Sponsored

20” wheels with with all seasons (Michelin Defender LTX M/S 275/65R20) ?

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
This is an exceptionally un-sporty tire based on my Silverado. Constant squealing in turns and it simply couldn't put down any power (regardless of various pressures tried). I know I drive more aggressively, but I'd definitely not consider this tire for something with almost twice the power of my old truck.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Well.. my guess is that driver got a flat or damaged a tire and that was the best he could come up with, since the Rivia n Specific tires are so hard to come by. That tire will also probably be a little quieter and last a little longer the the AT tread. I have purchased tires at Costco, but they don't always have the best tires for my applications. I do better when I order from Tirerack and just take them to my local tire shop who could care less what I put them on.​
I had no trouble getting two new tires. Ordered from tire rack and had them shipped to the local discount tire, it was an adventure showing them how to lift the truck but getting the tires was quick and easy.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
So all tires are H rated and very few replacement tires will meet this rating in these sizes. As noted above, that spec Michelin is a heavy tire. The Defender 275/60/20 is a 115 load but only a T rating and thus Costco told me they would not do this.
If Costco insists on your tires being rated up to 130mph (H), as opposed to 118mph (T), you could go with the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. It's more of a touring tire, whereas the Defender is considered a highway all-season. We have it on our minivan and we're happy with it so far.

Rivian R1T R1S 20” wheels with with all seasons (Michelin Defender LTX M/S 275/65R20) ? Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
A lot of those tires had much higher tire pressure than the Rivian Scorpion. I wonder if that will throw off the tire pressure sensors. I would be interested in switching out the OG tires after they need replacing as I mostly want the rim while maximizing range. I don’t plan on going off-roading too much.

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Interesting. I was just corresponding with Rivian on what the actual OEM specs are. I've had 3 tire stores tell me they will not change tires unless the replacements meet the OEM's Load and Speed Ratings.

My response from Rivian:
The 20" All-Terrain wheels come with the Pirelli All-Terrain Plus tires (275/65R20). They're H-rated tires with a 116-load index rating. The 21" Road wheels come with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tires (275/55R21). They're also H-rated tires with a 116-load index rating. The 22" Sport wheels come with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season tires (275/50R22). These tires are H-rated but with a 115-load index rating. Both tires that come with the 21" and 22" wheels are XL rated due to the needed reinforced sidewall structure. These three tires are marked with both "RIV" and "ELECT" to indicate Pirelli developed them for our vehicles.

So all tires are H rated and very few replacement tires will meet this rating in these sizes. As noted above, that spec Michelin is a heavy tire. The Defender 275/60/20 is a 115 load but only a T rating and thus Costco told me they would not do this.
Thats why you:
A. Don’t go to a stupid big box store to do this
B. Just take the wheels (which obviously makes things less convenient because it puts all the work on you) but relieves them any liability…if they ask what type vehicle this is for make something up!😳 ie “your mom’s” 😵🤣😂

Sponsored

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
I believe that has long as you have a load rating equal or above to OEM you’re all set. As far as speed rating I think you’re in the clear (but I’m not a legal counselor).
Costco won't do it. I was short by 1 mph on replacement tires for a BMW and they told me to pick a different tire. I don't think other shops are as picky.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

If Costco insists on your tires being rated up to 130mph (H), as opposed to 118mph (T), you could go with the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. It's more of a touring tire, whereas the Defender is considered a highway all-season. We have it on our minivan and we're happy with it so far.

Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3.jpg
Except that Costco only sells Michelin/BF Goodrich and Bridgestone tires.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
As someone who is smack in the middle of very messy car accident litigation, the reason the big shops won't mount the tires is because they could potentially be liable for substantial damages on account of negligence if you blow a tire and get hurt or hurt someone else. Maybe the small mom and pop shops will mount them. Maybe snows are often lower speed rating. But after seeing how ruthless insurance investigators can be, I am personally taking zero chances in the future with my own liability.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Interesting. I was just corresponding with Rivian on what the actual OEM specs are. I've had 3 tire stores tell me they will not change tires unless the replacements meet the OEM's Load and Speed Ratings.

Seems pretty silly since we're limited to 115, A T rated tire is good for 118. And there's always a safety margin your tire doesn't explode at exactly 118mph.

Also I don't think I can buy Y-rated snows even though my car came with Ys, the liability argument is bunk. I'm the driver, I own the liability already.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Seems pretty silly since we're limited to 115, A T rated tire is good for 118. And there's always a safety margin your tire doesn't explode at exactly 118mph.

Also I don't think I can buy Y-rated snows even though my car came with Ys, the liability argument is bunk. I'm the driver, I own the liability already.
there are various W rated snow tires. That’s “only“ 168mph though.

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport

Even more of a margin when you consider the R1T is actually governed to 110 mph even though speedometer shows 115 mph.

johnstuder

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3.jpg
Nice Pacifica. We are also now a Pacifica + Rivian house. I still suprised at how fast the Pachy goes through tires. Really need to rotate them every 6 months (I forget and do it once a year). Will be interesting to see how often the R1T needs rotations.
Sponsored