2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
In reverse the volume sounds the same as pre update to me, in drive it's obviously quieter.
I hadn't checked that one, but I think your right. Reverse seems loud still.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Wish there was a way to force the update. Leaving for a week long trip tomorrow. Would be nice to have it before then. Oh well, nothing that is that beneficial to the trip. If the last update with pre-conditioning for fast chargers was the one I was waiting on I would be more upset.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I hadn't checked that one, but I think your right. Reverse seems loud still.
I haven’t really researched the relevant federal regulations, but perhaps there are different decibel thresholds for the pedestrian warning noise in Drive vs Reverse

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm tired of the "hurr durr no carplay"

Why can't people just drive their trucks instead of needing to be infotained?
Because some of us drive in areas without cell service. CarPlay allows rich interaction with the phone's content without relying on a network connection. Even the truck's built-in Spotify won't function without a connection, yet my phone can download my playlists for offline use. Likewise, I have Gaia GPS for off-road navigation...the truck's built-in maps won't show trails or work on roads outside service areas. I can also load GPX files into Gaia for trails I want to run and basically get navigation for them. There are tons of reasons to support this and those of us who want/need it are just as sick and tired of this response. If it's there, you don't have to use it if you don't want it...but with no option, we're just stuck when in areas lacking network coverage.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Because some of us drive in areas without cell service. CarPlay allows rich interaction with the phone's content without relying on a network connection. Even the truck's built-in Spotify won't function without a connection, yet my phone can download my playlists for offline use. Likewise, I have Gaia GPS for off-road navigation...the truck's built-in maps won't show trails or work on roads outside service areas. I can also load GPX files into Gaia for trails I want to run and basically get navigation for them. There are tons of reasons to support this and those of us who want/need it are just as sick and tired of this response. If it's there, you don't have to use it if you don't want it...but with no option, we're just stuck when in areas lacking network coverage.
The truck has offline maps and will navigate offline as well. It's not as quick to do navigation but it works. POIs work offline as well. It's not perfect but it's certainly better than what you're suggesting it is. But I see that you don't have a truck yet, so, hurr durr away I guess.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I haven’t really researched the relevant federal regulations, but perhaps there are different decibel thresholds for the pedestrian warning noise in Drive vs Reverse
Does the Rivian have a speaker in the rear as well as the front? My MINI Does and "moves" the PWS from front to rear when you shift into reverse. If the Rivian doesn't, they may need to keep the volume high to hear it at mandated levels from the back?

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Your comment about not staying at heights is concerning. I asked this for parking garage reasons I was told its remembered even after vehicle power off.
I am (perhaps irrationally) terrified of the height changing when I'm in a garage, so I will only enter if the posted clearance is higher than the manual's max height. And I will only enter on standard -- never relying on low or lowest to squeak by.

No trust on this one from me.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The truck has offline maps and will navigate offline as well. It's not as quick to do navigation but it works. POIs work offline as well. It's not perfect but it's certainly better than what you're suggesting it is. But I see that you don't have a truck yet, so, hurr durr away I guess.
I have a truck, had it for 2 months. I 100% agree with @zefram47

Rivian NAV is terrible even with a connection.. But I’ll listen to hurr durr all day long instead of nonsense discounting of others peoples opinions from you..

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have a truck, had it for 2 months. I 100% agree with @zefram47

RivIan NAV is terrible even with a connection.. But I’ll listen to hurr durr all day long instead of nonsense discounting of others peoples opinions from you..
I disagree, I think it works pretty well. There are some bugs with it but overall there hasn't been anything bad enough I've encountered to want to throw it out the window, besides when I had the whole infotainment system bug out a few patches ago. I'd rather Rivian focus on bug fixing and adding features that are vehicle specific than to spend manpower on enabling AA or CP.

Besides, with Carplay on the cusp of their second generation, it doesn't make a lot of sense to dedicate time to getting the current generation working.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I disagree, I think it works pretty well. There are some bugs with it but overall there hasn't been anything bad enough I've encountered to want to throw it out the window, besides when I had the whole infotainment system bug out a few patches ago. I'd rather Rivian focus on bug fixing and adding features that are vehicle specific than to spend manpower on enabling AA or CP.

Besides, with Carplay on the cusp of their second generation, it doesn't make a lot of sense to dedicate time to getting the current generation working.
I am not having this debate with you, it’s been had here many times. Nobody wants to read It.

I respect that you have an opinion and you don’t like CP. Please show the same respect to the rest of us that have a different opinion.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I am (perhaps irrationally) terrified of the height changing when I'm in a garage, so I will only enter if the posted clearance is higher than the manual's max height. And I will only enter on standard -- never relying on low or lowest to squeak by.

No trust on this one from me.
The only time the suspension adjusts to a degree that would potentially cause issues in a parking garage is at speed, for example in AP and going back to Standard from Low. This happens around 40 or 50mph. Even then, that's an adjustment of around 1.5", and I'd never drive into a garage with that tight of a clearance to begin with.

There is nothing to worry about in a garage. All of the adjustments people talk about when stopped at lights or at home are measured in centimeters, maybe up to an inch in an extreme scenario.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
The only time the suspension adjusts to a degree that would potentially cause issues in a parking garage is at speed, for example in AP and going back to Standard from Low. This happens around 40 or 50mph. Even then, that's an adjustment of around 1.5", and I'd never drive into a garage with that tight of a clearance to begin with.

There is nothing to worry about in a garage. All of the adjustments people talk about when stopped at lights or at home are measured in centimeters, maybe up to an inch in an extreme scenario.
I have been in garages with about an inch to spare, so I'll continue being very conservative in my decision-making here.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I have been in garages with about an inch to spare, so I'll continue being very conservative in my decision-making here.
And to frame it differently, the spec max height with antenna is 6'6.2". I am saying I would not enter a 6'6" garage just because it happened to fit on a lower suspension setting. That said, I did take it into a 6'7" garage this week...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I am not having this debate with you, it’s been had here many times. Nobody wants to read It.

I respect that you have an opinion and you don’t like CP. Please show the same respect to the rest of us that have a different opinion.
At least the people on the polestar forums have a right to complain about it. Polestar promised it as a feature for a long time and it just finally came available last week. But, that patch broke a bunch of unrelated stuff so they pulled the patch until they can fix those things. Most likely it required re-archetecting parts of their system and it broke things.

Rivian's statement has always been that they have no plans to implement it. And based on how it has been going with Polestar, I hope they stick to that plan.

I regret telling people who were so concerned about carplay not being a feature to not worry about it. You should have, and cancel your Rivian orders. Because if you feel like Rivian owes you something they have said they are not going to implement just because you spent $80-90k on a vehicle, I hate to break it to you, but they don't.
Sponsored