A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
My takeaways:

1)5886 lbs with the 135 kWh pack --> well over 6000 lbs with the 180 --> conusmption closer ro 500 Wh/mi than I had hoped

2) Wheel slip in sand is not under control --> torque algorithms need work.

3)On road: off road:sand::300:137:60 miles range from the 135 kWh pack. Interesting

Last edited:

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
My takeaways:

1)5886 lbs with the 135 kWh pack --> well over 6000 lbs with the 180 --> conusmption closer ro 500 Wh/mi than I had hoped

3)On road: off road:sand::300:237:60 miles range from the 135 kWh pack. Interesting
Keep in mind her numbers are real life [ with range anxiety], most likely not that close to empty since they are in a rally, they shouldn't risk getting stuck or they get a penalty. This was mentioned in one of the live events.
However these are the first actual range numbers we are seeing, so we def need to keep them in mind.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Keep in mind her numbers are real life [ with range anxiety], most likely not that close to empty since they are in a rally, they shouldn't risk getting stuck or they get a penalty. This was mentioned in one of the live events.
However these are the first actual range numbers we are seeing, so we def need to keep them in mind.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Adding context to the results otherwise this thread will become another manufacturer range vs epa vs real world discussion.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Disappointing article. I was really hoping for a detailed review and new insights. Instead we mostly got a rehash of vehicle specs and other info we already know. :(

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
My takeaways:

3)On road: off road:sand::300:237:60 miles range from the 135 kWh pack. Interesting

Off Road she quoted 137 miles of range not 237.... I thought that was shockingly low.

I am seriously trying not to read too much into anything, pre-production, and it's fair to say we have no idea how low they ran the battery as previously mentioned as they wouldn't want a penalty for running out. But she also didn't use the A/C even on the 100 plus days.... dang... That's tough. This just put's me more firmly in the 180kwh camp.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Off Road she quoted 137 miles of range not 237....
You are absolutely right. I fixed it.

I thought that was shockingly low.
You shouldn't have been surprised. To get the EPA rated mileages these vehicles promise everything has to be just right. While at cruise on the freeway drag is the biggest consumer of battery at slower speeds inertial and gravitational load, even with regen as revovery isn't 100%, rolling resistance and slip begin to raise their ugly heads. As the sand dune numbers indicate, these become huge. If you have been driving a BEV you will know what even wet pavement can do to range.

I am seriously trying not to read too much into anything, pre-production, and it's fair to say we have no idea how low they ran the battery as previously mentioned as they wouldn't want a penalty for running out.
Some engineering tweaking is clearly required to fix the spin problem the article mentioned but now amount of engineering is going to fix the rolling resistance in sand, mud, gravel... induces.

But she also didn't use the A/C even on the 100 plus days.... dang... That's tough. This just put's me more firmly in the 180kwh camp.
Clearly these numbers have to be regarded as anecdotal (which is curious as they have been puiblished).

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I am not surprised or shocked - the eMPG ratings are on a flat track under ideal conditions. Off-road, dunes, mud, steep hill climbs will destroy those ratings. Hell, with just normal city driving you will never achieve the stated specs.

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
I think it's credit to Rivian for lifting the embargo and allowing Hall to write an honest review. I don't know how often this happens but it seems this is a rare chance for the public to have a peek behind the curtain of a pre-production vehicle's specs written by a legit journalist. They could have kept her from writing anything negative but didn't.

As for the range issue, this may be the first time we're seeing range differences for a BEV in an off-road situation. Sand and dirt may have more of an impact than we know.

Rivian was following along during the rally collecting data and filming so I imagine there will be lots more info coming.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
As Emme mentioned, deep sand and greatly reduced tire pressures (she dropped from 38 to 22 psi in the sand) will greatly reduce the efficiency of any vehicle. I see mention in Jeep forums of getting maybe 5 mpg in these same dunes. The reported ranges are great feedback for offroad use with a real world cargo load and an aero config that was far from "clean".

It's hard to say if there is really a tire spin "problem" or not based on the article. With over 820 lb-ft on tap, if you wood the throttle you're going to spin the tires on any surface but especially when driving in loose sand (people have been buying muscle cars for decades to do just that on pavement). What wasn't clear from Emme's report is whether digging in was avoidable with judicious throttle application (combined with airing down tires, etc) or whether the throttle sensitivity may have been a little too high for the conditions. The fact that they were successfully able to climb Oldsmobile Hill says their traction control is probably dialed in fairly well. Anyone that watched video of the Rebelle also saw that there were plenty of other vehicles getting stuck in the dunes - it is a very challenging environment for any vehicle.

Regardless, this is precisely why Rivian is subjecting their vehicles to this kind of testing and I'm sure they're busy making refinements as we patiently (or impatiently) await delivery.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I would say this is a real world test with probably minor configuration moving forward. While 137 miles in sand dunes seems like nothing keep in mind that during the time the batteries were probably not in the best environment temperature wise with heat from the sand dunes radiating above the skateboard.

I would equate to it as being stuck in the snow for 137 miles which is a lot easier to imagine than Sand Dunes as most of us who haven't off road in the dunes.

In any case I think this is also more of a specs + what happened rather than a review which is fine as Emme's opinion may vary. I think the few sentences state the correct attitude she feels towards RIvian which is:

The Rivian R1T has some mighty strong bones. And if it's this good through the toughest terrain, the fully fleshed-out production model should be nothing short of a game-changer.
Sponsored