2019 Preorder - Extend Preorder to future Model Year

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Hey gang - I've missed many of you the past 1.5 years - hope everyone is doing well. I'm a 2019 preorder holder who was crazy about getting a Rivian.

Fast forward... we welcomed a new addition to the family and I needed a 3 row SUV. I went ahead and bought a 2021 Kia Telluride SX-Prestige. Absolutely love this vehicle.

Now I asked Rivian this question and got the generic response of let the Guides reach out to you and discuss the situation. Every case is different.

My question - If I don't want delivery of a 2021MY, can I just tell them to save my spot for a 2022, or 2023 perhaps? I mean they've had $1k already for 2 years...what's another 2 years matter! Has anyone run into this yet?
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Hey gang - I've missed many of you the past 1.5 years - hope everyone is doing well. I'm a 2019 preorder holder who was crazy about getting a Rivian.

Fast forward... we welcomed a new addition to the family and I needed a 3 row SUV. I went ahead and bought a 2021 Kia Telluride SX-Prestige. Absolutely love this vehicle.

Now I asked Rivian this question and got the generic response of let the Guides reach out to you and discuss the situation. Every case is different.

My question - If I don't want delivery of a 2021MY, can I just tell them to save my spot for a 2022, or 2023 perhaps? I mean they've had $1k already for 2 years...what's another 2 years matter! Has anyone run into this yet?
It's worth asking if they can explicitly save your spot, but the other thing you could do is just change your configuration to the one we know they will build last - an Explore with Max pack. That will buy you some time. And as soon as they announce the small battery pack, switch to that config to buy even more time.

JEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 2016 Volvo S60
Occupation
Technical Support
They are starting with the 2022 model year, so even if it ships in 2021, the title will show it as 2022

OP
OP
JerseyGreens

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
It's worth asking if they can explicitly save your spot, but the other thing you could do is just change your configuration to the one we know they will build last - an Explore with Max pack. That will buy you some time. And as soon as they announce the small battery pack, switch to that config to buy even more time.
Absolutely genius - thank you! I'll see if I can keep buying time this way...I've gotten offers over what I paid for my Telluride which is absolutely crazy but I can't part ways with it yet!

Rivian R1T R1S 2019 Preorder - Extend Preorder to future Model Year IMG_20210314_114506

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
They are starting with the 2022 model year, so even if it ships in 2021, the title will show it as 2022
Yes, but if someone isn't getting a delivery until Summer 2022 then they may want to wait for a MY23 vehicle.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

stingerdav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Titan Pro-4x, Subaru Ascent

I have spoken with Rivian's CS and they confirmed that they would hold my reservation until I'm ready. I didn't specifically ask how long they would hold it, but in my case, I am waiting on a Max pack R1T, and I told them it would probably be towards the end of 2022 before I'm ready (currently on a trip around the country towing an Airstream), and they said that would be no problem.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I wonder if they'll even do a 2023 model. They won't even have production fully ramped by the time a 23 model would need to start. Maybe they'll skip 23 and just incorporate minor tweaks as needed where quality issues are discovered.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I'm more impressed you got a Telluride! I tried to buy one a month ago and the dealer was charging $24k over MSRP for the SX.

OP
OP
JerseyGreens

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I'm more impressed you got a Telluride! I tried to buy one a month ago and the dealer was charging $24k over MSRP for the SX.
I'll say that I spent a lot of time on the Telluride Forums to learn the ins and outs on getting my hands on one. I even got it at MSRP. I had to wait 7 months from ordering until getting it but it was worth the wait.

Some dealerships are getting away with pure robbery with their markups on these but buyers are paying the premium in some instances which amazes me even more...

OP
OP
JerseyGreens

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I wonder if they'll even do a 2023 model. They won't even have production fully ramped by the time a 23 model would need to start. Maybe they'll skip 23 and just incorporate minor tweaks as needed where quality issues are discovered.
Fair point - I didn't mean to get model years into the conversation. I just wanted to find a loophole on saving my spot in line but pushing back my order.
Sponsored