. It’s yet to be seen when any of these manufacturers actually get their trucks to market en mass. Ford is the only one that’s been quickly embracing the EV shift and building out after Tesla. I’m not a Toyota fanboy, used to love Lexus, all our vehicles were Lexus for a long time, but they started dragging their feet with innovation and tried to intentionally stall EV progress. That said I don’t think the current Tundra is equivalent to 10 year old American truck with its hybrid twin turbo V6, large center cluster and infotainment display, safety tech, wireless CC/AA; you may have a different opinion on that. Also not including Rivian here cause I think it’s elevated into the luxury segment and above the GM’s Chevy’s Toyotas etc.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
We are talking current trucks on the market not announced vehicles coming out in a couple years. GM only has the hummer (not a practical vehicle in any sense), Chevy, GM, and Ram recently announced their EVs. It’s yet to be seen when any of these manufacturers actually get their trucks to market en mass. Ford is the only one that’s been quickly embracing the EV shift and building out after Tesla. I’m not a Toyota fanboy, used to love Lexus, all our vehicles were Lexus for a long time, but they started dragging their feet with innovation and tried to intentionally stall EV progress. That said I don’t think the current Tundra is equivalent to 10 year old American truck with its hybrid twin turbo V6, large center cluster and infotainment display, safety tech, wireless CC/AA; you may have a different opinion on that. Also not including Rivian here cause I think it’s elevated into the luxury segment and above the GM’s Chevy’s Toyotas etc.
Only time will tell, of course, but I am taking everyone's current timelines and forecasts literally until proven otherwise. Silverado EV delivered to fleet before June and to retail before eoy. CT delivered to retail before EOY (that looks very likely now). RAM out by toy 2024.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Did Toyota release another Tundra re-design after 2022? Because when I looked at their "hybrid" truck I laughed out loud. What a dated piece of junk! They took 20 year old hybrid tech and tried to put lipstick on it. A true turd. Ni-MH batteries??? ROFL. A true joke.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It'll probably be the 2.4L turbo from the Highlander with around 265 hp / 310 ft-lbs.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Did Toyota release another Tundra re-design after 2022? Because when I looked at their "hybrid" truck I laughed out loud. What a dated piece of junk! They took 20 year old hybrid tech and tried to put lipstick on it. A true turd. Ni-MH batteries??? ROFL. A true joke.
Alex on Autos did a nice job explaining benefits of Ni-MH specifically in the tundra. Better cold weather performance no requirement for liquid cooling, takes less space and uses less weight. I could really care less to keep defending this I don’t even own a Toyota lol, but I figure they know how to make hybrids after making the most reliable ones for the past 20+ years.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It'll probably be the 2.4L turbo from the Highlander with around 265 hp / 310 ft-lbs.
That would make sense. And hopefully use less gas. After they are done playing with the gearing, etc on the Tacomas, the fuel efficiency always drops significantly from whatever SUV they chose that next engine from.

Toyotas greatest asset -reliable, predictable vehicles, has now become its greatest curse. Using the same slightly modified engines over 10-20 years has done well for them to this point. Now they are stuck in neutral while others take giant leaps forward. Toyota will be fine in the end - if they are good at one thing, it’s playing the long game. But they will lose some early adopter type customers over the next few years.
Sponsored