Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
IT
Clubs

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36276154/2021-ford-f-150-onboard-scales-announced/

I love the thought of having these features available and I believe Rivian has all the components needed to make this work at launch or through OTA updates. I think it would really help to keep drivers safe and informed.

Has anyone received more specifics on the towing/hauling features? Other than the generic "assistance" mentioned in the driver+ section.
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I love the thought of having these features available and I believe Rivian has all the components needed to make this work at launch or through OTA updates. I think it would really help to keep drivers safe and informed.
Not necessarily. This requires a force sensor at each wheel/axle, and also one in the trailer hitch for tongue weight. Aircraft have these sensor in the landing gear so that they can compute weight and balance for the pilot.

I did hear they will not have the "invisible trailer" feature that GM has, but that may be patented.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Funny, I also follow a 2021 F-150 forum much like this one and this news article arose this morning. After a few moments contemplating it, I thought, "I wonder if Rivian has the tools/tech to do this?"

Not for certain that it requires a load or force sensor. Could be calibrated to a displacement/position sensor and the inflation pressure of the air suspension. Meaning for a fixed PSI in the bag, unladened truck will rise to a certain point/height. Then with payload added in the bed or weight on the hitch will compress the strut for a measurable amount. Not as accurate as a load sensor but maybe good enough for looking at limits of payload.

I really dig that Ford integrated the load level indicator bars in the LED taillights.

Rivian R1T R1S 2021 Ford F-150 Will Add Onboard Scales for Hauling F-150taillampindicatorbars.PNG

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Not for certain that it requires a load or force sensor. Could be calibrated to a displacement/position sensor and the inflation pressure of the air suspension. Meaning for a fixed PSI in the bag, unladened truck will rise to a certain point/height. Then with payload added in the bed or weight on the hitch will compress the strut for a measurable amount. Not as accurate as a load sensor but maybe good enough for looking at limits of payload.
Bingo. Air suspension does have ride height sensors & Rivian has said that the suspension will adjust for load (probably back to "level"). It's really just a math exercise between PSI & ride height.
Sponsored