2018 order for R1S. Jan-Feb. window. Now I get this guide communication

RivCCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, R1S on order
Occupation
Private
I get the confirm configuration email on 1/6 and immediately confirm. I reach out to my guide to see what happens next:

"You are essentially next in line but we are awaiting your configuration to be batched at the factory and I don't have insight into when that will happen. Once your vehicle is built you will be 6-8 weeks away from taking delivery. This estimate starts once you receive an email that the Purchase Process has opened. Once it has opened I recommend not completing insurance or payment until we indicate it is ready for pick up."

I respond: "So it sounds like you are saying Rivian will miss my window again. Seriously? You've got to be kidding me."

No response. Seriously? How many delivery windows have they missed now?

:mad::mad::mad:
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I understand your frustration after waiting that long, but would you rather they lie to you about when your S will be ready? Your guide is giving you accurate information. And you ARE moving to the next step. If you don't like it I suppose you can cancel after all that time and let one of the many thousands of others in line have your spot.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
They're a new company trying to scale, all delivery windows are just estimates. I ordered a Bolt from Chevy 4 months ago and they still don't have an ETA on when it's even going to be accepted, so to expect Rivian to be able to give you an exact delivery window is a little unrealistic. My R1S delivery estimate is sometime in 2024, it is what it is.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Once your vehicle is built you will be 6-8 weeks away from taking delivery. This estimate starts once you receive an email that the Purchase Process has opened.
For what it's worth, from the time my purchase process opened to my actual delivery was 6 days

OP
OP

RivCCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, R1S on order
Occupation
Private
I understand your frustration after waiting that long, but would you rather they lie to you about when your S will be ready? Your guide is giving you accurate information. And you ARE moving to the next step. If you don't like it I suppose you can cancel after all that time and let one of the many thousands of others in line have your spot.
I don't want them to lie. I appreciate that, however, the continued failure to keep commitments is frustrating. Additionally, with the number of configuration confirmations that went out, I don't trust that the delivery windows will be honored over configuration efficiencies.

Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
For what it's worth, from the time my purchase process opened to my actual delivery was 6 days
Mine was quick too, but i'm curious if you received yours before or after they switched over to rail transport. I received mine before they made this change so transportation to the SC didn't take long.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Mine was quick too, but i'm curious if you received yours before or after they switched over to rail transport. I received mine before they made this change so transportation to the SC didn't take long.
Mine was truck, not rail.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I don't want them to lie. I appreciate that, however, the continued failure to keep commitments is frustrating. Additionally, with the number of configuration confirmations that went out, I don't trust that the delivery windows will be honored over configuration efficiencies.
Not too many EV companies have kept commitments in the past few years. Tesla is probably the only one. Every other automaker has been killed by supply chain issues, staffing shortages, etc. Rivian happens to be a new company trying to release their very first 2 vehicles during all of that.

Yes, their communications range from non-existent to horrible. But so do most of the communications from the other companies. Ask someone with a VW or Lightning or Hummer reservation how many communications they got about their orders. Probably little to none and they likely had their price increased multiple times along the way. Ford has raised the price on the Lightning 4 times in the past year.

Yes, they should do their best to meet their commitments. Batching the builds is actually how they do that better. They weren't doing it that way before. And even though the communication isn't what you wanted, it is transparent and accurate. I really do understand you being frustrated. I would be too after waiting that long.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This. I'm sure the 6-8 weeks is a canned response that they're issuing to cover for worst case scenarios. I think they have learned that it is better to underpromise and overdeliver, as evidenced by many receiving their vehicles ahead of schedule lately (of course, there will be exceptions). I'd sure be frustrated if I had been waiting as long as you have, but it also pays to be nice in your interactions with Rivian employees.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This. I'm sure the 6-8 weeks is a canned response that they're issuing to cover for worst case scenarios. I think they have learned that it is better to underpromise and overdeliver, as evidenced by many receiving their vehicles ahead of schedule lately (of course, there will be exceptions). I'd sure be frustrated if I had been waiting as long as you have, but it also pays to be nice in your interactions with Rivian employees.
I think you are exactly right. And to me it shows they learned some lessons last year. My guide said as much in my intro call - that they were taking a different approach to the batches and trying to be conservative on their delivery estimates. That's a great thing IMHO.

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

Giving accurate estimates these days is nearly impossible. I work at server and cluster systems integrator and we could estimate 3-4 months for an order based on what we know and it could take 8+ months in reality due to shortages or whatever issues come up. Sometimes (though rare now a days) we could quote 6-8 months and it'll be ready in 2. Heck, even over Christmas I tried to buy AirTags and the Apple site said no stock in stores till early January and mail shipments ETA Jan 10, but then I checked the next day on like the 28th and boom; in stock at the store. Like some others say, 6-8 weeks could be 6 days. You have waited 4 years since preorder. What is another <8 weeks?

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
congrats!!!

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
They always quote 6-8 weeks once they confirm. Which is essentially in your 2 month delivery window. Not sure why you are so outraged.
Sponsored