atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

my current config is limestone with the black wheels and FG interior. In my mind the green interior will match well. The black wheels are $$$ but dramatically improve the look of the truck. it looks mean and sporty
Sponsored

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Plastidip never comes out well, imo. If you really really really really need them to be black, then I'd look at powder coating or something professional.
+1 and a really good powder-coating operation will charge close to the cost of the upgraded wheels.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Every single vehicle has the offroad upgrade. I feel like if I remove it to save $2k my truck will be delayed 6 months.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Every single vehicle has the offroad upgrade. I feel like if I remove it to save $2k my truck will be delayed 6 months.
I wouldn't worry about it, no non-employee has received their vehicle anyways. It was probably just free for employee purchases.

amitlikhyani

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Defender 90, 2007 911 Turbo, R1T on order
Occupation
Enterprise Software Sales
I haven't seen this before, but it looks like at least a few R1TS with 20 inch Dark AT wheels have been produced. This photo was posted by Hassan Jameel.

image_d341f5da-a11e-42f6-b410-a966f3c71bc320211114_163026.jpg
The blue in the picture looks a lot deeper(and in my opinion better) than the blue on the website. Heading to Venice soon to see the blue in person. Struggling between it, red and yellow.

Sponsored

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

The blue in the picture looks a lot deeper(and in my opinion better) than the blue on the website. Heading to Venice soon to see the blue in person. Struggling between it, red and yellow.
Colors are quite different depending on light and surrounding. But I agree it doesn’t look like that in person. The many YouTube vids will give you a somewhat better idea.

If going to Venice, call ahead cause they sometimes swap cars.

Team Yellow for me, although I’m currently Launch Green till I rationalize the extra ?.

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Having seen Rivian Blue a few times, and in different lighting conditions, I can attest to the fact that all of the photos you have seen are in fact representative of the actual color...
Since every photo looks like a different shade of blue, the above comment may seem odd but, to me, Rivian Blue looks different in every lighting condition and ranges from the deep dark blue in that photo, to a bold and vibrant blue as seen here:
EDIT: Sorry, wouldn't let me upload a photo! (I added it as my profile picture)

Last edited:

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Powder coating is definitely the way to go. Results are far superior to even the most expertly done plastidip jobs.

Not sure why the dark ones are an additional $1700…. I would want to see them first as well. The tinted clear coat finish on them might mean they look like a set of Fuel Off Road wheels I have which are their “satin translucent black anodize“ finish. They look matte/satin black in most lighting until direct sun hits them then they kinda get a bronze look to them since the dark satin black is translucent.
So I just looked up powder coating locations in my area: and one jumped out (only checked one). One interesting point in their FAQ made me wince:
Q: Can we leave our vehicle with you while you powder coat the rims (they estimate it takes 2 weeks)?
A: No, we don't have the security or storage space for that.

Is this common? If so, how the heck would I get them my rims without buying another set of rims?

Hmmmm.

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

has there been any pictures of the black 22"'s yet ? I can't remember seeing any off the top of my head

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So I just looked up powder coating locations in my area: and one jumped out (only checked one). One interesting point in their FAQ made me wince:
Q: Can we leave our vehicle with you while you powder coat the rims (they estimate it takes 2 weeks)?

Is this common? If so, how the heck would I get them my rims without buying another set of rims?

Hmmmm.
Looks like you found the same shop I did. That quickly turned into a hard no.

Sponsored

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I like the dark ones, but they are not worth $3500. I find it crazy that I can get any of the other wheels for $1800, but I have to pay $1700 more for dark

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
This is a picture I took a couple days ago at my neighbors house... Definitely looks lighter and brighter in direct sunlight. I like it, but not sure if I want it long term.

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Rivian Dark Wheels Roll Off the Line Rivian Blue

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Looks like you found the same shop I did. That quickly turned into a hard no.
Jack up car in garage or flat driveway, put it on jackstands and load them into back of your wife's car to get them to the shop.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer

Hmmmm.
This is typical, most powder coaters do far more than just wheels, bumpers or other vehicle accessories. The key is to work with them to better schedule so you can bring them the wheels, they can do their thing and you can have them back and then the vehicle is only out of service for a day or three. Most people I've seen have it done tend to work with a pro detailer who will handle all this for them and typically do other things like paint protection/ wraps, full detail work while it's in their shop and they'll send the wheels to get powder coated while the vehicle is being worked on. Someone still has to unmount the tires, then remount and balance. There's often other prep work that needs to be done to the wheels in the form of sandblasting or a chemical bath, depending on the finish they have to start with.

So, depending on how you want to deal with all these factors, it may or may not make sense to just configure the black wheels to begin with. Personally, I like the all black look, but not wild about the design itself or the price. That and I know I'll be scuffing them up on the trail anyway. So I'll go with the standard 20" AT wheels and then when the time comes I'll buy a new set like I want and there should be better aftermarket options by then to support EV trucks like the R1T and Lightning.
Sponsored