First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
  • Ford gave more details on Thursday about its upcoming F-150 electric pickup, saying it will go on sale in mid-2022.
  • Ford said the electric pickup will have dual electric motors, will support over-the-air updates, and will provide more horsepower and torque and the fastest acceleration of any F-150 currently on the market.
  • The F-150 electric pickup will be assembled in a new EV facility at Ford's Rouge Center in Dearborn, Michigan, and the batteries it will use will also be produced there.
At a press conference rolling out a new "built for America" ad campaign and celebrating the start of production of the 2021 F-150 pickup, Ford executives provided a few more details about the upcoming all-electric F-150. The new EV will have more horsepower and torque and faster acceleration than any F-150 currently on the market, the automaker said. Ford also described its "giant front trunk" (or "frunk") as well as its dual electric motors. Specific numbers weren't released.

Talking up the electric F-150, which is currently undergoing testing (a prototype based on the previous-generation truck is pictured), Ford said the EV will be cheaper to operate over its lifetime than any other F-series truck, saving "more than 40 percent" over the maintenance costs for a gasoline-engined Ford pickup. That's a point likely to be emphasized in marketing to commercial truck buyers. Ford also said it's developing a new mobile power generation unit for the F-150 EV that will let the truck be used as an electricity source on job sites, at campgrounds, or in remote areas.

The 2021 Ford F-150 pickup started production this week at the Rouge Complex, and Ford said the electric version will go into production nearly two years from now, in mid-2022.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...BtjMsrOLHR1U7Vet8dvaZ-KPKCYswqLE1iFzTCIYfRHxI
Sponsored

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Anyone consider waiting for the E150 over the R1T? Looks like it will have a frunk like Rivian.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Anyone consider waiting for the E150 over the R1T? Looks like it will have a frunk like Rivian.
I am. Current F150 owner and by far best vehicle I’ve had. Love it.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I am. Current F150 owner and by far best vehicle I’ve had. Love it.
Yes I love F-150s. Excited to see what Ford has coming.

SRFlorida

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford f150 ecoboost
Occupation
Law enforcement
I would definately consider it. I feel like most late preorder rivian customers won't have their rivians until 2022 anyways.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The F-150 is going to be a different market target than Rivian. Those here looking for a work type truck (long bed, etc) instead of an adventure vehicle may be better served by the Ford. It could also come in at a lower price point for the basic version (2 motors vs 4, less HP, slower charging, lower range, etc)

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
The F-150 is going to be a different market target than Rivian. Those here looking for a work type truck (long bed, etc) instead of an adventure vehicle may be better served by the Ford. It could also come in at a lower price point for the basic version (2 motors vs 4, less HP, slower charging, lower range, etc)
F150 can be a work truck or adventure vehicle. They are easily modifiable

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Any indication of when they will release additional details/specs?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In current form, yes. However, I would expect a large number of changes for the EV version, and very possible that any mods related especially to suspension (lifts, bigger tires, etc.) could be limited or not feasible.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
In current form, yes. However, I would expect a large number of changes for the EV version, and very possible that any mods related especially to suspension (lifts, bigger tires, etc.) could be limited or not feasible.
This is correct!

Sponsored

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
One difference that I think would be hard to mod out of the F150 would be it's size. I know some folks complain about the lack of full sized bed in the Rivian, but I see a lot of advantages of a smaller truck in the places I want to go. Also, being able to park it in my small-ish garage is another benefit.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Any indication of when they will release additional details/specs?
I would guess next quarter or maybe the launch of the Mach-E this year, they will definitely want to talk about their upcoming BEVS for that. They can’t give all of the glory to GM for their Hummer truck

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I would guess next quarter or maybe the launch of the Mach-E this year, they will definitely want to talk about their upcoming BEVS for that. They can’t give all of the glory to GM for their Hummer truck
Do you know if the new F150 or the mach-E will use Rivians skateboard or will they use it in other vehicles down the road?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you know if the new F150 or the mach-E will use Rivians skateboard or will they use it in other vehicles down the road?
Neither use Rivian's skateboard. First vehicle slated was the Lincoln project that was cancelled (or at least postponed).

Rivian obviously has tech to which Ford wants access, but it sounded to me like they were already too invested & too far down the path with their own engineering on F150 & Mach E.

Personally, I hope a Rivian-powered Bronco is coming sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Neither use Rivian's skateboard. First vehicle slated was the Lincoln project that was cancelled (or at least postponed).

Rivian obviously has tech to which Ford wants access, but it sounded to me like they were already too invested & too far down the path with their own engineering on F150 & Mach E.

Personally, I hope a Rivian-powered Bronco is coming sooner rather than later.
That or a rebadged R1T Ranger!
Sponsored