Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Ah interesting. I think Conserve is also not persistent. Come home in the evening, take off in the morning, and then have to go futz around with the settings again.
I see, I don't use that one much so haven't really noticed. Was happy that Sport was sticky, because when I want it, I want it right then and there with no excessive button pushes. Really no reason they all should not stay in the preferred ride height for that mode. Other than perhaps Off Road, I'm willing to bet we all have our preferred height for each mode and don't change them (if they were sticky).
Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Ride Heights are persistent across different drives, with the exception of the All Purpose mode - it is persistent during a drive, but reverts to Standard upon a sleep cycle.
(Emphasis mine) Unless I'm misreading what you wrote, all-purpose changes height almost constantly for me. Almost every time I drive somewhere, it goes from Low to Standard. If I change it to low after it reverts, then it'll stick for the rest of that drive. But even if you get in the vehicle on Low, it rises to standard just driving around.

Conserve is similar in my experience, it'll adjust to lowest/standard based on speed unless you force it into a different setting after it's already adjusted.

The auto-height adjusting is kind of annoying in general. I'm starting to think they should only enable that for conserve, and then only when both on a highway and going over much higher speeds for some time (like 65mph).

I'm not really sure why it even adjusts for all-purpose mode. If you are driving long distances, then you should probably use conserve, anyway.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
I'm not sure Rivian anticipated Conserve being used as a default "daily" drive mode, more as an emergency range extender. I've honestly been quite surprised at the number of people who seem to want to default to Conserve.
Again the easiest solution is just allow people to use whatever mode they want lol.

People can have any number of reasons for wanting adjustability. My pregnant wife has trouble getting in on standard and I have no need for full acceleration as I don’t want to deform baby’s brain lol

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Again the easiest solution is just allow people to use whatever mode they want lol.

People can have any number of reasons for wanting adjustability. My pregnant wife has trouble getting in on standard and I have no need for full acceleration as I don’t want to deform baby’s brain 😂
I agree, Rivian seems to be overthinking things to a degree and perhaps trying to over-curate the user experience.

Sponsored

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Was just on with Customer Support about another issue, agent denied this has been released to the masses yet.
They are wrong, i got it today

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

I agree, Rivian seems to be overthinking things to a degree and perhaps trying to over-curate the user experience.
1000% this!
I think most EV manufacturers are overthinking things with the exception of the Ford F150.
The only part of the car that needs to be changed is the drive train. There is no sense in trying to reinvent the rest of the car after 120+ years of evolution. The x things that would make the RIVIAN 1000x better would be:

• A Start/Stop button that lets the user decide when the vehicle should be powered and when it should just go to sleep.
  • A proximity key fob that unlocks the door with a touch of the handle. Or at least push on the handle ...
  • An infotainment system that doesn't reinvent the way we all access our media through our phone. Aka, CarPlay and AA
All three of these can be addressed with OTA (and perhaps a new key fob).

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
"Reduced volume level of the pedestrian audio alert" Yeah!!!

Now please make it zero in Off-Road mode...
Using my (uncalibrated) app, I measured a roughly 10 dB drop. It is significantly quieter! Love it because it was comically loud before!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm not sure Rivian anticipated Conserve being used as a default "daily" drive mode, more as an emergency range extender. I've honestly been quite surprised at the number of people who seem to want to default to Conserve.
“Quad motors” was a big part of the Rivian appeal, for me. All Purpose in Regular ride height and Soft suspension is perfect for my daily use.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The auto-height adjusting is kind of annoying in general. I'm starting to think they should only enable that for conserve, and then only when both on a highway and going over much higher speeds for some time (like 65mph).

I'm not really sure why it even adjusts for all-purpose mode. If you are driving long distances, then you should probably use conserve, anyway.
My proposed easy fix: every drive mode should have an “Auto” button above the ride height list that is selected by default, with a tooltip (“i” icon or similar) that explains what auto means for that mode. Tapping a ride height manually would then disable “Auto” until you change modes or reselect it.

For special cases (e.g. I don’t think it will let you stay High at freeway speeds) it should just specify in the UI when you select that height (“High is not available over 60 mph”) and with a visual/audio alert when a change is triggered (“Drive height changed to Auto based on vehicle speed”).

The other feature I’d add is an interruptible countdown any time it automatically changes ride modes (e.g. after the calendar day timer, it should pop a modal on the next drive that says something like “Restoring All Purpose Mode” with a ten second countdown and a buttons for “OK” / “Stay in Off Road Auto…”).

I’m happy to wait a bit for these refinements but it is pretty clear at this point that the ride height behavior and drive mode persistence are confusing people.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
(Emphasis mine) Unless I'm misreading what you wrote, all-purpose changes height almost constantly for me. Almost every time I drive somewhere, it goes from Low to Standard. If I change it to low after it reverts, then it'll stick for the rest of that drive. But even if you get in the vehicle on Low, it rises to standard just driving around.

Conserve is similar in my experience, it'll adjust to lowest/standard based on speed unless you force it into a different setting after it's already adjusted.

Yes, to clarify I meant that if you put it in Low from Standard in AP, it seems to stay there (I don't count the fidgeting at stop lights to be changes to ride height).

My eTron did the same thing, and they even produced an infographic of the conditions upon which the suspension changed heights, which was speed based and different between it's Conserve and Dynamic modes. To make sure your head exploded, the speed at which it raised back after lowering was different from that which it lowered originally. Sometimes it's best to just stay ignorant....

Rivian R1T R1S 2022.23.3 OTA Update: Pet Mode, Parking Front Camera View, Cabin Light Adjustment, Updated Energy App & More 1656634181410

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Ignored.

I'm wondering if the car wash mode that retracts the door handles means that you can actually still open them when they are retracted. I'd prefer that to be the default mode instead of pushing them out, pushing on the opposite side to pop them out and open the door would be great. I don't like the obvious sign that the door is unlocked.
I don't have a way to verify yet, but can't you set the behavior upon park to leave the vehicle locked?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Update complete.....1 hour and 49 minutes......
Sponsored