Clubs

From the Blue Origin Thread......

Bumble1978

Jeff: RJ, so....we lost a few capsules.

RJ: And...

Jeff: Need an assist

RJ: Call Elon

Jeff: Who?

RJ: LOL...I gotcha. Need last known GPS and we'll have them by EOD.

Jeff: Van's are great by the way. Thanks again. ?✌

RJ: Duh, np. ?

Whyasky

(continues)

Jeff: Actually, one more favor.

RJ: What's that?

Jeff: I'm going to need your VIN 001 R1T. It's going on a rather adventurous trip and it's going to break some records.

RJ: What records? When will we get it back?

Jeff: I'm hoping for fastest EV and largest EV payload to exit earth's atmosphere. And, um, you won't be getting it back unfortunately. It's going interstellar.

RJ: I see. No thanks. We'd rather have the $75K revenue.

Jeff: Why? This will be such great PR.

RJ: I don't need more PR. Have you seen Rivian's Stories? We've got at least 1,000 fanboys on at least one forum. And more importantly, I've got an IPO to manage.

DuckTruck

Continued....

RJ: Hey Jeff, I have an alternate idea for your launch.

Jeff: I'm listening...

RJ: Remember those 1,000 fanboys I mentioned from the Forum?

Jeff: Of course I do! They're AWESOME!

RJ: Well, based on their feedback, I want to honor each of them by sending one R1S 20-inch wheel for each of them out into the Universe with their name engraved on it. Nice, huh?

Jeff: Uh, sure, but at $1,800 each, wouldn't it be a helluva lot cheaper and easier to just send out one R1T into space with all of their names on it? For that matter, send an R1S as well. Do 'em both in Launch Green, just to piss off Elon!

RJ: While that would be fun to show up Elon, my people would not be happy with me knowing two of the vehicles they've been waiting for for years were sacrificed, even as a jab at a guy who calls the Model X an SUV.

Jeff: But they won't be pissed about 1,000 wheels being wasted?!

RJ: Nope. Not pissed, not missed.....
Sponsored

Wiffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 4Runner SR5 4WD
Any idea if powder coating the rims would have any impact on warranty/service? I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

I'd never looked at the R1T rims before, they look soooo much better, can't imagine why they just didn't come standard on the R1S to begin with...the $1800 up charge seems absurd to me, but not quite as absurd as the $3500 up charge for black rims. As has been said many times, I thought they were giving LE holders upgraded wheel options, really doesn't feel like it.

At this point my plan is to try to find a good shop to powder coat the stock 20s.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Any idea if powder coating the rims would have any impact on warranty/service? I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

I'd never looked at the R1T rims before, they look soooo much better, can't imagine why they just didn't come standard on the R1S to begin with...the $1800 up charge seems absurd to me, but not quite as absurd as the $3500 up charge for black rims. As has been said many times, I thought they were giving LE holders upgraded wheel options, really doesn't feel like it.

At this point my plan is to try to find a good shop to powder coat the stock 20s.
They are giving you the 22's as a free option. That saves 1800 over non-LE

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
They are giving you the 22's as a free option. That saves 1800 over non-LE
Free 20's as well, but not dark for either, and not the 20' R1T wheels for the R1S.

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Surprising on the LE the 22's are free and they want $1800 for the 20's... If that silliness doesn't change I'll keep the 22" option.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I chatted with CS to ask about why there’s an upcharge and they said it's because the R1T rims were factored in to the cost of the R1T, but not the R1S. And that the R1T wheel design is considered an "accessory" for the R1S. The answer doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I would say that if you want an R1S with the 20's from the R1T, write in to CS and let them know how absurd it is that we have to pay an upcharge for it. Maybe if enough of us bring it up they will reconsider. The analogy I used (unsuccessfully) to convey the ridiculousness of the situation is as follows:
It's like saying that the chicken sandwich comes with a free coke, but we have to pay to swap to a fanta, while the fish sandwich comes with a free fanta, but we have to pay to swap to a coke. Why not make both drinks available for either meal?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Surprising on the LE the 22's are free and they want $1800 for the 20's... If that silliness doesn't change I'll keep the 22" option.
The 20's ARE a free option for the LE. You just have to choose the non-dark wheels that are specified for you model (R1T or R1S).

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I chatted with CS to ask about why there’s an upcharge and they said it's because the R1T rims were factored in to the cost of the R1T, but not the R1S. And that the R1T wheel design is considered an "accessory" for the R1S. The answer doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I would say that if you want an R1S with the 20's from the R1T, write in to CS and let them know how absurd it is that we have to pay an upcharge for it. Maybe if enough of us bring it up they will reconsider. The analogy I used (unsuccessfully) to convey the ridiculousness of the situation is as follows:
It's like saying that the chicken sandwich comes with a free coke, but we have to pay to swap to a fanta, while the fish sandwich comes with a free fanta, but we have to pay to swap to a coke. Why not make both drinks available for either meal?

I get what you mean but I also get their perspective. Having extra wheels allocation throws off the count on the backend of theirs where they need 100x set of wheels for a R1T and now some of those wheels are going to R1S vice versa so they have to order more for the R1T and have extras of other ones of ones that people dont want laying around. I know it doesnt seem like an issue to us but scale it up and it becomes a inventory issue/nightmare. I suspect that the pricing is merely to pay the supplier to supply extra XYZ sets as they already ordered a certain number for both models.

Just from what I imagine, that being said, if they can give me a extra set for the same price Ill happily pay it :)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Read post #26 in this thread, brings a little context to cost basis and why an additional charge makes sense.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I get what you mean but I also get their perspective. Having extra wheels allocation throws off the count on the backend of theirs where they need 100x set of wheels for a R1T and now some of those wheels are going to R1S vice versa so they have to order more for the R1T and have extras of other ones of ones that people dont want laying around. I know it doesnt seem like an issue to us but scale it up and it becomes a inventory issue/nightmare. I suspect that the pricing is merely to pay the supplier to supply extra XYZ sets as they already ordered a certain number for both models.

Just from what I imagine, that being said, if they can give me a extra set for the same price Ill happily pay it :)
Read post #26 in this thread, brings a little context to cost basis and why an additional charge makes sense.
I did go back and read #26 and I guess it makes sense from their end to a certain degree. I'm less mad about it now :D, but still not convinced that Rivian knows exactly how many LE R1T or R1S orders will make it to completion, let alone which ones will have which wheels. Also, if I configure my LE R1S with the R1T 20s and pay an extra $1,800, what happens with my OG R1S wheels? There's some value being lost there and I guess the annoying thing is that it's happening on the consumer side.

Anyway, I'm over it - I might be one of the few who actually doesn't hate the R1S 20s, so I'm going with those for now ...

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Great! I just finished lunch, and now I'm hungry again! ???

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
The 20's ARE a free option for the LE. You just have to choose the non-dark wheels that are specified for you model (R1T or R1S).
The R1S 20" option is free, and ugly IMO. This thread is about the R1T 20" wheel being available for the R1S.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The R1S 20" option is free, and ugly IMO. This thread is about the R1T 20" wheel being available for the R1S.
Understood, and I agree, but your post made it seem as though you were saying there were no free options.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Don’t powdercoat alloy wheels, unless you use low temp powder. You can easily overage the alloy when baking.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Don’t powdercoat alloy wheels, unless you use low temp powder. You can easily overage the alloy when baking.
A quality shop knows what they're doing, and they coat alloy wheels all the time.
Sponsored