First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 991.2 GTS, 2018 E63s wagon, 2016 Cayenne GTS
Occupation
emergency physician
Like many here, I am looking between the 20" AT versus 22" AS options. I will not be driving off road (at least intentionally). I happen to be an emergency physician in the Indianapolis area. Currently I have dedicated snow tires for our all wheel drive vehicles but would love to avoid the hassle of seasonal wheel/tire changes. As I see it, the 20" AT option will have better snow traction than the 22" AS and more side wall (5.41" versus 7.04") for a more comfortable ride and better pot hole / expansion joint absorption but may be louder and a little sloppy due to more sidewall flex? The 22" will probably handle better on road but may ride rougher though more quietly?

For someone who has driven on both, what is your take?

Thank you in advance,
Sean from Indy - still waiting for the elusive R1S:)
Sponsored

Aka_Buck

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, 530e
Occupation
Work
So my first mile was on the 22's. I just took delivery and it's equipped with the 20's.

First impression on the 22's was they felt sporty. However in low ride height you'd better dodge potholes. I hit one on the first mile and it bottomed the suspension out and felt and sounded horrible.

For the 20's. I chose them since the area I live in has old cement side streets with asphalt patches. Needless to say the streets around here are terrible and in my model 3 I have to dodge them. In the rivian it's a non issue. Totally comfortable.

However the truck has a harsh ride in lowest setting except when on the highway. The ride it harsh when the suspension has no travel.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Watching this thread as I have the same question. From my original pre-order till tonight, I've always planned for the 20" wheels...then came my surprise invite to the shop tonight and I pulled the trigger on a truck with all my build items except the wheels and a color change (Limestone to Compass Yellow). It comes with the 22" AS tires. I'm curious how they will perform in a Colorado winter...normally not too snow heavy and quick to melt but when you need it you need it. Guess if they're not confidence inspiring, I'll look at purchasing a set of the 20' ATs through the SC.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
FWIW, I’m leaning towards 22’s also. I was 100% in for 20’s but feel like 20’s will be the most common aftermarket size and probably the quickest to market.

I‘ve driven in CO my entire life and there have only been a few times I needed more than good all season tires for my daily driving. And when you add the weight of R1T, I have to think they will be fine.

…and the 22’s are sexy, there are some suitable AT options in 22”, and if they wear as quickly as some are saying, you’ll replace them <1 year. And at $1,200 per for 20’s, it’s going to be a very cost effective option when compared to current custom options I’ve seen. The Rivian designs are strong and while it’s easy to make different wheels it’s going to be difficult to make better looking wheels for the truck.

Are you going with yellow? I preordered LS but CY would be hard to pass on if I was in the shop. Good luck!

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hey John...thanks much for the quick reply and I appreciate your insight on the AS tires in CO. I've been here since 06' but have always had ATs for the winter...this will be a new experience.

Since my original pre-order, I've been on Team Yellow but during my 1st Drive a couple of weeks ago, I saw the Limestone w/OC and really liked it so changed my config. Then tonight, logged on and, WHAM!...got the Shop invite and there was my config in Yellow but 22" dark wheels - everything else was right - underbody, spare tire, power tonneau, etc. I had to pull the trigger!

Pretty exciting...just need to educate myself on the 22"s - good and bad. It's coming now either way...

Sponsored

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Congrats!
Hope to see you and other CO R1T drivers in the future.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Older thread but I thought I'd pass this on. Just had to have my 22" tires rotated after only 2600 miles. Alignment checked good but the R1T has very aggressive camber. Tires were noticeably cupping on outer edge. Hopefully be livable with frequent rotations. Keep an eye on 'em...
Sponsored