Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner

Somebody absolutely said it and the post is still there. You simply attributed the quote to the wrong person. That was the point @trickflow wanted you to understand.
OK. There it is correctly attributed. Sorry if any one got ruffled feathers. But as I say it's not something to be ashamed of. It's quite reasonable.
@electruck
Thank you, that is what I meant.
@ajdelange
Not ashamed and don't read into the post. I was simply saying that I never said it. Looks like @Sully151 did.
Sponsored

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
My takeaways:

1)5886 lbs with the 135 kWh pack --> well over 6000 lbs with the 180 --> conusmption closer ro 500 Wh/mi than I had hoped

2) Wheel slip in sand is not under control --> torque algorithms need work.

3)On road: off road:sand::300:137:60 miles range from the 135 kWh pack. Interesting
THIS. Number 2. The video's they have shown drifting around gravel and paved corners have been promising, HOWEVER, also in videos I've been seeing excessive "out of control" wheel spin by the tires with low traction. One of the benefits of fully locked mechanical center differentials in low traction situations is that you don't have one tire with low traction all of a sudden spin up and lose all its grip from a low traction situation. Hoping its just fine tuning algorithms and not a "wheel speed sensor resolution and processing power" issue. I look forward to seeing all 4 tires spinning at the same speed regardless of each contact patches traction.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
and this:
1604087585070.png

my hunch was right.
"Emme wasn’t using a production battery pack. Hers had about 75% of production capacity. According to our engineers (who took data from Emme’s drive in real time), someone driving a production vehicle in Emme’s shoes would experience an overall range average of about 220 miles of range a day were they living her experience with their production R1T. And yes, we included the sand!"
https://insideevs.com/reviews/451733/2021-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-first-drive/

75% of the 135 kWh pack, would be a tick over 100 kWh

Joewillie

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Firefighter
I don't know much about physics and may not be a Captain Obvious but here is a simple test you can do to figure out how inefficient ANY vehicle is on anything other than level, dry pavement.

1. Ride a bicycle at 14mph on level dry pavement.

2. TRY riding a bicycle in the sand. Good luck.

The 30 mile range that was quoted was not surprising.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
1. Ride a bicycle at 14mph on level dry pavement.

2. TRY riding a bicycle in the sand. Good luck.
Just for the record, you need to specify certain parameters about the bicycle in question. Tire size, being the most important. I am doubtful I can ride a bike with 23mm tires at any speed on loose sand.

Sponsored

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
It will be interesting to see how that regenerative breaking feels in the Rivian. Some of the Tesla's I believe have the option of changing how much regen you want. That might be nice to have but I haven't heard mention of that in the Rivian. Porches Taycan is said to drive more like an ICE with very limited regen but that is a different kind of vehicle. Coming from the offroad motorcycle world a lot of regen would equate to riding a 4 stroke bike as compared to a two stroke which doesn't have much. MIght be nice to be able to adjust it.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
In addition to regen "strength", I'd love to see user-configurable throttle response including regen.

I prefer to coast quite a bit, in traffic & especially coming up to red lights, instead of getting on & off the accelerator and brakes all the time.

For city driving, having the accelerator pedal alone allowing for a coast position & possibly increasing regen braking as the pedal is released further would be pretty cool. It would also be nice to have a much less sensitive throttle mapping when bouncing around off road...

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
Porches Taycan is said to drive more like an ICE with very limited regen but that is a different kind of vehicle.
It's actually quite the opposite. The Porsche has the most regen of EVs. What they did was put the regen when you push the brakes, unlike Telsa that regens when you let off the accelerator. Some say that was over-engineered but it does keep the ICE feel like you say.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I think I am going to go with "Auto" and let Rivian update the settings of my R1T as it learns from me and my fellow owners what is most effective.

Assuming thats a thing ;)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
In addition to regen "strength", I'd love to see user-configurable throttle response including regen.
Tesla had settings for regen vigour but I believe it is now either ON or OFF

I prefer to coast quite a bit, in traffic & especially coming up to red lights, instead of getting on & off the accelerator and brakes all the time.
How do you define coast? There is coast where the kinetic energy of the car is used to overcome drag and the car this decelerates. And there is coast where no energy is taken from the battery to keep the car moving. And lots of inbetween. With the Telsas you learn to "feather" the pedal to put manage the speed and power to/from the battery to your liking. Unless you ask the regen to take energy faster than it can you will never have to touch the brake pedal. The dirver's only input is the power pedal (often referred to in highly technical discussions as the "skinny" pedal. In other OEMs offerings one must manipulate padels or in some cases transfer his foot to the "fat" pedal to invoke regen to its fullest. What Rivian has chosen to do in this regard remains to be seen.

For city driving, having the accelerator pedal alone allowing for a coast position & possibly increasing regen braking as the pedal is released further would be pretty cool. It would also be nice to have a much less sensitive throttle mapping when bouncing around off road...
The mapping between pedal position and torque command is infinitely variable as it is implemented in software. Again, we are going to have to wait to see how they handle this.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
How do you define coast?
I use the ICE definition of coast in that I let completely off of the accelerator pedal & allow the vehicle to slow a bit on its own.

The mapping between pedal position and torque command is infinitely variable as it is implemented in software. Again, we are going to have to wait to see how they handle this.
Exactly, and I'd like to have those SW configurations at my disposal, yet in simplified form. I don't need to know the torque figures, but "go" or "regen" percentages in relation to pedal position would be awesome. Allow Rivian-provided or custom presets.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I use the ICE definition of coast in that I let completely off of the accelerator pedal & allow the vehicle to slow a bit on its own.

provide as much regen.

Exactly, and I'd like to have those SW configurations at my disposal, yet in simplified form. I don't need to know the torque figures, but "go" or "regen" percentages in relation to pedal position would be awesome. Allow Rivian-provided or custom presets.
GM provides two driving modes, D and L, in L they have one pedal driving with vehicle speed directly proportional to pedal position. With the foot off the pedal the car will come to a complete stop. In D, the car coasts just like an ICE vehicle and will not provide as much regen. They also have a button on the back of the steering wheel to apply extra regen manually, that works in D or L.

Emme indicated that Rivian had one pedal driving in her write-up, but there was no mention of how to select it.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Emme indicated that Rivian had one pedal driving in her write-up, but there was no mention of how to select it.
in the video interview, she said that Rivian worked with her to customize the amount of regen. For the most part it was great, but in deep sand it would have been desirable to have less to avoid "digging in".
Although Tesla just removed the option to adjust regen level in a recent OTA update, I think Rivian will incorporate it given the feedback from Emme (and likely others).

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
in the video interview, she said that Rivian worked with her to customize the amount of regen. For the most part it was great, but in deep sand it would have been desirable to have less to avoid "digging in".
Although Tesla just removed the option to adjust regen level in a recent OTA update, I think Rivian will incorporate it given the feedback from Emme (and likely others).
It would make sense to have easily variable regen for an off-road vehicle (paddles?) since overly aggressive capture would cause digging in and under aggressive would give up free energy. For street driving, the regen settings on the BMW i3 are about perfect, and I hope the Rivian is similar. The only changes I'd make would be to bring the vehicle to a predictable stop and to keep it there until the pedal us pushed again (instead of slowing and then allowing roll). The "allow roll" for the i3 was an intentional decision from what I've read with some misplaced concept of making it act like an ICE car and allowing creeping if your foot was not on the brake (determined by some guy who never sits in traffic I'd guess). Hmm, the other nice feature I'd like is some indication that the Rivian sees the vehicle in front of you and if you let off the pedal it will come to a smooth stop (with adjustable aggressiveness?) one car length behind it without further input from you.