Sponsored

20 inch AT wheels only selectable with all-terrain upgrade

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
I just got the invitation email to configure my R1T (reservation placed June 2022). The configurator only allows 20 inch AT wheel selection with the All-terrain upgrade which includes the underbody protection and spare tire. Likewise, if you want the 21 in or 22 in wheels then the underbody protection and spare are not available. Makes sense as Rivian is consolidating and simplifying production. Anyone else experience this as well?
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Interesting. Any changes to pricing from what is in the 'visualizer'?

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
This is good to know. I haven't locked in my tire desire yet.

One option has been to simply buy the 20" AT tires and a spare. Doing this, I would accept the range hit and increased wear.

My other other option would be to have two sets of tires, one the 20" AT's, the other the 21" road tires. For pavement trips, use the 21" with a 20" as a spare. For snow or logging roads, use the 20" with a 21" spare.

If they aren't willing to make adjustments so that I can do the second option, I may just have to go with the first option and see how that works.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Hah, so they require the spare and RUS to get the 20s now, but those of us who got the RUS and 20s had our spare removed from our config and you still can't get one in the shop. Ridiculous.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Interesting. Guess it makes sense trying to reduce the number of configurations.

Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Interesting. I’ve noticed posts of R1 vehicles available in the shop showing Rivians built with 22” wheels and the RUS — and I always thought it was a curious configuration choice.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Interesting. I’ve noticed posts of R1 vehicles available in the shop showing Rivians built with 22” wheels and the RUS — and I always thought it was a curious configuration choice.
my shop truck came with a RUS and 21's, and ya... weird.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

my shop truck came with a RUS and 21's, and ya... weird.
I can see a case for 21’s for max efficiency and the RUS because the owner plans to also buy a set of 20s with AT tires to be able to go where a RUS is important.

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
Unfortunately at present switching tires between 20 AT's and other sizes is an exercise in patience as it requires a trip to the Service Center. Hopefully this will move into the software one of these years ...

Last edited:

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That's how I ordered my R1S. You can always change the wheels but you can't add the underbody protection.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Unfortunately at present switching tires between 20 AT's and other sizes is an exercise in patience as it requires a trip to the Service Center. Hopefully this will move into the software once of these years ...
Why does it require a trip to the service center? Can’t you just use the new tires without accurate range?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I just got the invitation email to configure my R1T (reservation placed June 2022). The configurator only allows 20 inch AT wheel selection with the All-terrain upgrade which includes the underbody protection and spare tire. Likewise, if you want the 21 in or 22 in wheels then the underbody protection and spare are not available. Makes sense as Rivian is consolidating and simplifying production. Anyone else experience this as well?
Don't worry, things will change 12 times before you get your vehicle.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Hah, so they require the spare and RUS to get the 20s now, but those of us who got the RUS and 20s had our spare removed from our config and you still can't get one in the shop. Ridiculous.
Inside job!!!!

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Now u beginning to feel the Rivian love.
Sponsored