Sponsored

2022 R1T bricked. VIN 15XXX, Dec '22 delivery, just over 2k miles.

JordanClarkson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

(This is a crosspost from my Reddit post, figured it would be helpful to post here as well)

Software on 2023.6.2 since around March 3rd with no issues until 3/19:

SUNDAY
Truck was at about 62% charge in the morning (in garage but not plugged-in), and I noticed the app cabin climate wasn't working. When I got in the car the screen showed no warning lights but I could not shift into reverse, turn on climate, open charge port, or do anything other than change audio volume via steering wheel. Key fob did not respond, nor did any Rivian App controls.

Infotainment reset was successful but didn't fix anything. I then tried a full reset several times but the "about to reset" chime & message simply went away each time around 10 seconds in. I had Rivian support on the line when the reset did finally work, but it took about two minutes to go from 0% to 2% ("that's strange" from support), then about the same to complete the reset. When the screens came back on, most/all of the status indicator were lit, with the turtle & system failure indicators turning off and on intermittently.

The truck was completely dead when I checked about an hour later. Rivian Support sent a tow truck within a couple of hours (great!), and towed to a service center (I assume!)

MONDAY
I say assume, because on Monday Rivian called and asked if they could send schedule a mobile repair at my home for Tuesday. I said "no, because you already towed the truck to the service center....right?!" The Rivian support person said wires must've gotten crossed between Michigan & Utah and would get back to me with an update. Note: When I checked the truck's current vehicle location on the App it showed (& still shows) as at my home. It is not there.

For a few hours I was hoping that a nefarious tow truck driver wasn't on his way to Mexico with the R1T when they called back and confirmed the truck was at the service center...but couldn't find the key fob (which I had handed to the tow provider).

Fortunately, Rivian called back shortly after that and said the technician had found the fob "stuck in an odd location in their key dropbox."
And that's where I am now.

-----
Other thoughts:
No idea as to the cause. Seems to be a 12V issue, acc. to other comments & threads. Only thing out of the ordinary that I can think of is that I didn't plug the truck in overnight like I usually do.

I've been more than happy with the truck since Dec with absolutely zero issues until yesterday. I'm fortunate that it bricked in my garage, and that I didn't need anything from the inaccessible frunk, gear tunnel (doors at least), and center console.

I am fine with early adopter risks and won't be selling or looking elsewhere yet, but this straight up sucks at the moment. :D

Rivian support has been very kind, quick, and apologetic throughout but clearly is not a well-oiled machine yet. At this point I'm not even sure if the truck needed to be towed but I guess we'll find out.

Monday night update: I submitted a ticket for a minor issue (key fob has always worked fine but showed as not Set Up in the key menu), since the truck is in the shop & I'd like the fob update. Rivian support called a couple of hours later trying to help, unaware that the truck was at the service center.
Feels like Rivian support is filled with kind, helpful people working with poor support infrastructure and communication.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I plan to whip out my voltmeter if my truck ever does stuff that feels like a 12V problem before resetting it. If the batteries are already on their way out it's probably not going to manage a full reset, since it's probably a fairly energy intensive task with the HVDC converter disconnected and those batteries are quite small to begin with.

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
I plan to whip out my voltmeter if my truck ever does stuff that feels like a 12V problem before resetting it. If the batteries are already on their way out it's probably not going to manage a full reset, since it's probably a fairly energy intensive task with the HVDC converter disconnected and those batteries are quite small to begin with.
You're not gonna have any warning. Mine went belly-up this morning and it was fine one moment.... then blamo completely dark & dead. Mobile service on their way to do the 12v battery replacement since it's impossible to extract from my garage. Why is this happening all the sudden?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
You're not gonna have any warning. Mine went belly-up this morning and it was fine one moment.... then blamo completely dark & dead. Mobile service on their way to do the 12v battery replacement since it's impossible to extract from my garage. Why is this happening all the sudden?
What software version are you running? Did you do a hard or soft reset? I'm not sure why this is happening but it seems to be a huge issue right now.

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
What software version are you running? Did you do a hard or soft reset? I'm not sure why this is happening but it seems to be a huge issue right now.
2023.6.3 I didn't get the 2023.6.5 update yet. I did a soft reset when nothing was responding. Gotta be software with it just appearing out of nowhere. My vin is 79xx.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My truck will seem to take a long time to turn everything on if it had been left unlocked, but have never had an issue with it not actually getting to the point where I could drive it. I'm patient and wait for the screens to come on before trying to do anything else like put it in drive. Typically that's maybe 20 seconds, sometimes a little longer.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
2023.6.3 I didn't get the 2023.6.5 update yet. I did a soft reset when nothing was responding. Gotta be software with it just appearing out of nowhere. My vin is 79xx.
Interesting. Wonder who else is having issues after a reset?

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
My truck will seem to take a long time to turn everything on if it had been left unlocked, but have never had an issue with it not actually getting to the point where I could drive it. I'm patient and wait for the screens to come on before trying to do anything else like put it in drive. Typically that's maybe 20 seconds, sometimes a little longer.
That's pretty typical behavior for mine occasionally too. Just wait it out for a 10-20 seconds as you do. When nothing worked (garage door opener, screen, center console) after a couple minutes I did the reset.

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
All of these 12v issues really have me nervous about our road trip in 2 weeks.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

My guess is that Rivian is on top of this now, and will have a software fix out asap.
So the thought this is software related and hence fixable fairly quickly? Or is it as some seem to have said due to the battery chemistry used and another 12V battery would be better?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
So the thought this is software related and hence fixable fairly quickly? Or is it as some seem to have said due to the battery chemistry used and another 12V battery would be better?
This is absolutely not a battery problem. This is a battery management problem.

EDIT: And this is now confirmed via the 2023.10.0 release notes:
Fixed a very rare issue that caused an internal loss of communication when turning on a vehicle, which drained the 12V batteries.
Sponsored

Last edited: