Sponsored

20" AT Tire Wheel Aero Covers -- Could this be an option?

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
Does anyone know if there has been any discussion on having some type of removable "Aero Covers" that could be available for the 20" AT tires (to reduce some of the range penalty stemming from the move from the more efficient 21" street tires to this choice.)

I figure it wouldn't be much but could add a few percent back to the 10-15% stated penalty...
Sponsored

Reactions: Rod

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Does anyone know if there has been any discussion on having some type of removable "Aero Covers" that could be available for the 20" AT tires (to reduce some of the range penalty stemming from the move from the more efficient 21" street tires to this choice.)

I figure it wouldn't be much but could add a few percent back to the 10-15% stated penalty...
The rolling resistance of the more open AT tread is probsbly a bigger impediment to range. Daresay if it was worthwhile they’d have done it.

OP
OP
OrthoBlock

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I think you're right. But every little bit helps :)

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30169467/tesla-model-3s-aero-wheel-covers-efficiency-test/

If this is in anyway correlating it seems like 1 - 5% improvement could be real...
I asked the CS reps about the inserts for the 20s and they told me that there was no info in them, maybe in the future. I remember seeing them in the past, so I'm waiting for my Guide to ask, or if someone with a guide could ask about them, it would be great

Reactions: Rod

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius

This conversation makes me wonder (ok, I already have) what the weights are on the various 20" wheel options and if any of them offer an aerodynamic advantage over the others (the brights seem to have less of a gap, but that doesn't really tell me). I'm not sold on one based on appearance so I'd pick either of the lower options based on other characteristics.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This conversation makes me wonder (ok, I already have) what the weights are on the various 20" wheel options and if any of them offer an aerodynamic advantage over the others (the brights seem to have less of a gap, but that doesn't really tell me). I'm not sold on one based on appearance so I'd pick either of the lower options based on other characteristics.
The black ones and the bright finish ones are the same wheel, just different colours.

Their flat face is probably more aerodynamic than the dark grey ones, though. Maybe not enough to make a difference.

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

I had a similar question in the EPA thread, and have a picture that I took this post from @Lucanjo.

Rivian R1T R1S 20" AT Tire Wheel Aero Covers -- Could this be an option? 1630759978188-jpe

From what others have said so far, Customer Service stated this is no longer an option. Still worth imagining though!
Sponsored