kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Plastidip never comes out well, imo. If you really really really really need them to be black, then I'd look at powder coating or something professional.

FWIW it does come out well if you do massive prep. Just expect endurance to last as long as your tires last (when you switch sometimes it may get "CHIPPED"/torn if the place is rough with wheels). I go to a touchless place and the plastidip has not come off from them yet. With the exception of amazing amounts of brake dust from track use the color has more or less held up decently but obviously if you are tracking something you don't expect clean wheels lol.

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Rivian Dark Wheels Roll Off the Line 1636950286892

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Rivian Dark Wheels Roll Off the Line 1636950262852
Sponsored

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW it does come out well if you do massive prep. Just expect endurance to last as long as your tires last (when you switch sometimes it may get "CHIPPED"/torn if the place is rough with wheels. I go to a touchless place and the plastidip has not come off from them yet. With the exception of amazing amounts of brake dust from track use the color has more or less held up decently but obviously if you are tracking something you don't expect clean wheels lol.

1636950286892.png

1636950262852.png
Those look awesome.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
IDK... While its not a bargain they are pretty awesome looking lol. Just wondering if a powder coater can replicated such option well.
Yes. Where I live in Texas, its $160 per wheel, many color options, complete with re-mounting balance, etc. Way cheaper than factory. Take 1-2days if not too busy.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Powder coating is definitely the way to go. Results are far superior to even the most expertly done plastidip jobs.

Not sure why the dark ones are an additional $1700…. I would want to see them first as well. The tinted clear coat finish on them might mean they look like a set of Fuel Off Road wheels I have which are their “satin translucent black anodize“ finish. They look matte/satin black in most lighting until direct sun hits them then they kinda get a bronze look to them since the dark satin black is translucent.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Powder coating is definitely the way to go. Results are far superior to even the most expertly done plastidip jobs.

Not sure why the dark ones are an additional $1700…. I would want to see them first as well. The tinted clear coat finish on them might mean they look like a set of Fuel Off Road wheels I have which are their “satin translucent black anodize“ finish. They look matte/satin black in most lighting until direct sun hits them then they kinda get a bronze look to them since the dark satin black is translucent.
The website says the black is anthracite. Whatever it is, it must be expensive and presumably tough.

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I think I'd skip powdercoating forged wheels due to potential heat concerns, and if I'm spending the time to prep the wheels for Plastidip, I'd just go ahead and paint them. Paint is just fine for wheels as evidenced by most all OEM wheels, and there are unlimited color/finish options.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
FWIW it does come out well if you do massive prep. Just expect endurance to last as long as your tires last (when you switch sometimes it may get "CHIPPED"/torn if the place is rough with wheels). I go to a touchless place and the plastidip has not come off from them yet. With the exception of amazing amounts of brake dust from track use the color has more or less held up decently but obviously if you are tracking something you don't expect clean wheels lol.

1636950286892.png

1636950262852.png
I've always wanted to switch up my Giulia's dark five holes to something with more pop. What color plastidip is this?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I've always wanted to switch up my Giulia's dark five holes to something with more pop. What color plastidip is this?

Copper Metalizer Wheel Kit from dip your car.

TDWRT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A bunch of German cars
Occupation
Finance
Plastidip never comes out well, imo. If you really really really really need them to be black, then I'd look at powder coating or something professional.
Uhm, disagree. I've been running it on a set of wheels for 5 years now. The key is put it on heavy and remove the edge tape quickly.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The website says the black is anthracite. Whatever it is, it must be expensive and presumably tough.
Anthracite is just a lighter hue of black or a darker due of silver. No more $$ than black, just a fancy name.
Rivian R1T R1S 20" Rivian Dark Wheels Roll Off the Line rims LOTS

Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think I'd skip powdercoating forged wheels due to potential heat concerns, and if I'm spending the time to prep the wheels for Plastidip, I'd just go ahead and paint them. Paint is just fine for wheels as evidenced by most all OEM wheels, and there are unlimited color/finish options.
Powder coating is done at 400 degrees or less, this temp is way below what forged rims are capable of withstanding. Many high end forged factory rims are baked powder coated.
Some uses UV light instead but not every common and possibly not as good due to light traveling straight and most rim surfaces are uneven.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I just wish they weren't high gloss. They look great in the configurator, but...too shiny for my tastes in real life.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Nice! Was wondering if the dark wheel would delay orders.
No worries. Looks like the Rivian finance team will get theirs on time.