Sponsored

2022 Launch Edition VIN Assignment - Need Help

Etah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Preorder
Hi All!

TLDR: I got a 2022 Vin assignment. Not sure if this is normal.

First time poster and new to the community. I was thrilled to get access to the R1 Shop for the R1S. Yesterday, I took the plunge and decided to go for a launch green exterior with 22’ bright wheels. I was assigned a VIN and was excited the wait was almost over!

However as I looked into my Vin, 7PDSGABL8NN0022XX, I was surprised that the manufacturer date was 2022. Is this normal? I’m surprised that the 2022 vehicles are still available. I’m a bit hesitant to buy a 2022 vehicle in 2023 and would have thought that 2022 inventory would have already been sold for a vehicle with such a long backlog of preorders. I plan to keep the vehicle for many years. Are many of the R1 Shop vehicles still from 2022?

Would love the communities thoughts! I haven’t been able to connect with my guide given the weekend. Am I better off to asking for a new VIN assignment and hoping I get a 2023 manufactured car? Or is it typical to see 2022 vehicles still?

Thanks in advanced for your help!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S 2022 Launch Edition VIN Assignment - Need Help IMG_20230311_201428

Warranty has you covered.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Hi All!

First time poster and new to the community. I was thrilled to get access to the R1 Shop for the R1S. Yesterday, I took the plunge and decided to go for a launch green exterior with 22’ bright wheels. I was assigned a VIN and was excited the wait was almost over!

However as I looked into my Vin, 7PDSGABL8NN0022XX, I was surprised that the manufacturer date was 2022. Is this normal? I’m surprised that the 2022 vehicles are still available. I’m a bit hesitant to buy a 2022 vehicle in 2023 and would have thought that 2022 inventory would have already been sold for a vehicle with such a long backlog of preorders. I plan to keep the vehicle for many years. Are many of the R1 Shop vehicles still from 2022?

Would love the communities thoughts! I haven’t been able to connect with my guide given the weekend. Am I better off to asking for a new VIN assignment and hoping I get a 2023 manufactured car? Or is it typical to see 2022 vehicles still?

I would not be too concerned, I picked up NN0016xx on 1/26/23 and have 6k on it, very happy with the quality. No plans to sell it so model year was of no concern to me.

Edit: Just to add my build date was 10/22, your is probably 10/22 or 11/22 about 600 after mine. There were a lot of vehicles on the lots around the factory so might just be more when they pull off the lot. You probably will not have a power outlet in the frunk but may have wood on the back seat, mine did.

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Is it possible all the launch edition vins are 2022 VINs? I know my launch edition is in the 4000 VIN range but produced later. It was one of the first Forest Edge interiors and I think they had pre-reserved VINs in batches prior to production.

Either way, I wouldn't care if it's 2022 or 2023. It's a launch edition so you figure it's going to be the first year anyway.

Fast911

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lightning
Hi All!

I’ve been in the R1S shop for over 3 weeks. I found a vehicle that I liked and knew that there were still 2022 models mixed in with the 2023. So before excepting that vehicle, I contacted my guide and found it to be a 2023 model, but the wife did not like the 20” wheels, so I didn’t take the vehicle.
There’s nothing wrong with the 2022 models, besides what you stated, so if it’s good with you taking possession of a 2022 model, then all is good.
My guide advised me that once you select from R1 shop, they cannot reinstate you back into the shop if you change your mind on that vehicle for whatever reason. It’s a one time deal in the shop. What happens then is that you go back to your delivery date for your vehicle.
I had the same thought as you regarding the 2022 model vehicles, that being a quarter of the year into 2023 and they still have 2022 models left.
Good luck with your decision. Who knows it doesn’t hurt to ask your guide if he can get you a 2023 model. What is your delivery date?

Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Hi All!

I have a different answer. At this point, I would only take a 2023. I took delivery of my R1S on 6 January and it is an LE 2023 R1S.

I had a 2016 Model X that I bought on 28 Dec 2016. That X was totaled and the insurance payment difference between my car and a car delivered a few days later as a 2017 was huge. There is a value difference based upon model year.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
To each their own, but 3 months into 2023 I wouldn’t want to buy a 2022 model. Life changes maybe you have no plans to sell right now, but you may need to for one reason or another and a 2022 will hold less value than a 2023. How much less? With such a new vehicle that would be tough to answer.

OP
OP

Etah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Preorder
Thanks for your reply! Delivery date is next Friday. So not a ton of time to decide! I didn’t realize the process would be so quick after choosing a car from the shop! I wish I had thought to ask about the manufacturing date before I committed.

I didn’t realize the Shop was a one and done. I’ll work with my guide on Monday during regular business hours to see what my options are.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with a 2022. I guess I just need to get over the psychology of buying a new vehicle from 2022 in March. Definitely love the Launch Green. So it may just be that all LG with BM were manufactured in 2022.

Fast911

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lightning
I have a different answer. At this point, I would only take a 2023. I took delivery of my R1S on 6 January and it is an LE 2023 R1S.

I had a 2016 Model X that I bought on 28 Dec 2016. That X was totaled and the insurance payment difference between my car and a car delivered a few days later as a 2017 was huge. There is a value difference based upon model year.
To each their own, but 3 months into 2023 I wouldn’t want to buy a 2022 model. Life changes maybe you have no plans to sell right now, but you may need to for one reason or another and a 2022 will hold less value than a 2023. How much less? With such a new vehicle that would be tough to answer.
All good points for @Etah to consider.

OP
OP

Etah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Preorder
Yes, this is my main hesitation. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Here's another way to look at it.

I priced on KBB a used car value for a Tesla Model X, white, with 55k miles, 2017 vs 2018. The 2018 was worth $3386 more for trade in over the 2017.

norivian

First Name
norivianyet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T in 2023 🤞
Thanks for your reply! Delivery date is next Friday. So not a ton of time to decide! I didn’t realize the process would be so quick after choosing a car from the shop! I wish I had thought to ask about the manufacturing date before I committed.

I didn’t realize the Shop was a one and done. I’ll work with my guide on Monday during regular business hours to see what my options are.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with a 2022. I guess I just need to get over the psychology of buying a new vehicle from 2022 in March. Definitely love the Launch Green. So it may just be that all LG with BM were manufactured in 2022.
You might want to confirm as that is not the same information i got WRT R1 Shop choice and changing ones mind on a chosen config/VIN. However, it may also be on a case by case basis based on reason/justification l.

OP
OP

Etah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Preorder
Thanks all. I’ve decided to wait for a 2023 VIN. I can’t be reinstated to the R1 Shop but my guide has agreed to help me look in the Shop for my preferred configuration with a 2023 build.

invernite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honday Odyssey
Occupation
Clicking refresh in the R1 Shop
Clubs

Thanks all. I’ve decided to wait for a 2023 VIN. I can’t be reinstated to the R1 Shop but my guide has agreed to help me look in the Shop for my preferred configuration with a 2023 build.
Not sure I understand what your guide is offering. If they find a 2023 build in the shop will they assign that to you instead of waiting for your original delivery date? Seems like that goes against the one and done in the shop policy.
Sponsored