Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
About two weeks into ownership, I figured I should put the truck to the test on a good road trip. The trip is only half done (I'm still in Saskatchewan), but I figured I'd share some early info. So far, the truck has been great. I've developed a couple noises (mostly front suspension, but also some clicking from the rear end that I only notice between about 0-5mph), but nothing that critical.

On I5, the Driver+ stuff was pretty good. Better than I expected. Much better than an Etron. Once we got into Canada though, we only had regular adaptive cruise. It turns out it really sucks when you use the throttle for passing while cruise is active. If you give it a little input, it's almost like cruise is fighting you (and it oscillates between cruise-set speed, and the speed you're commanding with the pedal). If you give it a lot of input (foot to the floor), when you release it once you're past the vehicle you're passing, it lays on the brakes to get you back to the cruise set speed (it really does feel like it's more than just full regen, even). This was extremely annoying, because I normally like to coast back down to cruising speed after a pass. The update notes for the most recent OTA mentions fixing some cruise behavior, so hopefully these are both fixed for my drive back :).

Efficiency was great. (See the attached image). We took two days to get where we were going, and only had to charge twice a day (despite having reasonably long driving days). We were in Conserve when on the highway, but were generally driving with the flow of traffic (a little over the posted speed, passing some people, but with some people passing us). The 55mph average is mostly due to city driving in the evenings, etc.

Rivian R1T R1S 2000+ mile road trip from Washington to Saskatchewan and back IMG_2517.JPEG

I should note that we had a pretty significant tail wind (30mph) for a good stretch of the #1 highway through Alberta and Sask though.

Charging in Alberta and Saskatchewan remains absolute trash. For everyone who complains about EA, you should really try Petro Canada charging stations. Imaging if you took the worst 10% of EA charging stations, and then built an entire charging network using only those. That's Petro Canada. (Also, PC doesn't show up in Rivian nav, so you're going to be on your own in a lot of places in Canada - or you're going to be stuck with Rivian suggesting only 50kW stations in many areas).

Anyway, so far, so good. Really happy with the truck. It gets a ton of attention in the prairies too :).
Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Holy crap - 3.33 is over 400 miles per 125kw charge.

• Love
Reactions: Max

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

About two weeks into ownership, I figured I should put the truck to the test on a good road trip. The trip is only half done (I'm still in Saskatchewan), but I figured I'd share some early info. So far, the truck has been great. I've developed a couple noises (mostly front suspension, but also some clicking from the rear end that I only notice between about 0-5mph), but nothing that critical.

On I5, the Driver+ stuff was pretty good. Better than I expected. Much better than an Etron. Once we got into Canada though, we only had regular adaptive cruise. It turns out it really sucks when you use the throttle for passing while cruise is active. If you give it a little input, it's almost like cruise is fighting you (and it oscillates between cruise-set speed, and the speed you're commanding with the pedal). If you give it a lot of input (foot to the floor), when you release it once you're past the vehicle you're passing, it lays on the brakes to get you back to the cruise set speed (it really does feel like it's more than just full regen, even). This was extremely annoying, because I normally like to coast back down to cruising speed after a pass. The update notes for the most recent OTA mentions fixing some cruise behavior, so hopefully these are both fixed for my drive back :).

Efficiency was great. (See the attached image). We took two days to get where we were going, and only had to charge twice a day (despite having reasonably long driving days). We were in Conserve when on the highway, but were generally driving with the flow of traffic (a little over the posted speed, passing some people, but with some people passing us). The 55mph average is mostly due to city driving in the evenings, etc.
IMG_2517.JPEG

I should note that we had a pretty significant tail wind (30mph) for a good stretch of the #1 highway through Alberta and Sask though.

Charging in Alberta and Saskatchewan remains absolute trash. For everyone who complains about EA, you should really try Petro Canada charging stations. Imaging if you took the worst 10% of EA charging stations, and then built an entire charging network using only those. That's Petro Canada. (Also, PC doesn't show up in Rivian nav, so you're going to be on your own in a lot of places in Canada - or you're going to be stuck with Rivian suggesting only 50kW stations in many areas).

Anyway, so far, so good. Really happy with the truck. It gets a ton of attention in the prairies too :).
I had to drive out to Medicine Hat AB from Vancouver, then on to Turtleford SK and pretty sure I know the PC you mention. I barely made it there in my xterra to get gas at 1am, and was painfully aware how few EV charge stations there were and of those how many were functional. Something I've become hyper aware of since preording my R1T.

How are the roads in Saskatchewan for you in the T? I remember noticing right away when I left Alberta and crossed into Sask. haha. Also, hows the grasshopper situation this time of year? When I went through it was mid August, and I had grasshopper carcass's glued to sway bars, control arms, wheel wells...

OP
OP

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I had to drive out to Medicine Hat AB from Vancouver, then on to Turtleford SK and pretty sure I know the PC you mention. I barely made it there in my xterra to get gas at 1am, and was painfully aware how few EV charge stations there were and of those how many were functional. Something I've become hyper aware of since preording my R1T.

How are the roads in Saskatchewan for you in the T? I remember noticing right away when I left Alberta and crossed into Sask. haha. Also, hows the grasshopper situation this time of year? When I went through it was mid August, and I had grasshopper carcass's glued to sway bars, control arms, wheel wells...
Moose Jaw PC stations are basically non-functional I think (they were last time I was through the area, before the Rivian). Swift Current PC stations were 50/50 (and there are only two). The Medicine Hat PC stations were completely down, the Co-Op 100kW stations were full (but working), and so we charged at 50kW at a mall while getting some food.

I remember in years past that you could tell the instant you crossed the border. The #1 is pretty consistent on both sides right now 😅. The road itself is fine. It's not dry this year, so I haven't seen a single grasshopper. The R1T killed a gopher though.

There are a lot of bugs (not in Sask specifically, just everywhere). I used some Griots Bug Barricade before I left, and it made it pretty easy to get the bugs off, even just using a pressure washer wand. Highly recommended for summer highway drives anywhere.

Sponsored

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
I'm new to EVs so I just assume the irony of an EV charger under the Petro Canada brand is old news to everyone else? :)

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
That's great efficiency - what wheels do you have?

OP
OP

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I'm new to EVs so I just assume the irony of an EV charger under the Petro Canada brand is old news to everyone else? :)
A cynic might even say the network issues aren't an accident.

That's great efficiency - what wheels do you have?
21s. I'm not a fan of the looks so much (though they're better when you remove the aero covers), but since I impatiently swapped my Max reservation to a Large (and I plan on towing), I figured I could use all the range help I could get.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover

IMG_2517.JPEG

That screenshot should be on the Rivian homepage.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
@mindstormsguy if in Regina, go to Bushwakker. Best brewpub anywhere.

And visit my buddy Chef Malcolm at his eponymous pie shop.

petro’s chargers were great at first. Now that they’re a couple years old stuff is breaking and parts are backordered.

Sponsored

hroussel

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3 perf, (R1T DMP reserved)
It's pretty much the only option for real fast charging, meaning 150kw and up.

There is a Electrify Canada here, supposedly the equivalent of EA in the US, but they are still lagging far behind EA (even taking into account the population difference).

Then after that you have local providers often offering 50 to 100kw max. Like here in the province of Quebec you get these chargers everywhere in every little town, which is great, but the speed is not there.

Not sure how it is in the west, @crashmtb ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I mean, anywhere is a pretty bold claim, but they're pretty good, yeah :). Unfortunately I think I'm a little early for this year's Blackberry Mead release.
Haven’t been many places that can match their combination of atmosphere, long term employees who give a damn, solid, consistently good food, and equally good beer.
I like their mead but the lining up is crazy.

The only things I miss from living in the Regina are beer and food related 🤔
It's pretty much the only option for real fast charging, meaning 150kw and up.

There is a Electrify Canada here, supposedly the equivalent of EA in the US, but they are still lagging far behind EA (even taking into account the population difference).

Then after that you have local providers often offering 50 to 100kw max. Like here in the province of Quebec you get these chargers everywhere in every little town, which is great, but the speed is not there.

Not sure how it is in the west, @crashmtb ?
mb/sask/ab is abysmal if you get off the trans canada.
Sponsored